Pushing it just about right (when to stop)

Using exercise and physical therapy for recovery from the effects of MS, and for maintaining physical function.
agapetos

Pushing it just about right (when to stop)

Post by agapetos »

Hi everyone,
I'm new around here (in about a week I should get results if I have MS or it was just an episode of ADEM). I have been a long-distance runner for past 7 years (not a professional one, but still... liked running). Almost two months ago I've had a severe attack of demyalinisation (I was like a plant for three days (quadriparesis), some double vision for a week, urinary problems, etc), and the biggest problem was my legs - I had to learn to walk again (hands were down to maybe just 80%). I have recuperated since then so that now (a month and a half later) I can normally walk and even run (short distance).
I would reaaaaaly like to get back to running. I am aware that I should take it slower, but I do not accept that few of my doctors said "You won't run marathon any more", or "no running of any kind". I am patient and would train as long as I need to, and I know that without raising the intensity of training there isn't going to be advancement, but - how do I know how much to push my self?

Since this is all new to me, I still do not know how much is too much and how much is just about right? I love running, but not more than being able to walk (if my disease worsens).

After I go running, no matter the pace, after the training (so far I've had only three runs no more than a kilometer) I feel tingling in my legs. How do I know if that tingling is just a normal thing (like a muscle sore after the training) or is it going to bring exacerbation? What would be the symptoms, either while running or after the training, which would show that I either went too far and did something to bring the exacerbation, or that it was just a normal training?

agapetos

Re: Pushing it just about right (when to stop)

Post by agapetos »

I was browsing the internet, came to this forum, and this topic peaked my interest - only to find out that I have written that post :D lol ...
I still am battling with the same question... How to know how much of physical fitness is enough?
A short update on my condition. All results point that it was after all just an episode of ADEM, but still - some side effects remained - mostly with my legs. I can walk, i can even run short distance and ride a bike, but what awaits me is in the evening that I am extremely tired even though I rode bike 3 x 10 minutes in a very easy pace.
I do not know what to do - how to rise my physical fitness (not to get tired so easily) and in the same time not to feel so tired in the evening (because of that training).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Pushing it just about right (when to stop)

Post by jimmylegs »

hi there :) glad you found something here that piqued your interest, even if it was your own previous post!

from my perspective, the athletes who arrive at this site, with or without ms, must pay close attention to their altered nutritional requirements in comparison to 'average joe public'.

healthy athletes require more essential nutrition than others who exert themselves less. hence the sale of multivit/mins tailored to active lifestyles.

ms patients are typically short on nutrients that are not necessarily going to normalize readily, using daily maintenance intakes suitable for average healthy joe public. in ms, therapeutic intakes may be suitable.

athletes with ms are facing a double whammy - lower nutrient status typical of ms PLUS higher nutrient demands of physical activity.

i've helped non-ms athletes with other health problems, ms patients, and visitors worries that their symptoms indicate ms. across the board, my suggestions are the same:

track diet. compare daily intake of essential nutrients to recommended amounts for key nutrients, at first for regular joe public. look for existing gaps. upgrade nutrient density in diet as needed. then can review again for nutrients suspect in ms and/or high athletic activity

once you're up to speed for average joe, and ms dx, and activity level, maximize intakes from nutrient dense food sources. supplement if necessary to restore chronically depleted essential nutrients, or to ensure daily intakes meet your needs.

caution re supplements: nutrients do not act in isolation. if taken as single inputs, undesirable effects may occur. example: the SELECT study where isolated alpha tocopherol was used (with selenium) to see if cancer incidence would be reduced. the opposite happened and the study had to be cut short. in the full text, it is clear that taking alpha tocopherol disturbed the natural vitamin e ratios in subjects' blood. gamma tocopherol levels were suppressed, and cancer diagnoses increased. balancing of cofactors is key with many nutrients of concern for ms patients.

that said, supplements can obviously be done. a high quality multivit/min is a decent starting point. from there, any supplements taken at therapeutic levels can be researched for appropriate attention to balance and cofactors.

that's my 2c :) lots of related posts here at TiMS: http://bit.ly/2n5ajmA
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.

Return to “Exercise and Physical Therapy”