Hi from Vicky in London, UK - any advice?

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
vickyt515

Hi from Vicky in London, UK - any advice?

Post by vickyt515 »

Hi Everyone,

I just stumbled across this website and i am glad i have, been under going tests for MS as I also have CRPS Type 2 AKA RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) and damage to the Ulnar Nerve with Neuropathy in my left arm and elbow.

I had an episode of Optic Neuritis in my right eye reason why i have been undergoing tests for MS, the optic nerve testing came back normal thankfully but i am confused with the MRI results of the brain.

I'm not of a medical background but i have had to do tons of research into my sympathetic nerve condition and also the neuropathy, the results i got in the post was:

There is mention of a peripheral high signal focus in the posterior right frontal lobe on the T2 axial images which is not seen on the FLAIR images, this has been confirmed by the Neuroradiologist that this focus is partial volume effects - could these be the start of lesions forming?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Vicky (vickyt515)
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Hi from Vicky in London, UK - any advice?

Post by lyndacarol »

vickyt515 wrote:I just stumbled across this website and i am glad i have, been under going tests for MS as I also have CRPS Type 2 AKA RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) and damage to the Ulnar Nerve with Neuropathy in my left arm and elbow.

I had an episode of Optic Neuritis in my right eye reason why i have been undergoing tests for MS, the optic nerve testing came back normal thankfully but i am confused with the MRI results of the brain.

I'm not of a medical background but i have had to do tons of research into my sympathetic nerve condition and also the neuropathy, the results i got in the post was:

There is mention of a peripheral high signal focus in the posterior right frontal lobe on the T2 axial images which is not seen on the FLAIR images, this has been confirmed by the Neuroradiologist that this focus is partial volume effects - could these be the start of lesions forming?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Vicky (vickyt515)
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Vicky (vicky515). We are glad you found us.

Like you, I have no medical background. I cannot "shed any light on this" – your MRI results.

With my current interest in vitamin D, I am curious to know if any doctor, in the course of investigating possible causes for your symptoms, has ordered the "25-hydroxy D test" for you. (Over 1/2 of the world's population is deficient in vitamin D.) If you have had this test, I hope you can share the actual number results with us.
vickyt515

Post by vickyt515 »

Hi,

No I havent had any tests but my doctor immediately put me onto Vitamin D once i got the Optic Neuritis, I am seeing the doctor on the 16th May so I will ask them if further testing is required, I am seeing the Neurologist on the 18th of which I will be having serious words with them, it took them 6 months to give me my results and a follow up appointment only after I called them and had a right go at them :(

I cant stand situations where I need to 'almost lose it' to get something done, I will be taking this further legally speaking.

Any results I do get I will definitley share :)
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

vickyt515 wrote:No I havent had any tests but my doctor immediately put me onto Vitamin D once i got the Optic Neuritis, I am seeing the doctor on the 16th May so I will ask them if further testing is required, I am seeing the Neurologist on the 18th of which I will be having serious words with them, it took them 6 months to give me my results and a follow up appointment only after I called them and had a right go at them :(

I cant stand situations where I need to 'almost lose it' to get something done, I will be taking this further legally speaking.

Any results I do get I will definitley share :)
In my opinion, your doctor was wise to have you start vitamin D. Be aware that each individual has his own dose-response. (In other words, two people can take the same dose of vitamin D3 – one person may raise the serum D level efficiently to a higher level; the other person may not function as efficiently and may not achieve that same level.) It is important to monitor with regular testing to be sure that the target level has been reached and is maintained. (You must have the actual numbers for this.)

The California-based organization, GrassrootsHealth, (http://www.GrassrootsHealth.net) may be of interest to you with their suggested ranges. (Since London, UK, has a high latitude, the Sun's rays are not conducive to making vitamin D in the skin – there is a good chance you are deficient in vitamin D.)

Although you are not diagnosed with MS, you may be interested to know that there is evidence linking vitamin D to the frequent symptom of optic neuritis in MS:

Vitamin D status may relate to severity of acute optic neuritis in multiple sclerosis, new research says (2014)
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitamin- ... ch-says-2/

Preventive effect of vitamin D3 supplementation on conversion of optic neuritis clinically definite multiple sclerosis: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled pilot clinical trial.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23250818

I applaud you for playing an active role in your health. After all, it is YOUR health!
vickyt515

Post by vickyt515 »

Thats some good info there, I have saved them to my favourites and have signed up for the newsletter as well :)

Because we have the NHS over here, general healthcare is free but you pay for prescriptions and can wait months for tests and results.

The doctors are not always helpful unfortunately and i have had a lot of experience with bad doctors, one of them tried to say my nerve damage was in the mind, i slammed her down immediately with the research, symptoms and knowledge i have gained in researching, she backed down and shut up immediately lol

I will definitley keep everyone posted on any tests and results, something as to be done and looked into more with these conditions.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

Be sure to research the Swank diet and the OvercomingMultipleSclerosis research of Dr Jelinek.