Hello everyone

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
MrChris
Family Member

Hello everyone

Post by MrChris »

Hello all,

My name is Chris and am a 31 year old male. I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in January of this year after 5 long months of testing. Mri, blood tests, visual evoke potential lumbar puncture..you know..all the good stuff :)

I look forward to reading other peoples stories, gain knowledge as well as sharing it where i can.

Tomorrow marks a fairly big milestone, as i will be starting treatment.

I look forward to conversing with other MSers

Stay positive. You cant change your situation. The only thing you can change is how you deal with it.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Jimpsull »

Chris,

I was near your age (I was 29) when I was diagnosed. I want to encourage you. 12+ years I am still living a full life with a family, a job, and a variety of interests.

I am very grartful for Copaxone, which has kept relapses minor. I wish I had started on the Swank diet back in 2003 because it has a bigger impact on progression than the medications do.

Anyhow, best wishes to you on your journey.

( :

Jim
MrChris
Family Member

Post by MrChris »

Thanks, Jim.

I'm very positive and take each day as it comes and I try not to worry. I believe staying mentally fit is a key positive factor in any disease.

As for my first Copaxone injection..welp...i injected into my left thigh and set the auto injector to an 8, which regrettably was too deep and I hit the muscle. Not great first experience but not horrible. I shot again last evening into my upper left buttocks and the experience was much more enjoyable. Only a slight stinging and a pressure feeling the lasted roughly 30 min accompanied the injection. Onto round 3 today.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

8 is pretty deep but it could have just been a bad spot. Sometimes it hurts, sometimes you can't even feel it. I find holding it firm against the skin helps a lot. Do you heat the area first?

I was diagnosed last year at 25 years old, I am male too. My first attack was at 19 years old though. I have done 175 injections so far. Mess around with the way you do it pressure, heat, ice, depth, places, etc. That way you can find what makes it easiest.

Best wishes,

Chris
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

MrChris, did you have a nurse come out to go over the use of Copaxone with you? He/she would have gone over and helped estimate the correct injection depths for each injection area. If not, you should contact shared solutions for assistance. Getting the injection depths correct at the various injection areas is imperative for your comfort.
MrChris
Family Member

Post by MrChris »

Hi Elliot,

Indeed I had a shared solutions nurse attend my house to show me how to use the auto inject. He went over and guestimated injection depths. Unfortunately he guestimated wrong for my thing lol. I have quite a bit of muscle on me and maybe he didn't take that into account? Nine the less he recommended a 10 for abdominal area, 8 for my thighs and buttocks and 6 for the back of my arms. So far ive injected everywhere except for my arms as i cant even pinch an inch. Im thinking a 4 might be appropriate. Trial and error and time will tell.

Return to “Introductions”