Homeless With MS

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
ScottyRushing

Homeless With MS

Post by ScottyRushing »

Hello,

I received my diagnosis of MS a couple of years ago after struggling with symptoms for many years. The tipping point was optic neuropathy in 2011 which led to an MRI of the brain. It has been difficult. I've managed to keep working but a recent hospitalization led to being evicted and left homeless. I think a great mistake of mine was not applying for disability earlier. I have started the process now so hopefully that will help. Despite MS I have still managed to improve other areas of my life. I got my college degree at 47 and was Outstanding Sophomore of my school. If you Google Scotty Rushing Florida Tech you can see the stories they did on me. Anyway, I searched MS message boards to find someone to talk to. I don't have any family and it gets hard sometimes.Thanks for listening.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Homeless With MS

Post by NHE »

Welcome to ThisIsMS Scotty.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Hi and welcome and know that you are among friends.

Tough times never last but tough people do! Not only is this a tremendously true phrase but it is also an excellent book that helped me many years ago when I was going through tough times (not related to MS). The book is written by Robert H. Schuller and is available cheap on Amazon (under $6 for a used leather bound edition with shipping) and may be available at your local library. This book will help you learn how to change your life! I highly recommend it.

Florida has some amazing social programs that can assist you. Since you are 'here', I will assume you have some computer and internet savvy, so get busy and do some research and make some phone calls.
ScottyRushing

Post by ScottyRushing »

Thanks. I will check out that book when I am able. I'm actually in Louisiana. I earned my degree online. There are social programs here, too, and I am pursuing those avenues. Thankfully, I've been able to retain my phone for calls and limited Internet access. Some homeless people are not so fortunate. I think that's one area where we fail as a society. It's very difficult for homeless people to bootstrap themselves up sometimes. Try applying for assistance with no address. Anyway, that's discussion for other places. Thanks for the welcome. It helps to feel connected in some way.

Return to “Introductions”