Exercise for those of us with Fatigue?

Using exercise and physical therapy for recovery from the effects of MS, and for maintaining physical function.
billiechic

Exercise for those of us with Fatigue?

Post by billiechic »

I suffered a relapse a year ago that has left me with some significant fatigue. Basically I had to choose between being able to work full time, and being able to work part time and able to continue exercising. Well...ive gained 2 sizes in that year, but am still working :roll:

So, I am looking for some advice from anyone who has experience trying to balance this type of work/fitness schedule who has fatigue. I am simply not able to do anything strenuous for more than 10 minutes, or I have to get straight to bed to recharge.
Prior to this relapse, I was doing a bootcamp 3 times a week and was in the best shape of my life. Now I can barely make it through the day :(

I did just purchase an above-ground pool (4ft deep) so if anyone has any water exercises to recommend, I could try those. Oh, and I dont have any significant mobility issues.

CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Exercise for those of us with Fatigue?

Post by CureOrBust »

I try to exercise as much as possible, not because I did before, but because I think it helps. I use a cross trainer, as it provides me something to hold onto with my hands (and balance), as well as work my legs.

What I have noticed, is that if I drink a can of energy drink (ie caffeine or guarana) 30 min or so before I get on the cross trainer, I can work out for up 50% more time. Now note that I am caffeine sensitive, in that if I drink anything with caffeine in it after about 2pm, I will have a lot of problem falling asleep later that night.
mmpetunia
Family Elder

Post by mmpetunia »

this thread is a bit old but i'm sure that there are other people wondering the same sort of thing. some ideas that might be helpful:

stationary bike
holding the edge of the pool and kicking with your legs
walking in the pool (see how many laps you can do)
squats in the pool
leg lifts in the pool
sit and be fit video (designed to prevent falls in the elderly but most of the exercises are seated and gentle yet still a bit of a challenge)
yoga
pilates
go for a walk (if heat or cold is an issue, there are a lot of malls that open early for individuals to walk inside)
arm bike--standing to increase the challenge
Dx: 9/8/11 RRMS
OMS diet plus lean poultry
Tecfidera as of 8/21/2014
18+ brain lesions and 6 spinal lesions
EDSS 1.5-2
http://mylaceybrain.wordpress.com
brent
Family Member

Post by brent »

Since this is an old topic I'm just going to throw in my 5 cents. This might seem very simple but I think that exercising in the morning when you have the most energy after a good night of sleep is a way to deal with fatigue. Forcing yourself to exercise when you are tired is never a good thing.
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

I got a rowing machine 3 weeks ago and it has been by far the best thing I have ever done for my MS.

Diagnosed in 2003 I was stable on copaxone until 2011. I started noticing deterioration in my balance and began a number of things to slow the progression:

Went on swank diet
Supplements
Nucca chiropractic
Switched to tecfidera

While things had stabilized, I have seen marked improvement in strength and balance since beginning.