Hello--son with possible MS

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
linda75

Hello--son with possible MS

Post by linda75 »

Hi group--I like to introduce myself. I'm new to MS and have a lot of questions/concerns which is why I'm here--our son is showing signs at the age of 13. Slurring speech, slow movement, chronic fatigue. He's afraid to go to the doctor ...hope we can share in our difficulties as we begin this process...
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Hello--son with possible MS

Post by ElliotB »

Welcome to the forum.

There are many things you can do to help your son feel better at this point until you get him to a doctor and get a diagnosis. And you should have him checked out as soon as possible. Don't delay.

Keep in mind that there are hundreds of diseases that mimic MS. And it could take months until you get any kind of diagnosis. Things you can do immediately to help him include diet change, supplements, exercise and insuring he gets enough sleep.

There are numerous MS diet choices, with the main theme of all of them being the reduction of saturated fat. The Swank diet recommends reducing saturated fat to less than 15 mg per day. This will not be easy because kids don't want to give up their favorite foods. I battle with my wife and 12 year old son over this. But at this point, drastic action is necessary to help your son feel better and you have to be insistent. I suggest you look into the Paleo diet and for the short term at least, have him avoid dairy, wheat, soy, legumes, potatoes and nuts. No fried foods at this time. Limit his intake of sugar - no soda or diet drinks. And if he will eat vegetables, deep greens would be recommended. You may want to have him checked for food allergies. I also strongly recommend that any meat he consumes come from 100% grass fed animals. There are several good sources online. 100% grass fed meats are low in saturated fat and high in omega 3 fat, and all the fats within the meat are properly balanced for good health. Another good source for diet information is from Dr. Terry Wahls. This forum has numerous sections on diet. If he likes seafood, wild caught salmon and tuna are high in omega 3. Avoid farm raised fish. While these changes are drastic, they could help turn thing around for him.

As far as supplements go, there are many you can take but a few critical ones to start with would be D3, Omega 3, a good multi and B12. I would suggest you have his vitamin levels checked immediately (today) and start him on vitamins today. Again, there is a lot of information on this site with regard to supplements.

As far as sleep goes, insure he gets to bed on time in the evening so he gets at least 8-9 hours of sleep. A mid/late afternoon nap 15-30 minutes, would likely be very beneficial to him as well.

If he is able to exercise at this point, have him do exercises that don't get him hot or overheated. Swimming is excellent. Walking is a good starting point. If it is warm in your area, get him a cooling vest.

I wish you and your son luck with a speedy and favorable diagnosis and recovery.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi and welcome linda :) what is your son's daily routine like? is he normally active? how are his eating and hydration habits?

if you are interested there's a lot of nutrition info here
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... c2489.html
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Welcome to ThisIsMS, linda75. (You have a good name there!)

I hope you have a PCP or pediatrician who has a good rapport with your son. In the first appointment discuss a written list of all your son's symptoms. Ask for the initial testing to rule out a vitamin B12 deficiency: #1 serum B12 test, #2 serum folic acid test, #3 serum homocysteine test, and #4 a urinary methylmalonic acid test (uMMA) – do not begin taking any vitamin B supplements before the testing, as doing so will skew the test results.

"Everything You Want Your Doctor to Know about Vitamin B12"

I highly recommend this 50-minute documentary from the filmmaker Elissa Leonard, featuring Sally Pacholok, RN, BSN & her husband Jeffrey Stuart, D.O. (authors of the book, Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses); Lawrence Solomon, M.D., hematologist with Yale Medical School; Ralph Green, M.D., hematologist at UC Davis; and Donald Jacobsen, PhD, at the Cleveland Clinic (Homocysteine Research Lab).

@1:23 "The neurological manifestations well precede the hematological manifestations."

Part one tells the story of a boy about your son's age, I believe. Please watch this documentary, and get the book if possible – maybe from your library.

We wish you all the best and are here for you if you have further questions.
want2bike
Family Elder

Post by want2bike »

Let Dr. Bergman explain autoimmune disease to you. Your son can get better if you follow the right path. Read as much as you can because the choices in treating disease should be yours.

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Here's something you might want to look into...

Leaky Gut and an Immune System Run Amok

The People's Pharmacy recently interviewed a mother of a three your old son who was diagnosed with juvenile idiopathic arthritis. The doctors had put her son on methotrexate, but the side effects were too much especially for a three year old. Instead, she tried treating him for leaky gut syndrome (intestinal permeability) using diet and supplements. After some time, her son, who had needed help getting out of bed due to pain in his joints, was up and running around again.

The interview is still freely available at this time.
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/07/20/911/

Return to “Introductions”