B12 tested - low

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
astro
Family Member

B12 tested - low

Post by astro »

I was diagnosed with MS back in 2001, but was never tested for B12.

Recently, I was prompted to get B12 level checked by several young family members who had recently tested low for B12 (200-300). Their doc (not knowing me) told their mom (my sister) that they should get on supplements since it could lead to future health issues (including possibly MS). When they told him that I had MS, he suggested I get tested, too.

Test results are back, and I also have low levels (340) according to my doc.

What are the best ways to increase levels? I eat plenty of B12 rich foods, so does this mean I am not absorbing it properly? If so, should I try sublingual or injections?

Thanks for any advice.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey there, what units is that 340 in? it makes a difference.

what kinds of b12-rich foods do you eat? and how is your potassium intake generally?

to your supplement question it seems that by and large sublingual strips are as good as injections (maybe not in 100% of cases though).

methylcobalamin is a good form to choose for sublingual strips.

hope that helps somewhat anyway, until you post again at least :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
astro
Family Member

Post by astro »

Thanks for the reply.

My level was 340 pg/ml, although it was by blood sample and I'm told they are less accurate than urine MMA (which I plan to get).

The lab report from my doc said they want higher than 500 pg/ml, and advised on a 1000mg daily supplement.

I'm not so hopeful that I think my MS is just a misdiagnosed B-12 deficiency, but given the family history and "lowish" level, do you think methylcobalamin will even make a difference?

Thanks!

PS: My diet includes chicken, some beef and fish, and a lot of dairy.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi astro, here's a tidbit at least!
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-95459.html
there's a study from japan in the late 80's talking about dementia and it refers to 'normal limits' as 500-1300 pg/ml. that works out to 370 pmol/l being the bottom of the normal range.
also here's an article i've found easier to locate in the past compared to now.. no abstract in pubmed but luckily someone copied it here:
http://alzheimers2ndopinion.net/b12limits.htm

HTH!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.

Return to “Regimens”