MS Symptoms?

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
MonicaTrip
Getting to Know You...

MS Symptoms?

Post by MonicaTrip »

Hey everyone! I can really use some guidance/advice here. I was diagnosed with Lupus years ago, I'm 33, and since I was about 11 my ana has been 1:1280. Recently it dropped to 320 and then suddenly came back normal for first time ever. I have been with out medical care due to no insurance but recently have gotten some and have been to rheumy and am waiting on tests to come back. So I am waiting to confirm I still have lupus, but in meantime, over last few mths, I have been having on and off numbness in center of face and upper lip, gums, and teeth. I had a seizure for first time in December & have since then been having eye twitching, seeing spots and flashing lights. My eyes have been achy and feel like have a lot of pressure. I was told by eye doctor that I may have glaucoma but need to have pressure levels retested. Since June 2015 I have been having leg heaviness, weakness in legs and arm, headaches/migraines, random muscle twitching that last only seconds- like my thumb or my calf for examples. Have been having vision issues- like everything looks like its moving, or things to me look lighter in color- this comes and goes & lasts seconds, also have been having trouble with occasionally having strong urges to pee, sometimes don't make it and it trickles, I keep peeing and still feel like I need to go- don't have uti. These bladder issues are worse in the morning and I do not have all the time- just every so often but will have it for like a week in a row. Have also been itching all over- mainly face- also feel dizzy and unsteady on my feet at times. I have been falling and bump into all doorways!!! Does anyone think this sounds like MS or am I crazy? I have a neurology apt. scheduled. Any help would be appreciated.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: MS Symptoms?

Post by lyndacarol »

MonicaTrip wrote:I can really use some guidance/advice here. I was diagnosed with Lupus years ago, I'm 33, and since I was about 11 my ana has been 1:1280. Recently it dropped to 320 and then suddenly came back normal for first time ever. I have been with out medical care due to no insurance but recently have gotten some and have been to rheumy and am waiting on tests to come back. So I am waiting to confirm I still have lupus, but in meantime, over last few mths, I have been having on and off numbness in center of face and upper lip, gums, and teeth. I had a seizure for first time in December & have since then been having eye twitching, seeing spots and flashing lights. My eyes have been achy and feel like have a lot of pressure. I was told by eye doctor that I may have glaucoma but need to have pressure levels retested. Since June 2015 I have been having leg heaviness, weakness in legs and arm, headaches/migraines, random muscle twitching that last only seconds- like my thumb or my calf for examples. Have been having vision issues- like everything looks like its moving, or things to me look lighter in color- this comes and goes & lasts seconds, also have been having trouble with occasionally having strong urges to pee, sometimes don't make it and it trickles, I keep peeing and still feel like I need to go- don't have uti. These bladder issues are worse in the morning and I do not have all the time- just every so often but will have it for like a week in a row. Have also been itching all over- mainly face- also feel dizzy and unsteady on my feet at times. I have been falling and bump into all doorways!!! Does anyone think this sounds like MS or am I crazy? I have a neurology apt. scheduled. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to ThisIsMS, MonicaTrip. Your symptoms are consistent with many conditions (including MS – but MS can only be considered after the other more likely causes have been ruled out).

I have no medical background, but I suggest you see your GP and start by ruling out nutrient deficiencies.

In my opinion, the first thing is to request a vitamin D blood test (This is called the 25-hydroxyvitamin D test; if insurance won't cover it, it is inexpensive – about $50) – do NOT begin taking vitamin D supplements before testing. Over 1/2 of Americans have vitamin D deficiency (I have read some estimates that put it at 80%.). A vitamin D deficiency can manifest with neurological symptoms, as well as others – optimal levels of vitamin D are needed by all body systems:

One list of symptoms common with a vitamin D deficiency included:
1. Chronic Pain
2. Muscle Weakness
3. Skin Itchiness
4. Constant Overtiredness
5. Depression
6. Sweaty Head
7. Flu/Respiratory Infections
8. High Blood Pressure or Heart Disease
9. Chronic Kidney Disease
10. Constant Infections
11. Asthma Attack
12. Chronic Gum Disease (Swollen, Bleeding Gums)

Other sites include:
"Dry skin is the most common symptom of vitamin D3 deficiency. It is mostly caused due to the lack of antioxidants.
Thyroid gland problems – Vitamin D3 is crucial for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland."

Lupus
"Vitamin D deficiency common in patients with SLE, linked to disease activity" September 4, 2015
http://www.healio.com/rheumatology/lupu ... e-activity

You are not crazy! If your next medical appointment is with a neurologist, ask him to order testing for vitamin D. In addition, ask him to order testing for a possible vitamin B12 deficiency, which often has neurological symptoms like yours.

By the way, request your own copy of any test results – it is important to have the actual numbers.

I find the information at http://www.GrassrootsHealth.net to be quite helpful.
MonicaTrip
Getting to Know You...

Post by MonicaTrip »

Thank you, I really appreciate your time. I know about the vit D as a lupie, so thank u! I learned to be my own advocate when trying to get Lupus diagnosis so I try to always get med records, believe me, I know I need those, lol!! As with Lupus, MS symptoms can be all over the map. I just had an Aunt who had MS and know some people with it and just was concerned when these new set of symptoms showed up. I really appreciate you taking the time to offer some advice and guidance. I will definitely ask about those tests- I have been curious due to what I have seen new in Lupus about my Vit D and B 12 levels anyway. Again, I thank you!!
MonicaTrip
Getting to Know You...

Post by MonicaTrip »

Update: Got a neurology appointment for tomorrow, no idea how I got one so quick, but does anyone have any advice before I go to my first appointment? I would really appreciate any advice