Vitamin D Studies and board members

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
ikulo
Family Elder

Post by ikulo »

Those levels were the result of supplementation and enjoying the sunshine for about 1-2 hours per day. In the last two months I haven't been able to get outside at all, so I decided to up my D3 to compensate. I hope to get tested in about a month or two and hopefully maintain my good numbers. Do you guys think this is a good strategy, or should I lower back down to 5,000?
msdragonslayer

Post by msdragonslayer »

I also was given a Vitamin D test. It was very low so my GP suggested 6000IU per day. Fatigue and some specific pains are less but not eliminated.
Living in Canada where for 6 months of the year I was going to work in the dark, spending all day in the office and then coming home in the dark, it seemed like one of the more logical routes to go. Also, being a redhead, I tend to shy away from a lot of sun exposure even in the summer as I burn and peel if I am not careful.
<a href="http://its-time-to-slay-the-ms-dragons.blogspot.com/" target="_blank"><br /></a><p class="MsoNormal">Per capita, Canada is #1</p><p class="MsoNormal">This is not a place to be a leader though</p><a href="http://its-time-to-slay-the-ms-dragons.blo
Bubba
Family Elder

Post by Bubba »

Dx Feb 08 with rrms. Lived and still do inthe sun, damn near maintaining a sunburn. Florida, shorts, sleeveless top and flip flops year round. Been supplementing D at 2000iu a day for a year. just got tested and my neuro suggested I up my intake to 4000iu a day immidiately.
w/m 44
The problem comes with the decision of weighing the unknown with the unknown.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

remember the zinc bubba!

no matter how much time you spend in the sun, after cholecalciferol is synthesized in the skin, stage two is it heads to the liver for hydroxylation.

zinc is very important for liver function. i don't have the study at my fingertips but i saw one where the researchers observed reversal of alcohol-induced liver damage with zinc treatment.

zinc is involved in hydroxylation in a way i have not quite nailed down yet, but i have seen what happens to D3 dose response when i'm deficient and replete in zinc.

some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc
"Zinc is a good Lewis acid, making it a useful catalytic agent in hydroxylation and other enzymatic reactions..."

http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?recor ... 6&page=446
"Zinc is defined as a Lewis acid, and its action as an electron acceptor contributes to its catalytic activity in many of these enzymes ... The structural role of zinc involves proteins that form domains capable of zinc coordination, which facilitates protein folding to produce biologically active molecules. The vast majority of such proteins form a 'zinc finger-like' structure ... Examples include ... specific factors such as ... vitamin D receptors."
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Abe
Family Member

Re: Vitamin D Studies and board members

Post by Abe »

I've been taking 10,000iu daily (as two 5000iu D3 pills) for several years. A recent blood test put my levels at 185.6 nmol/L
sophie447
Family Member

Post by sophie447 »

Hello to all.

Just found this thread! I think Vit D is worth some attention. I read a few days ago the abstract of one study stating that B-interferon action is through increasing the use of Vit D by the body! That says a lot to me. Also, there are numerous studies linking flares with low vit D.

For me, it all makes very much sense. Especially when I consider the fact that I suffered my first episode of demyelenation pretty much at the same time I gave myself a triple ankle fracture and I found out I have some osteoporosis (at only 45!!). Funny (or maybe not!), two health problems liked to low vit D!

I have been taking 10 000 IU once a week (not prescribedd by neuro, by orthopedic surgeon) for 2 years and recently boosted it to 20 000 IU. Waiting for my last result, but I was @ 109 micromol/l in April. I make sure to take it with my fattest meal of the week to help with absorption. My goal is to attain at least 125 and not go over 150.

Might just be luck or the natural course of my disease, but I have not been bothered with a new flare up for just over 2 years. Hope it stays that way and that I will just have suffered a CIS of demyelenation.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

fyi correcting my zinc deficiency caused my d3 absorption to triple, allowing me to take much lower amounts than i used to.

btw, i suspect you mean 109 nmol/L sophie :)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
sophie447
Family Member

Post by sophie447 »

Thanks Jimmylegs! Of course that was nmol!!

Wish I had zinc results! Might be worth supplementing a bit anyway.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

if you do, try to find zinc gluconate, and ensure any zinc supplement is balanced properly with a little copper. i don't have a brand recommendation right now, still hunting. glad you have not had a flare up in years!!
AntonioBR
Family Elder

Post by AntonioBR »

Markd wrote:Diagnosed 5 years ago with RRMS been a Rebif addict ever since. So far I have been really lucky.... Back when the Vitamin D info was publicized my GP had my Vitamin D levels tested and found them to be very low. I have been eating about 2500mg a day since. My question is how many board members have had their "D" Levels tested and how many are taking Vit D supplements. I am just searching for more clarity regarding Vit D. Thank You in advance for your responses.
Hi Mark,

Have you checked your Thyroid Parathormone (PTH) levels?

Because people with Autoimmune diseases have very high PTH levels. They have a huge resistance with Vitamin D3. PTH is antagonist of Vit. D3. So, it's necessary take huge doses to normalize the PTH. My brother takes 180,000IU per day.

5,000IU is nothing to a MS patient.

If possible check about Dr. Coimbra treatment and the videos that I posted here: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... 27128.html

There is an detailed explanation why people with Autoimmune conditions need much more Vitamins D3.

Jeff Bowles wrote a book about the good effects of high doses of Vitamin D3: http://www.amazon.com/MIRACULOUS-RESULT ... +vitamin+d

WHY IS THERE NO MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS AT THE EQUATOR? HOW BRAZILIAN DOCTORS ARE CURING MS WITH HIGH-DOSE D3: http://www.amazon.com/MULTIPLE-SCLEROSI ... vitamin+d3

Best Regards!