Hello from the Motor City

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
thoeld716

Hello from the Motor City

Post by thoeld716 »

Hello my name is Dave, I am from Michigan and am married for 24 years raising 2 boys 18 and 22. I was dx'd in 1997 with RR. I used to take Copaxone but never thought that it helped. Taking Gilenya now for 2 1/2 yrs. Recently I started seeing more and more ms patients using Vitamin D so I thought that I would give it a shot. I would like to hear from anyone who is trying Vitamin D. How much are you taking and have you had any improvements. Feel free to ask me any questions that you might have. Thank you.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Hello from the Motor City

Post by NHE »

thoeld716 wrote:Hello my name is Dave, I am from Michigan and am married for 24 years raising 2 boys 18 and 22. I was dx'd in 1997 with RR. I used to take Copaxone but never thought that it helped. Taking Gilenya now for 2 1/2 yrs. Recently I started seeing more and more ms patients using Vitamin D so I thought that I would give it a shot. I would like to hear from anyone who is trying Vitamin D. How much are you taking and have you had any improvements. Feel free to ask me any questions that you might have. Thank you.
Welcome to ThisIsMS. I take 2000 IU of D3 with dinner since taking D3 with a meal that includes fat was shown to increase D3's absorbance by 32%.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... ml#p241213

I also take a 1000 IU sublingual tablet.

You'll want to take a good magnesium supplement when using high doses of D3. Take half your daily dose of magnesium with your D3 and the other half separate from your D3 (for example a morning/evening routine). Taking magnesium will help prevent the high doses of D3 from depleting magnesium and increasing spasticity and/or muscle cramps. Try magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate as they are better absorbed than magnesium hydroxide.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Hello from the Motor City

Post by ElliotB »

Hi and welcome to TIMS. I have been taking high doses of D3 for a couple of years now. I currently take 20,000 IU in the morning and 15,000 IU in the evening. I was at one point taking twice as much and have previously taken less, but never less than 15,000 IU daily.

Information on the optimal amount to take varies depending on the source so your best bet may be to do extensive research and then decide. Also, your current D3 level, determined through blood tests, needs to be taken into account. The 'normal' scale has a fairly large range from a lower to a higher amount - and nobody really knows for sure what the 'right' amount is.

Just curious...

" I used to take Copaxone but never thought that it helped. Taking Gilenya now for 2 1/2 yrs."

What was your experience on Copaxone and how is it different now on Gilenya?

Return to “Introductions”