Fitness in a wheelchair?

Using exercise and physical therapy for recovery from the effects of MS, and for maintaining physical function.
WalkingisOverrated

Fitness in a wheelchair?

Post by WalkingisOverrated »

Hello,

I'm a brand new member here. I don't have MS but I do have T6 complete spinal cord injury that has me paralyzed from the chest down.

I wanted to see whether or not any of you in a wheelchair try to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and if so, how do you manage it?

I've been wheelchair-bound for 5 years now... and my weight is slowly creeping up. I eat the same amount but my calorie expenditure has be drastically reduced. I'm all ears for any good ideas for working out in a wheelchair.

Thank you
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Fitness in a wheelchair?

Post by jimmylegs »

not in a wheelchair myself, but here are some ideas..

stretches (basketball context)..
chair yoga..

cardio.. http://www.livestrong.com/article/18110 ... heir-legs/
eg swimming..
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
cruiserkb
Getting to Know You...

Re: Fitness in a wheelchair?

Post by cruiserkb »

I have been in a wheelchair for about 8 months now. I have lost function from the waist down. I atend physical therapy once a week for the upperbody only. I also workout everyday with thera bands, hand putty and light weights every day. This helps build upperbody strength and help with balence. For cardio I sit on the floor and use an excersise bike with my hands. I know they sell hand excersycles but they are about 10 times as expensive. So if you can get to and from the floor it will save alot of money. I also go swimming 1 day a week. I would not recomend this untill your upperbody is stronger, but it is a good way to work out away from home and the watter keeps the body from overheating to much. I have also modifyed my hospital chair to facilitate long distance rides ( 6 + miles ) until I can purchase a distance racing wheelchair. You can also get involved with disabled sports programs similar to the one that I belong to (AZDS). they have alot of sports and training available from experienced people in that sports. They may also rent equipment for you to use inorder for you to partisipate. There is alot out there you just have to get motivated.