Finally Diagnosed with MS

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
NatyAZ

Finally Diagnosed with MS

Post by NatyAZ »

Hi All!

My name is Natalie and I am 30, from Tucson, AZ. I was officially diagnosed with MS about a month ago. The diagnosis was actually a relief for me, and I strangely felt happy when I got the news.

Not that I am happy to have MS, but I first started having symptoms 10 years ago when I was 20. I was attending college in TN and one day started feeling numbness in my feet. The numbness slowly spread up throughout my whole body. I was a music major in college, and played violin for the orchestra there. The numbness was so bad that I couldn't feel my violin strings while I was playing. I will never forget the look on my orchestra conductor's face of confusion as to why I was making so many mistakes during a performance. Over the next several months, I drove hours to different cities and doctor's only to get no answers as to what was happening to me.

Eventually I came back to AZ and saw a neurologist here who promptly ordered a brain AND spinal MRI and found that I had white matter lesions on both my brain and cervical spine. At the time she said there wasn't enough to diagnose me with MS so we would just have to "watch" it.

The numbness pretty much subsided over the next several months, although I still have some numbness in my hands/arms and feet. In the past year I have had an increase in other symptoms, such as major fatigue, ticks in my face, numbness in my face, tinnitus, balance issues (especially when hot), trouble focusing my vision at times, and mild difficulty swallowing. I also have anxiety and get panic attacks so most of the time I just told myself, this is just in my head, it's just anxiety or I'm imagining it.

I went back to my doctor who ordered another MRI and basically found the same lesions she saw 10 years ago (no new lesions). However, for whatever reason she said that we should go ahead and diagnose me with MS. One of the reason's she gave is that it's very unusual to see lesions on the brain AND spine. I asked her if I had probably had MS all this time and she was hesitant to say, but said that it's likely.

I also have low Vit D levels, but my B12 levels are high - probably due to the fact that I take 5000mcg every day to help with fatigue.

I decided on Tecfidera for treatment, and am just waiting for all the insurance stuff to go through but will be starting probably within the next week or so.

It's just nice to finally get a definitive diagnosis and plan moving forward. I now know that I'm not crazy or imagining things. There's always a reason to eat healthy, exercise and generally take care of our bodies. However, knowing that I actually have MS gives me more motivation to do those things. I have gone back to eating mostly Paleo, and trying to lower my salt intake. Exercise is probably the hardest for me. I work at home, and I am so tired most days it's so hard for me to force myself to go out and exert energy. I know I have to do it though.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read and I look forward to talking with all of you!

Natalie
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Finally Diagnosed with MS

Post by ElliotB »

Welcome to TIMS. My diagnosis was also a relief for me! My symptoms were so bad I thought it had to be something much, much worse.

There are a lot of things you can do for yourself to help get better sooner and stay well. Read through the many threads on this site - there are volumes of valuable information and insights.
Ejonesbowlie
Getting to Know You...

Post by Ejonesbowlie »

Hi There,

I was just recently diagnosed too. However, I have had symptoms since my 20's and here we are 20 plus years later! I agree in that even though no one in there right mind wants this disease..it is a relief to finally put a name to all of the symptoms and start some kind of treatment.

I wish you all the best :-)

Beth
gramcjk
Getting to Know You...

Post by gramcjk »

Hello Natalie. Welcome. Please research Ladymacs' advise regarding diet before you start Tecfedera. You will save yourself a lot of GI issues. I did so and was very lucky to have a very uneventful start with Tecfidera. Good luck. Stay strong.

GRAMCJK
NatyAZ

Post by NatyAZ »

Thank you all for your encouraging words and advice!

Natalie
Poe

Post by Poe »

I was diagnosed about a month ago. I too was relieved to finally have an answer. I started having symptoms nearly 4 years ago about a year after I had my daughter. I blew it off as just tired from working a full time job and raising 2 kids. Its hard for people who aren't going through it to understand what's happening to you. I'm a doer for everyone and I'm having to learn it's ok to say no or I can't. Even if no one understands why.