Recent Dx'ed

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
thebattlewalrus

Recent Dx'ed

Post by thebattlewalrus »

Hi all -

I am a 33yo male and was Dx'ed with RRMS in Sept 2015, I was having a right eye issue that my eye Dr. couldn't figure out (it wasn't due to ON, it was the location of a lesion) and he kept telling me to ride it out... I went to my primary and he got me an MRI the next week which showed 3 active lesions and 3-4 inactive ones. About the time of the MRI I was actually flaring up with my first dose of a "real" relapse and had all the fun classic symptoms of MS. Numbness, tingling, weakness in right forearm, and some cognitive issues. I am nearly back to normal, the right eye is still always blurry and I get some occasional jittering but other than that no major lasting issues. My guess is I have probably had it for 1-2 years, what my neuro and I consider my CIS was in 2014. I consider myself lucky in terms of getting my Dx pretty quick, my eye Dr. had already run some VEP testing when I started having my eye issues and I was relapsing during my neuro visit so I didn't get dragged through a long testing cycle like some people unfortunately go through. Also did have some blood work, a couple lyme tests, and no spinal tap.

I'm on Tecfidera and tolerate it very well (blood counts have barely dropped also) but will be going ahead with HSCT, a few of us in the family have a medical background so fortunately a lot of the information and research papers are relatively easy to understand and have decided that will be the longer term route to go.

I still mountain bike, do yoga, trail run and hope to keep it that way as long as possible :)
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Re: Recent Dx'ed

Post by Youarethecure »

Seems like you know what your doing. That is really good.

It also is a good sign that your body has returned back to good health. Especially so fast. A lot of people don't get so lucky. I am able to get pretty close to normal between relapses too. I am also male, but a little younger at 26. Been dealing with MS issues since 19.

HSCT seems like a very promising treatment. It is the closest thing to a cure in my opinion. Diet, nutrition, exercise, lifestyle changes and medication have all shown to help. I keep my self in top physical shape and weight lift 5 to 6 days a week. I think that is the biggest thing I do to fight against MS.

Best of luck,

Chris

Return to “Introductions”