Diagnosed August 4, 2016 - Dr. Recommended Copaxone

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
candims

Diagnosed August 4, 2016 - Dr. Recommended Copaxone

Post by candims »

Hi. My name is Candice and I am 46 years old. I just got diagnosed with MS and the doctor wants me to start Copaxone injections. I'm kind of scared to take it because I'm not sure what to expect. My symptoms are dizziness, nausea, random pains in arms and legs. My left leg goes numb and sometimes my foot drags. I have lesions now in my brain and spine. I could use some support that's why I'm here. Thanks.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Diagnosed August 4, 2016 - Dr. Recommended Copaxone

Post by ElliotB »

Hi and welcome.

DMDs like Copaxone are supposed to reduce the number of relapses you experience in the future but are not supposed to help with current symptoms. I have been on Copaxone for about three years and did find certain specific symptoms disappeared immediately upon starting it (I have read others with similar experiences). No one really knows for sure if any of the DMDs really work, but IMHO, it is not worth taking a chance not taking one.

I use the Autoject and am very happy with it.

Some tips...

I apply heat for 5 minutes prior to injecting and ice for 5 minutes after the injection - the recommended time is 1 minute but I find the extra time beneficial. Also, it is important to find the correct injection depth at each injection site. Too deep and you will hit muscle (painful). Too shallow and you can get bumps/welts. It took me months of trial and error to get the ideal depth for each site giving me absolutely no injection site reactions of any kind.

Shared solutions will send a nurse to help you get started. Taking Copaxone is really easy!

Best of luck and hope you are feeling better soon.
candims

Post by candims »

Thank you. Very helpful information.
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Post by daverestonvirginia »

Candice, I was dx at 45 and started Copaxone within a couple months, that was 11 years ago. doing really well no complaints. I realize I have posted this before, but I also went on the best bet diet and a high vitamin D. My feeling was try everything I could to slow down the MS. It has worked for me so far, lately I have added 3 or 4 times at the gym every week. I think the exercise has been a great addition. Dave
theworldcontinues

Post by theworldcontinues »

Hi there, I have had very similar symptoms, doctor recommended the same for me. I have used the Copaxone about 5 times now and it has been easy. I am 45 and had my first attack a few weeks ago, though possibly one 3 years ago and it was misdiagnosed. Hope to keep this at bay as long as possible. Still have some residual effects but i think symptoms are going away daily.