Newly Diagnosed

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
cooteye

Newly Diagnosed

Post by cooteye »

Hi I have had problems with walking, balance and extreme tiredness since Feb up to that point was very healthy. I was on holiday in Turkey when symptoms first appeared and ended up in hospital out there. Since returning to the Uk I seem to have spent more time waiting for appointments than getting any nearer a diagnosis. I was finally diagnosed with Relapsing Remittent Multiple Sclerosis in the middle of September and at first just felt relieve to have a diagnosis but now feel frightened and confused. I Live alone and am finding it increasingly difficult to cope with everyday life. Could anyone tell me what to expect and if there are medications available to help with the walking and tiredness. So far have had 3 consecutive days IV Methylpredinisolone ( which doesn't appear to have any affect ) and Amitripyline to help alleviate the electric shock like symptoms. How long till the remittent part of the diagnosis kicks in ? I don't have an appointment to see a Ms consultant until 3 November ( which seems an age away ) and am waiting for a physio session. Is there anything I should be doing to help myself ? Any help would be gratefully received.
kengriff
Family Member

Re: Newly Diagnosed

Post by kengriff »

As a new member in this Forum, I would like to say that your symptoms are so mush critical to me and you should go to your consultant for proper diagnosis.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hello and welcome. anything you can do to improve diet and lifestyle can only help. what's your healthy routine been like up until feb when symptoms appeared?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
cooteye

Post by cooteye »

Thank you for replying.Prior to becoming ill I would say I had a very healthy diet and life style. I used to spend many months a year in Turkey with plenty of walking, swimming , and a diet comm prizing of fresh fruit,vegetables, fish, rice, bread , nuts and the very occasional glass of red wine. Although spending a lot of time somewhere with a plentiful supply of sun was very surprised to be diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency. I smoke but have cut it down to 5 a day since becoming ill and although would love to be able to cut it out completely I am finding at the moment while my life is in such turmoil they are very useful to keep me calm. I have always been very active and I am really struggling to cope with being so house bound.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

no problem :) what would you say were your top five fruits and top five veg that you typically consume? what kind of fish, rice and bread do you eat most often? what kind of nuts do you choose most often?
fyi vitamin d3 from sunshine depends on a few other factors being in good order internally, so if you can figure out what's going on there you'll likely get better results from sun exposure.
excellent idea to quit smoking!
i'll look forward to hearing back from you re additional diet details :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"I would say I had a very healthy diet"

Unfortunately, not everyone is in agreement of what is a healthy diet is. Especially for someone with MS. MS diets differ greatly. I suggest you check out some of the major MS diets available, plus the Paleo diet, plus Dr. Wahls' diet. Perhaps at that point, you may have a better answer of what may be a healthy diet for you. I was diagnosed 1 1/2 years ago, and like you thought I had a very healthy diet. It is my opinion now that I was wrong, and I have modified my diet numerous times in the last 1 1/2 years based on continued research and hope that the diet I am currently following is truly a health one!
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Quitting smoking is the first step you should take. Pick a day and work up to being ready to quit.... I said I was going to quit the day I got an actual diagnosis but that didnt work. I was way too stresed out on the spot lol..... A week later I decided it would be my last day and I havent smoked one since then.

Learn as much as you can about MS so that you can take the proper steps towards what you can do. Medication, diet/nutrition, exercise, lifestyle changes, are all things you can use to better your situation. What works for some doesnt work for others.... ( thats I why I do all of those things ) haha

I hope the best for you.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Cigarette smoking is known to accelerate the progression of MS.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/07/ ... FP20090714

By the way...

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/introduct ... ml#p222595