New to the group

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
mimi007

New to the group

Post by mimi007 »

Hi all, I'm new to a site like this. So please bare with me :-D My name is mimi and I'm from Texas but live in Ga. I, have many questions and don't know if this is the right place to ask or discuss my health issues. So thank you for letting me get started. And thank you in advance..
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: New to the group

Post by jimmylegs »

welcome mimi, we'll bear with ya :) welcome to the forum. what's been bothering you?
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
mimi007

Post by mimi007 »

Hi, Here we go. About 10 yrs ago I, started having double vision all the time w/wo glasses, muscle spasms and cognitive issues and chronic migraines plus tremors. And as the years went on symptoms got worse, Dr started running tests spasms so bad that Baylor said if I didn't get on a muscle relaxer soon they would solidify. So they put me on Baclofen 20mg 3x times a day, years later I'm now up to 4 pills a day. The migraines are chronic everyday the level of pain is different but it's always there. The tremors started out just in my left hand, now it feels like I swallowed a cell phone on constant vibrate. My left side is weak and there is muscle lose as well. I've had emg test that show old nerve damage but they can't tell me why or what from. I've had multiple mri's and at first they just showed the changes due to the migraines, The last one 2 yrs ago showed lesions in the front part of the brain, 4 neurologist can't tell me why I have them or what caused them. On my 5th and she is ordering new test mri with contrast of the brain and orbit area.The eye doctor I've been seeing for the past 3 yrs said the my optic nerve is pale. I, have chronic fatigue and a sleeping disorder ( avg sleep per day 3 to 4hrs ). I, was put on medication for the tremors and it's been increased 2x's not really any better. They tried to do a vep test in the past 2 weeks both times the tremors and spasms interfered and they couldn't do the test. The last blood work I, had showed inflammation but no reason why. I've got osteoporosis and osteoarthritis,and I'm allergic to the meds. I'm depressed but I hide it from my family and cry at night sometimes. I, have rsd in my left foot and leg from an old injury,and problems with L4&5. I've had injections, and the nerves burned in my back 2xs and 6 go around of botox for the migraines, topamax made me a vegetable. I'm hoping the new doctor will have answers, at my wits end don't know what to do anymore. Thank you in advance. Any help would be great.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ugh, a whole bunch of no fun :S

i'm all about making sure patients can rule out possible nutritional contributions to problems experienced, if you're interested in exploring that angle. anyone ever refer you to a dietitian?
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
mimi007

Post by mimi007 »

Yes,I've been found out I'm allergic to dairy. And eat to much fruits,so eating better,healthier. More balanced diet for the past 5 years. Thanks for responding so quickly.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

no worries. question re the dairy allergy. bona fide allergy, or sensitivity or intolerance?

nutrition links of possible interest: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3542500/

very interesting case study: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... 132/1/e229

glad to hear you've been eating better in recent years!
mimi007

Post by mimi007 »

Dairy, allergic. Not sensitive, have to take vitamin d3 50,000 1x a week. The article was very interesting. That poor baby.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok so basically you have elevated serum dairy-specific IgE concentrations?

related (fairly hot off the presses - published earlier this month):

Serum Zinc Status and Its Association with Allergic Sensitization: The Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.
free full text: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5626772/
"... This is the first study to evaluate the association between serum IgE levels and Zn levels in a general adult population of 1,867. Our study demonstrates that study subjects with increased total and allergen-specific IgE levels had significantly lower Zn levels."

so basically, kind of like ze unfortunate bebe. do you have a serum zinc level on file?

have you been told to take anything else along with the d3? do you have a serum magnesium level on file?
mimi007

Post by mimi007 »

That article was very interesting, my husband has dermatitis, so the next flare up I'll get the doc to check his Zn level. My testing was done many years ago,I don't remember what it was.I, will however have it rechecked on next blood work. Thanks for taking the time to try and help.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

no problem. note that the result is most likely to come back 'normal' but you want to know the actual result in order to decide whether levels are optimal or not. deficiencies can occur within the normal reference ranges for several essential nutrients.

i take it that's a no re any advice to take anything else along with the d3? gotta watch magnesium when high dosing d3...
mimi007

Post by mimi007 »

No,they never said anything else with the d3.But will ask at next appt.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

fyi i learned about high dose d3 depleting magnesium from a pharmacist, never heard a peep about the possibility from my doc. every last thing that's ever been done nutritionally on my file has been the result of me asking for it. docs don't get a lot of nutrition training in med school. with any luck yours will have seen this study published earlier this year:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 29192.html
and if not, you can take it with you to make the case for a serum magnesium test. in spite of the stated problem with serum testing, the only real issue with a serum magnesium test is that the normal range includes levels seen in both sick and healthy individuals. sick people's levels are generally low normal. healthy people's are high normal. if your levels are in the 1.0-1.1 mmol/l ballpark you'll be in good shape. that is usually the extreme upper end of the normal reference range (and depending on the lab could even extend above the top end of the range). i've basically never encountered anyone who could report a result that good the first time they have magnesium status tested.
mimi007

Post by mimi007 »

Okay,Thank you I'll take it to him at my next appt. I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to “Introductions”