I'm not really "new"

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
Cautious

I'm not really "new"

Post by Cautious »

I was first diagnosed a year after having my oldest son right after a frightening bout of optic neuritis.

That child is almost eleven now.

I set out on the Internet to learn as much as I could and was faced with every bleak and downtrodden, personal website known to man. No hope or humor. Also no escape as there were also posts disparaging people who didn't want to embrace their new future. It was a straight stab to the heart.

Because of this and all of the reports about how ill the injections make you, I spent most of the next decade refusing medication and hoping for reasons why. How can an illness be real if there is no real cause?

I had the liberation procedure done in 2011. I immediately felt better. Colors were vibrant again. I had so much energy. I was happy and confident enough to leave my abusive spouse and start my life over.

Last weekend I got engaged. Last weekend I had a relapse. I am currently sitting here with double vision (not optic neuritis). Today I went to the ER and cried when they gave me a scan and commented on the white masses behind my eyeballs. I felt defeated.

But with my babies being older and a new life waiting for me I am taking the step toward treatment. I am biting the bullet and asking for a script of Tecfidera. No injections and mild side effects. I have so much going on in my life that I owe it to myself and everyone else to do this. But it still hurts.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Re: I'm not really "new"

Post by Youarethecure »

Understand the possible side effects of tecfidera. It has been linked to multiple cases of PML, which is a very severe brain disease. There are side effects of all medications but PML is the worst case scenario of all them. I personally do not feel its worth the risk for a drug that is newer and hasn't been around like all the other drugs. All treatments (try to) do the same thing, and that is to limit relapses. Everyone and every treatment is different. What works for some, may not work for you or me, etc.

Trust me when I say the shots become more than normal after a while. It becomes routine. If you ever take that route at any point. I did copaxone for 2 years but I became allergic to it. I have not taken any medication in 7 months now.

There are many things along with medication that can hopefully help slow down your MS. Diet, exercise, nutrition and lifestyle changes can greatly impact your quality of life. I personally swear by exercising and weight lifting. I weight lift and do cardio 5 to 6 times a week plus I am a chef/pizza man. I constantly keep my body in motion and never give in no matter how bad I feel, or how tired I am.

I highly recommend you do more research on treatment options. Every single treatment option has different side effects. Not all the shots leave you feeling ill. Again, everything is different for everyone.

Best wishes,

Chris
Cautious

Post by Cautious »

And with that bit of encouragement, hasta! I learned not to join non-supportive support groups when I was a new mom. :-)

Seriously. What are you thinking?

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blog ... te_24.html

Way to try to throw dread and fear at someone trying to be okay with life and try something new to make it better. Not coming back to read the response. Better things to do.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Well you took that completely the wrong way, I apologize for that.

I was just trying to inform someone who is considering a new drug of the possible side effects.... that is all. That is "what I was thinking". There are many people who are unaware of this very not so mild side effect of that drug.

Return to “Introductions”