Hello everybody!

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
clermont

Hello everybody!

Post by clermont »

Hello everybody and I hope you're doing well...
I want to ask about something that I experienced in June 2011. So what happened:
I fell off my bike, with no injury at all... but it did stress me psychologically, as it was on some very steep hill and a dangerous road.
I've been stupid and started smoking 3 months before that time. I quit smoking as soon as symptoms appeared as I got really scared. I was 24 at that time.
One day, around seven days after my fall from bicycle, I was sitting in front of my computer and all of a sudden, I started feeling pins and needles in my feet, especially left foot. Lasted quite some time… and it slowly transformed into numbness which slowly lost intensity, but I experienced changed feelings in my feet for at least 6 months. Most strongly in the first 2 weeks. In first weeks I also experienced dizziness and fainting feelings a few times (without actually fainting) and feelings of derealization twice, while I was walking outside. I also felt more tired than usual in my legs after that. Symptoms were strongest in first 2-3 weeks.
Had a neurological exam which was mostly fine, but paresthesias were noted and I was sent to do an MRI...The doctor also said: "It could be nothing... or it could be a lot of things"
I went on vacation first, not wanting to spoil my vacation, so I postponed MRI.
During vacation my symptoms got much better, so I decided not to do MRI at all because I was really scared of it, and I was getting better.
Gradually my symptoms (changed sensations in legs and some tiredness in legs) almost disappeared and I never had any new symptoms and attacks since that time.
However I still feel my left leg more than my right leg and it gets tired more easily. And still sometimes if I drink alcohol, I can feel some numbness in my feet.
My changed feelings were most pronounced in my feet especially when touching certain types of material or fabric, like when putting on my socks or when touching sheets on my bed.
Now all those symptoms have pretty much disappeared and I have no disability and I function normally. I never actually had any real disability. But I did get tired easily in first 2-3 weeks, and I wasn’t able do sports as much as before that time. But now I can do sports normally.
Sometimes I still feel some numbness in feet in much weaker form, for example when I am drinking, or after a lot of exercise. Also when I walk I still feel something in my left leg, like getting tired a bit more easily.
It's been exactly 3.5 years since that time, with no new attacks or symptoms, thank God. And I feel good and function normally. So I ignored it pretty much, until a recent documentary on TV reminded me of it.
Does it seem like I had a first attack of MS? Maybe I should do this MRI thing to give myself a peace of mind?
Or maybe I would seem like a hypochondriac if I wanted to do it after such a long time?
BetsyJoy

Re: Hello everybody!

Post by BetsyJoy »

My suggestion is. . . don't jump into conclusions, go and get checked. MS is more complicated, I have had MS for my last 30 yrs. Blessings!
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

I agree don't assume anything..... ever when dealing with MS.

I was in a very similar situation as you and jumped out of an MRI machine. I made excuses for each symptom I had last year. Finally I "woke up" and said this is not normal I need to know what is happening to me. It took me a long time to be ready and comfortable with the fact I would most likely will be diagnosed with MS.

I loved having my head buried in the sand pretending I was perfectly fine. I did that for 5 years after my CIS at age 19. But once my second attack (last year) was finishing up I ran out of excuses and explanations lol..... It has been nothing but smooth sailing since then. I have made all the proper changes that need to be done with diet, exercise, nutrition, medication, and life style modifications to fight back.

Ask yourself this, will you be happier with "your head in the sand"?..... ignorance is bliss.
or
Will you be happier knowing whatever it is and getting your answer?

It could be many different things as well, it doesn't have to be MS. It could be as simple as a b12 deficiency or other nutrients.

Betsyjoy, I applaud you for dealing with this crap 30 times longer than I have :) lol. Only god knows what I will be like 30 years from now..... especially if they cant "cure" this crap or at least stop it.

Best wishes,

Chris
BetsyJoy

Post by BetsyJoy »

Look for Vitamin D deficiency. For years I had Vit D deficiency and because I live in a sunny Island, doctors did not pay attention to this (I prefer to think it was ignorance. Not knowing that some bodies had absorbency deficiency. Blessings to all!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi and welcome clermont :) seconding the others, it's good to take action and investigate your health concerns.

betsy - low mag is associated impaired vit d3 absorption from sunshine... to my knowledge no direct study of a correlation, let alone a causal link, has been done yet. but there are studies which when reviewed together demonstrate a correlation. hopefully someone will address this interesting research question soon :) (or maybe they already have.. but i haven't checked for updates today!)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
BetsyJoy

Post by BetsyJoy »

Yes! It was ignorance and low magnesium that caused my Vitamin D problems for years.

Thank you.

Return to “Introductions”