Aspiring fitness competitor w/MS looking for ideas

Using exercise and physical therapy for recovery from the effects of MS, and for maintaining physical function.
Nakita68

Aspiring fitness competitor w/MS looking for ideas

Post by Nakita68 »

Hi everyone!
In 2003, prior to my diagnosis(in 1/05), I competed in fitness. Now I have decided that while I am doing ok I want to do one more, just in case I cannot in the future. I am having difficulty with the training. Unlike before, I have to deal with the side effects of the medication (avonex), try to lose body fat w/o raising core temp, space out my workouts, try to follow a diet and coordinate it to comply with the Swank diet which I also follow.

Does anybody have any ideas? I am losing some body fat but not near enough to compete w/those who have no training restrictions. I have found a competition in September that has an "inspiration division", but oh how I want to compete open.

If anybody has any ideas, it would be so wonderful to hear them.

Thanks!! :D
Shayk
Family Elder

Post by Shayk »

Hi Nakita

Welcome--Now, I have no idea what kind of training an aspiring fitness competitor such as yourself might be doing but I think it's wonderful you're pursuing it.

That said, with respect to the Avonex, I've read that some people find the "mix it yourself" results in far fewer side effects than the prefilled syringes. If you're using the prefilled syringes maybe you want to consider switching to the "mix it yourself" version.

With respect to the "core body temperature", if you're in the US, you could check out the MSAA Cooling Program and see if there's some equipment that might help keep your temp down when your exercising. It's free to people with MS.

The fitness center where I exercise has fans (in addition to the AC) and I've found they help me a lot.
Hopefully others will have some ideas. We'll be waiting to hear how you do in the open competition. Wishing you the best with it--

Sharon
fifig

Post by fifig »

I'm a fitness trainer with MS and extremely thermo sensitive, little feeling down my right side and spasticity to boot, so I feel your pain!

Best things I have done:
1. Get a cooling vest - I got the StaCool vest, which has been a total lifesaver. When I'm doing 1hr cardio, I need to have 2 sets of cooling packs to get me through the session AND post workout cool down.

2. Find a facility/trainer that has a Power Plate (preferably Level II certification). If you train properly on this, it is not a fad and highly effective.

Return to “Exercise and Physical Therapy”