autologous stem-cell transplant

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
Quella

autologous stem-cell transplant

Post by Quella »

Hi, I am new to this site. Seems to be full of amazing people full of information and hope and inspiration. I have just completed a autologous non-myeloablative hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation at North Western University Hospital in Chicago. I am looking for anyone else out there who might have gone through the same protocol. The therapy is similar to Revimmune, only there are two phases of chemo. Stem cells are collected and then reinfused when counts are at Zero. It really seems to be a hopeful treatment, as I failed everything else and was progressing very rapidly when I began treatment. I am doing much better, but healing from the transplant is proving to be a difficult journey. If anyone else has gone through this protocol and would like to compare notes, I would love to chat.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quella

Post by Quella »

Hi, The transplant that I has is expermental - the study is in phase III trials. The theory is that the memory cells are eliminated with the first round of chemo. It is after that that meds are given to boost new stem cell production. Stem cells are moblized, collected and stored. then paitents are given another round of high doses of chemo. The goal to reset the immune system - bome marrow; b's and t's. One's own Stem cells are reinfused at this point of the protocol. They say that the "proof" that the memory cells are all gone is that all immune markers are gone. For example, I had chicken pox as a child - that should show up in a simple blood test... but it doesn't anymore. I will have to be reimmunized (if I dare), and I do not even have the same allergies that I had before the transplant. Anyway, we can hope. I couldn't walk 50 feet before , now I don't even keep track - and my balance is back, so is my vision. Let's just hope it stays :)
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indigoinmotion
Family Member

stem cells

Post by indigoinmotion »

how did they administer the stem cells, was it by i.v.? Thanks
Selmahope
Family Elder

Quella

Post by Selmahope »

Curious as to how old you are? wonder if older patients can hold up to the chemo?
sandiselvi

I had an autologus transplant for MS 10 years ago.

Post by sandiselvi »

I had an autologus transplant for MS 10 years ago, before Bush got into office and stopped all progress. I, like one of the other people that have responded to your post, had double chemo and radiation. My immune system was completely rebooted. I too no longer have allergies the way I did as a child. My balance is back, I no longer need a cane to walk, most of my symptoms are gone. I have suffered a little from the radiation, but would do it all over if given the chance. I did have to redo some of the immunization shots, but not all.
I wrote a book titled, Won't Do Stand-Up in a Wheelchair, being published by Wyatt MacKenzie Publishing. It is all about my procedure and what has happened to me since. I would love to get a copy to you when it comes out March 31. In the mean time please check out my website www.sandiselvi.com.
To anyone wondering, I will be 50 in 2 days. Had my transplant on my 40th.
I would love to compare notes.
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Re: I had an autologus transplant for MS 10 years ago.

Post by CuriousRobot »

sandiselvi wrote:I had an autologus transplant for MS 10 years ago, before Bush got into office and stopped all progress. I, like one of the other people that have responded to your post, had double chemo and radiation. My immune system was completely rebooted. I too no longer have allergies the way I did as a child. My balance is back, I no longer need a cane to walk, most of my symptoms are gone. I have suffered a little from the radiation, but would do it all over if given the chance. I did have to redo some of the immunization shots, but not all.
I wrote a book titled, Won't Do Stand-Up in a Wheelchair, being published by Wyatt MacKenzie Publishing. It is all about my procedure and what has happened to me since. I would love to get a copy to you when it comes out March 31. In the mean time please check out my website www.sandiselvi.com.
To anyone wondering, I will be 50 in 2 days. Had my transplant on my 40th.
I would love to compare notes.
Wow, great post. That's incredible. It's as if you are reborn.
Cynde
Getting to Know You...

Re: autologous stem-cell transplant

Post by Cynde »

How are you now? I can't find any recent (2012) posts.