New to MS, new to this site

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
Tryingtobeme

New to MS, new to this site

Post by Tryingtobeme »

I have spent some time on this site reading the posts and responses and found it to be very supportive. I live in Canada and have recently (March) been diagnosed with MS. Shocking news to be sure...I have an active life and thought that I had a pretty good diet (limited gluten, dairy and grains). My first response was research to understand more about MS and how diet may impact this condition. At the same time, my neurologist recommended starting Copaxone. In my research I came across Dr. Terry Wahls' Protocol and started (2 weeks now) her diet and have included supplements (Vitamin D, Omega 3, Magnesium, Digestive Enzymes) into my diet. I am also considering Copaxone. Is anyone doing both? What are your thoughts? Any other guidance that it makes sense for me to consider. I look forward to your feedback and support.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: New to MS, new to this site

Post by lyndacarol »

Tryingtobeme wrote:I have spent some time on this site reading the posts and responses and found it to be very supportive. I live in Canada and have recently (March) been diagnosed with MS. Shocking news to be sure...I have an active life and thought that I had a pretty good diet (limited gluten, dairy and grains). My first response was research to understand more about MS and how diet may impact this condition. At the same time, my neurologist recommended starting Copaxone. In my research I came across Dr. Terry Wahls' Protocol and started (2 weeks now) her diet and have included supplements (Vitamin D, Omega 3, Magnesium, Digestive Enzymes) into my diet. I am also considering Copaxone. Is anyone doing both? What are your thoughts? Any other guidance that it makes sense for me to consider. I look forward to your feedback and support.
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Tryingtobeme. For being so recently diagnosed (March), you are to be commended for your positive attitude and action already.

Perhaps you have already found the Coimbra High-Dose Vitamin D Protocol sub forum here (http://www.thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-h ... tocol-f57/); several of us here at TIMS are trying it (but no dramatic success stories yet that I know of). In my opinion, a vitamin D test (the "25-hydroxyvitamin D test") before beginning supplementation is the best route (it is important to know the serum level – each person has an individual, unique response to the amount of vitamin D taken in). There are doctors who recommend a serum level of 80-100 ng/mL be maintained in people with neurological symptoms. (Depending on the starting level and how readily the person absorbs D, the dosage required will vary from person to person.)

If you did not have this test, I encourage you to ask your GP (or neurologist… or any doctor) to order it for you now. (By the way, request your own copy of any test results – it is important to have the actual numbers.)

Years ago I used Betaseron for 3 years, followed by 7 years of Avonex, followed by Copaxone. I saw no improvements during that time, so I discontinued all the approved MS drugs. It is a personal choice – with your research and advice of your doctor, you will choose what is best for you.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Glad to hear you are leading an active life.

In addition to any medication or supplement take up pilates or yoga so that you exercise the muscles groups that are often missed to keep them long and lean. Tight muscles are a difficult thing to resolve. Massage should become a way of life as sometimes they need a hand.
The first page of this note is my basic view and the rest is spread out across the post - http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... 24019.html

Regards,
Tryingtobeme

Post by Tryingtobeme »

Thank you all for this very helpful advice. I will work to incorporate pilates into my workout - I am also exploring reflexology as research suggests that this is also a helpful protocol. I have also requested a Vitamin D test kit to see where my Vit D levels are and I will ask my doctor my level of B12. Although I have made diet changes, I am still waiting for the insurance company to approve Copaxone...a much longer process than I had expected. Thank you again.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I am on Copaxone and following a diet very similar to the Wahls Protocol, and am doing well. Please keep in mind that although Dr. Wahls sometimes refers to 'organic' meat, you only want to consume grass fed meats and wild caught (not farm raised) seafood.

You should probably consider going gluten free if you have not already done so.
Tryingtobeme

Post by Tryingtobeme »

Yes, I have gone gluten free and buy grass fed meat. I am even adding organ meat. Liver is so much better than heart:-)

Return to “Introductions”