Physical or Occupational therapy experiences

Using exercise and physical therapy for recovery from the effects of MS, and for maintaining physical function.
CaliReader
Family Elder

Physical or Occupational therapy experiences

Post by CaliReader »

I asked my neurologist whether anything could be done to help with losing my balance/ almost falling. To my surprise he referred me to a physical therapist.

The referral meant that insurance would cover it. So, I went. And I'm now walking backwards, rocking between heels and toes while holding something stable, side stepping crossing one foot in front of the other while holding something stable.

But the wierdest one was for my hands. I'm supposed to touch both thumbs together, then both index fingers, then both middle fingers, then both ring fingers, then both little fingers, then back again in reverse for many repititions of the exercise. Wierd! Just gently touching my fingers together creates strange sensations inside the back of my head and in various parts of my chest and spine. This is a neurology physical therapist. I hope the exercise is doing good things, but I'm not sure what they would be.

Does anyone have any idea what is or could be going on here? Also, have any of you had useful or interesting physical therapy experiences?
DougL
Family Elder

Re: Physical or Occupational therapy experiences

Post by DougL »

Cerebellar Testing
Rapid Alternating Finger Movement - Have patient alternately touch tips of ea finger against thumb of same hand
this is close to what you are doing.
pushingForward
Family Member

Post by pushingForward »

You may be interested in my comments posted previously on Red Cord physical therapy:

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 22705.html
CaliReader
Family Elder

Post by CaliReader »

Thank you both. Doug, the cerebellar test you mentioned is much easier for me and does not create the wierd sensations. But I've started doing it. I have some cerebellar symptoms including a tremor. I want to work those pathways or forge new ones. The neuroplasticity research that shows repair or rerouting of brain tissue, especially through exercise and movement training is one of the few hopeful avenues I've seen. I'm ecstatic that this is covered by my insurance. I waited more than a year and was very surprised the referral was finally offered.
brent
Family Member

Post by brent »

CaliReader wrote:I'm ecstatic that this is covered by my insurance. I waited more than a year and was very surprised the referral was finally offered.
I really hope that in the future access to rehabilitation for MS will be refunded and widely available. It is very hard o get a physical therapist at least where I live. I'm happy that you are doing well and I deeply believe that rehabilitation is one of the most crucial elements in managing MS.
CaliReader
Family Elder

Post by CaliReader »

Thanks Brent.

I agree. For additional balance and coordination work, the pt suggested that I dance. I'm going to get the video game Dance Dance Revolution, so that I can be ridiculously silly in private.
brent
Family Member

Post by brent »

CaliReader wrote:Thanks Brent.

I agree. For additional balance and coordination work, the pt suggested that I dance. I'm going to get the video game Dance Dance Revolution, so that I can be ridiculously silly in private.
LOL DDR brings back some wanky memories :]