Diagnosed and confused

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
Mbates1990

Diagnosed and confused

Post by Mbates1990 »

I was diagnosed last year and I was in complete shock. My symptoms were slurred speech and my eyes unfocusing. Now I have trouble walking long distances and my legs are in constant pain. My neurologist says that its not caused by the MS but all other test for auto immune diseases come back negative. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Diagnosed and confused

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad time. The doctors and the literature don't make it easy when you are coming from a zero knowledge base.

Have they put you on any medication yet?

There are a lot of people who will give you advice hear and are keen to help. The more details you can give us the better.

If it helps here's how I think about it - http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... 24019.html

Each of us is a little different. Try to look for things you can identify with or feel free to ask questions so you can build up your own knowledge. MS is something you need to take ownership of or someone else will take you on a futile journey.

Regards
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

What kind of pain are you experiencing?
Mbates1990

Post by Mbates1990 »

I was on Copaxone 40mg for about 9 months but the bruising and scars were extremely bad. Recently, my doctor put me on Tecfidera and I am waiting for that prescription. My entire body is in constant pain. I can feel it mostly in the joints though.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Mbates1990 wrote:I was on Copaxone 40mg for about 9 months but the bruising and scars were extremely bad. Recently, my doctor put me on Tecfidera and I am waiting for that prescription. My entire body is in constant pain. I can feel it mostly in the joints though.
Welcome to ThisIsMS. Some people have had bad gastric side effects from Tecfidera. You may wish to read through some of the posts on the Tecfidera forum that discuss ways to minimize those side effects.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/tecfidera ... arate-f52/
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I tried Tecfidera but found it too uncomfortable. The are some FDA warnings regarding its use so ensure that your neurologist has checked if you have the normally benign virus JCV which appears to be activated by prolonged use.

Joint pain is tricky. The usual approach is to offer you a pain management option like Lyrica. I chose not to go that path as I would not know how I really felt if I masked it. Lots of things can cause the pain but many can be relieved by very regular massage and stretching and toning exercises such as Pilates and Yoga. You don't have to be an Olympic athlete but you do have to be diligent. 2-3 times a week helps whilst once a week does nothing. Is the joint pain in the hips, the shoulders or somewhere else? The earlier you address any pain this way the better.

What other symptoms do you have?

Regards