Bowel Incontinence

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
UsScot

Bowel Incontinence

Post by UsScot »

Hi. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. Today I had the most embarrassing moment of my life to date. I felt the need to go to the bathroom at work and went to 3 different bathrooms. I work Oil&Gas so the last one was the shop floor restroom. I was having difficulty holding it with all the walking as they aren't close. I had to wait on a stall opening all while trying to play it cool. Finally one opened up. I knew the person coming out. When I got in I had already leaked in my pants. By the time I got them down it was too late. I had gone all over the toilet. I literally wanted to crawl under a rock and die. I didn't realize how bad it was when I heard the person in the next stall say "what the F&$@!" Then he proceeded to tell other people in the locker room how I needed to get my ass kicked. I could hear him outside the locker room telling people his 2 year old could hold it. I stayed in the restroom as long as I could and cleaned it up the best I could. Then left with as little number of people seeing me. I had to throw away my shirt it was ruined. Luckily I had a shirt on underneath. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I am absolutely dreading going back on Monday. I don't know what to do.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Bowel Incontinence

Post by jimmylegs »

hi are you taking any meds or supplements that could be causing this side effect? specifically i am wondering about magnesium oxide. or similar.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
UsScot

Post by UsScot »

I recently moved from copaxone to tecfidera. I had horrible stomach pains when I first went on the 250mg twice a day so the dr kept me on the 125mg for a month.
UsScot

Post by UsScot »

Not taking any Magnesium oxide. Just vitamin D
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ouch sounds like a tecfidera side effect.
tell your doc - aside from the social issues, chronic diarrhea is a health issue as well.
you can't benefit from nutrients when meds are firing everything out of you before it has a chance to absorb!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
UsScot

Post by UsScot »

I hope not. I'm more worried right now about the social aspect. People in my environment at work aren't too understanding when it comes to MS. They don't understand it. I was hoping someone had overcome a similar situation that could offer advise?
Kronk
Family Elder

Post by Kronk »

That's a horrifying experience man... I once hurled in the middle of a high school assembly, on a couple people. I would suggest you just avoid contact for a while as much as possible. His reaction was likely due to shock more than anything. The fact it happened on a Friday is likely a good thing as this can be forgotten. If you are ever put in a situation where you must explain just say your doctor put you on some powerful meds and it rotted out your guts. Tell them Shit Happens... The disgusting talk that filters around the trades at some of my previous job sites makes this pale in comparison. Don't sweat it man, keep your head up, it could happen to anyone even without MS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

go to the doc! don't let a treatment result in ostracism. medicine is supposed to improve your quality of life!
when I had trouble with GI symptoms it was from mag oxide and I switched to a more absorbable form. problem solved.
unfortunately I can't offer strategies to deal with tecfidera side effects, other than things to combat diarrhea, like zinc and iron
also potentially psyllium husk (aka Metamucil), which would help turn liquid into gel (not sure it would affect urgency though)
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

Bowel incontinence is a known symptom that can occur with MS. This has happened to me, I also have trouble holding wind which can be truly embarrassing. I think this has to do with weak pelvic floor muscles that make it very difficult to hold things in. My worst nightmare is having diarrhea on an airplane.

http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis ... lem-linked

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sympto ... l-Problems

I understand this to be related to lesions in the spinal cord that help us control the lower body.

I no longer work and am able to plan my day around access to a bathroom, but know that you're not alone. It helps to be as regular as possible with regard to trips to the bathroom.

Talk to your neurologist about this symptom. Perhaps certain drugs can make this problem worse.
Last edited by Quest56 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
CCSVI Procedure 9/16/2009 at Stanford
Stent in left and right IJVs
SPMS
Copaxone
Former Ampyra User
Regular Botox Bladder Injections
300mg d-Biotin / day
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

Sorry that happened to you Scot.

I agree with jimmy that this could be tecfidera related.

You could consider changing medications or possibly changing your diet or doing kegel exercises.

Some people take immodium if they get diarreha with tecfidera.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Welcome to ThisIsMS, UsScot.

Bowel/bladder incontinence is a common symptom of MS, but that fact doesn't make it any easier to deal with. If you do a search on the topic, you will find much discussion here, such as:

in the Regimens forum, “Bowel Health-Cause and Effect”

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... c6479.html
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
ABeautifulMind

Post by ABeautifulMind »

Hi UsScot,

if it happens again and I really hope it doesn't, tell people you have been trying to lose weight using Alli (or one of the other pills that stop people absorbing fat) but you ate a few burgers - if you eat fatty food when you're taking these the results are messy.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

I really do feel for you as I did have similar problems for a long time and it took a lot of management. If nothing works then you need to plan to induce a motion early rather than when it just decides to happen. When you empty its usually so complete that you are right for the day after that. I did it by really having a big breakfast and then drinking strong black coffee at 8.30am and waiting a few minutes. The toilet was nearby and I managed ok.
As a better solution if your eyes are wide open read what I tried here - http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 24261.html . The Lactoferrin seemed to really reset my bowel and now it is absolutely normal. I would definitely take a probiotic every day for the rest of your life but get the most active type you can. (Might be a practioner brand behind the counter). The reason I say "eyes wide open" is I found Lactoferrin had some effects whilst I was taking it. It was uncomfortable but completely transitory and it was very beneficial for the bowel. Please read the post in full so you know what to expect. There won't be any lasting negative effects and maybe you won't have the problems I had. I suspect I had another underlying issue that was stirred up. God knows what! A good well behaved bowel is heaven.

Regards
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

I think you should tell people that they shouldn't make comments about things they don't understand. And then just walk away.

Return to “Introductions”