Newly Diagnosed, not new to this suffering

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
Kitties

Newly Diagnosed, not new to this suffering

Post by Kitties »

Hi. I was diagnosed one month ago today, but suspect I've had this disease for at least nine years and possibly a lot longer, maybe even more than 20 years when I was still in the military. I would get sick and tired and clumsy for awhile and it would get better, but each time it came back it was worse. The first time I partially lost vision was nine years ago. I also have Fibromyalgia, Hemoplegic Migraines, Peripheral Nerve Damage, Bipolar (top DX on my medical records and why I'm discounted so easily), and a host of lesser problems like Asthma, Carpal Tunnel, and Arthritis. I can't remember them all. Oh yeah, and I had PCOS that turned into Ovarian Cancer and I'll be reaching 5 years in remission in just a little while.

I get my care through the Veterans Administration and until last year my medical care has come through a revolving train of medical students at a 'teaching' VA hospital, so frustrating it made me want to scream. After appeals to my Senator I was finally assigned to a NP who went through my medical records and got mad, was in disbelief at what she saw, and got me into the MS center for evaluation. The first doc I saw there immediately discounted everything I said. I appealed to the Nurse again and she got me in to see another. This time he ordered a spinal tap and it showed the IGG bands and he ordered all kinds of tests to rule anything out. Lo and behold, only MS remained. This probably isn't an unfamiliar story.

I'm taking daily Copaxone for the MS, Gabapentin for Peripheral Nerve Damage, Depakote for the HM (which also works better for the Bipolar than any Bipolar meds ever did so I've refused the old ones so I'm now also labeled as "Noncompliant"). Over the last few years I've gradually changed my diet from the standard American garbage to organic fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, home made veggie juice, and water and quit smoking. I believe the dietary changes have helped in general, at worst they can't hurt me. I'm currently reading Dr. Wahls book.

I spent hours last night reading entire threads off this forum and wanted to say hello instead of just being a lurker.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Newly Diagnosed, not new to this suffering

Post by lyndacarol »

Kitties wrote:Hi. I was diagnosed one month ago today, but suspect I've had this disease for at least nine years and possibly a lot longer, maybe even more than 20 years when I was still in the military. I would get sick and tired and clumsy for awhile and it would get better, but each time it came back it was worse. The first time I partially lost vision was nine years ago. I also have Fibromyalgia, Hemoplegic Migraines, Peripheral Nerve Damage, Bipolar (top DX on my medical records and why I'm discounted so easily), and a host of lesser problems like Asthma, Carpal Tunnel, and Arthritis. I can't remember them all. Oh yeah, and I had PCOS that turned into Ovarian Cancer and I'll be reaching 5 years in remission in just a little while.

I get my care through the Veterans Administration and until last year my medical care has come through a revolving train of medical students at a 'teaching' VA hospital, so frustrating it made me want to scream. After appeals to my Senator I was finally assigned to a NP who went through my medical records and got mad, was in disbelief at what she saw, and got me into the MS center for evaluation. The first doc I saw there immediately discounted everything I said. I appealed to the Nurse again and she got me in to see another. This time he ordered a spinal tap and it showed the IGG bands and he ordered all kinds of tests to rule anything out. Lo and behold, only MS remained. This probably isn't an unfamiliar story.

I'm taking daily Copaxone for the MS, Gabapentin for Peripheral Nerve Damage, Depakote for the HM (which also works better for the Bipolar than any Bipolar meds ever did so I've refused the old ones so I'm now also labeled as "Noncompliant"). Over the last few years I've gradually changed my diet from the standard American garbage to organic fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, home made veggie juice, and water and quit smoking. I believe the dietary changes have helped in general, at worst they can't hurt me. I'm currently reading Dr. Wahls book.

I spent hours last night reading entire threads off this forum and wanted to say hello instead of just being a lurker.
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Kitties. In my opinion, being proactive with your diet and labeled as "Noncompliant" are very fine attributes!
DavidRaymondGay

Post by DavidRaymondGay »

Thanks for sharing! Re vamping your life is one of the best things you can do when diagnosed! Eating better, sleeping more, working out- they all help! Have you tried out any personal development routines? I have a morning routine that helps me be positive and gain energy in the morning. I read, work out, meditate, journal.. It is great.

Dave
Jennyfer30

Post by Jennyfer30 »

Hey welcome to the community. I am new myself here but from everything I have read so far I think its a great place to be to talk, ask questions, or to vent.
The first doctor I went to completely disregarded what I tried to say to him and gave me anti anxiety medicine and told me to just relax I was fine. But did get an official apology when he did eventually find out he was wrong. They told me also I have had the ms for at least 8 years before I was diagnosed.
How have you been feeling...Have you found a routine that works for you...
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Welcome and know you among friends!