New here; doctor is looking for ms.

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
Kenimowy

New here; doctor is looking for ms.

Post by Kenimowy »

Hello everyone.
I'm a 31 year old female.

I don't know a whole lot about ms other than my grandmother and her sister bother had it, my grandmother got dementia from it and her starter lived 30 years with it.

My neurologist thinks I may have it.
I was referred to a neurologist after I visited my primary doc for tingling that turned into intense itching in my legs that just wouldn't stop.

My complete list of symptoms goes on and on, tingling, itching, weakness in my hands and legs, burning sensation in my legs, feeling water drops on my skin that aren't there, etc.

I had a follow up today with my neurologist to discuss mri and EEG results. The eeg was normal, but my MRI showed two spots on the left side of my brain and one on the right cerebellum. She expressed that the ones on the left could be nothing to worry about but the one in the right is concerning. I have no idea what this means.

So now I am going to have a spinal tap to confirm or deny ms I am guessing? Plus I am to come back in December for another MRI to look at the spot that's concerning.

Do these "spots" sound like ms? I'm really on the verge of being really freaked out :( but I'm hoping for the best...
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: New here; doctor is looking for ms.

Post by ElliotB »

Did you have a MRI done of your spine?

There is a set of guidelines called the McDonald criteria used to diagnose MS (FYI there are about 400 illnesses that mimic the symptoms of MS).

You can read more about the McDonald criteria here:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Nation ... -of-MS.pdf
Kenimowy

Post by Kenimowy »

They did an MRI of my head and neck only.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

My doctor wanted to do a spinal tap as well but I was concerned about the pain I could experience. It became unnecessary after I had the MRI of my spine done.

Return to “Introductions”