Recent Diagnosis of CIS - going down hookworm route with AIT

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

oops i missed the ginkgo and resveratrol.

i can't really comment on resveratrol, but i have had only good experiences with ginkgo in the past but i don't feel like i need it as much these days. i used to think of the increased blood flow from things like niacin and gingko would deliver more nutrients to deficient areas. back in the day i really felt a difference in cognition through using gingko, but i'm not as confused these days and have not stocked up. i'm not sure which of the nutritional improvements i made helped the cognition most, probably a little bit of all of them. the most noticeable one was the zinc. i was having trouble driving and that was when i finally figured out my zinc issues. all better! as a person who is typically dehydrated, i think water is an obviously foundational ingredient in optimizing blood flow.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Thanks Jimmylegs. Response most appreciated.

The inosine is dirt cheap - it works out at about $9 a month for 1gram a day. I figure it acts as a safety net stopping my uric acid levels dropping too low if my diet is off cue. Also there is clinical evidence to support its use and at $9 a month I am not sacrificing anything else.

Im taking D3. 500iu with the multivit and then 2-3 1000iu tabs throughout the day. I live in Saudi Arabia so also try to take advantage of the sunshine in moderate amounts.

As for selenium, mg and zn they are also in the multivit so I get about 400mg of mg and 30mg of zinc per day.

Regards

MB
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

great, how much selenium is in there? i take a multivit and multimin too but i consider it useful for trace stuff and consider the rest of my regimen the 'real' multi :) also the vit e in my multi is the wrong form so i definitely boost with e8 complex to try to correct.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Update - 1 month

From the 3 week mark I have had on and off feelings of nausea. I spoke to MArc Dellerba at AT and he said this symptom is quite common and will pass.

Symptoms fairly subdued and limited to itchy skin, Phosgenes when I close my left eye, and a little heaviness in my ledt eye. On off fatigue but may be unrelated.
MSBOB
Family Elder

Post by MSBOB »

This is my attack plan:

Rebif - hope to stimulate remyelination, detour Tcell response and migration to CNS

Vit B Complex - nerve health and energy

Vit D - Immune regulation

MultiVitamin + Mineral - general stock of micronutrition

Lipoic Acid - antioxidant, depress MMP, interfere with Tcell migration to CNS, passes through Blood Brain Barrier

NAC - same hopes as Lipoic acid, but accumulates in the brain, precurser of glutathione (just started)

Fish Oil - omega 3's, improve integrity of Blood Brain Barrier, promote good prostaglandins, building blocks of good brain fat and good hormones

Green Tea Supplement - diversify my antioxidants, support brain health

Vit E - protect fats from lipoperoxidation

Nuvigil - I love it helps clear the head fog and fatigue

Low saturated fat diet - Sold on Swank, good enough evidence for me, makes logical sense from a endothelial cell building strategy and reduction of precursors of bad prostaglandins responsible for inflammation. Improve integrity of Blood Brain Barrier. Takes a long long time to get results to rebuild cells with right ingredients, probably 2 years is a decent benchmark to use before dismissing the diet; Same reason why clinical trials have been neutral, because they don't do longitudinal studies very efficiently and no way to really blind.

Lots of fruit and veggies and lean high quality protein - Not going vegan or vegetarian. Lipoproteins need protein, muscles need it, and it is too difficult to try to guess if I am getting a proper balance of amino acids to be healthy, when a chicken breast is cheap, lean, and complete.

That's about it for me. Hookworms! That is interesting. I get the logic. I think I probably get a good supply from going out to eat and walking barefoot in the backyard in the summer. I am interested in the results. Thanks for posting.
MSBOB
Family Elder

Post by MSBOB »

Jimmylegs

Thanks for all of the information you put out there, consistently. I will need to evaluate the Vit E I take.

Interesting about selenium as well.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

MSBOB wrote:This is my attack plan:

Rebif - hope to stimulate remyelination, detour Tcell response and migration to CNS

Vit B Complex - nerve health and energy

Vit D - Immune regulation

MultiVitamin + Mineral - general stock of micronutrition

Lipoic Acid - antioxidant, depress MMP, interfere with Tcell migration to CNS, passes through Blood Brain Barrier

NAC - same hopes as Lipoic acid, but accumulates in the brain, precurser of glutathione (just started)

Fish Oil - omega 3's, improve integrity of Blood Brain Barrier, promote good prostaglandins, building blocks of good brain fat and good hormones

Green Tea Supplement - diversify my antioxidants, support brain health

Vit E - protect fats from lipoperoxidation

Nuvigil - I love it helps clear the head fog and fatigue

Low saturated fat diet - Sold on Swank, good enough evidence for me, makes logical sense from a endothelial cell building strategy and reduction of precursors of bad prostaglandins responsible for inflammation. Improve integrity of Blood Brain Barrier. Takes a long long time to get results to rebuild cells with right ingredients, probably 2 years is a decent benchmark to use before dismissing the diet; Same reason why clinical trials have been neutral, because they don't do longitudinal studies very efficiently and no way to really blind.

Lots of fruit and veggies and lean high quality protein - Not going vegan or vegetarian. Lipoproteins need protein, muscles need it, and it is too difficult to try to guess if I am getting a proper balance of amino acids to be healthy, when a chicken breast is cheap, lean, and complete.

That's about it for me. Hookworms! That is interesting. I get the logic. I think I probably get a good supply from going out to eat and walking barefoot in the backyard in the summer. I am interested in the results. Thanks for posting.

Unless someone with hookworms regularly takes a dump your back yard and you walk around in it 7-30 days later you won't be catching hookworms.

As for going out to eat - you won't catch hookworm that way.
MSBOB
Family Elder

Post by MSBOB »

If anyone is doing this therapy and is willing to take a dump in my backyard, please let me know.

Thanks
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

MSBOB wrote:If anyone is doing this therapy and is willing to take a dump in my backyard, please let me know.

Thanks

I don't do home visits but for $100 P&P inc I can send you a tuppleware box of product with instructions :twisted:
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Day 69

Generally pretty good. Feel well. Only symptoms are tingling / itching towards end of day especially if I get hot.

Optic neuritis residual symptoms much less
Fatigue almost gone
Cognitive abilities up high.

At week 3-5 I did have some mild nausea sensations. They have now subsided.

I am cautious but so far signs are moderately positive.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Lyon wrote:First...awesome to hear and thanks for sharing.
Second...I don't think I have to but will mention that what you've mentioned isn't out of the ordinary at all and is to be expected although it is interesting and helpful no matter how many times it's uttered.

Thanks for sharing and please keep it up.
No worries.

My current diagnosis is CIS.

My aims are;

To prevent a concersion to clinical diagnosis of MS
To slow / stop any progression of disability

If I am successful then whether it was the worms, the supplements or copious quantities of cabbage and fish I eat is open to an academic debate. It is immaterial to me.
Apuman
Family Elder

Post by Apuman »

mrbarlow wrote:If I am successful then whether it was the worms, the supplements or copious quantities of cabbage and fish I eat is open to an academic debate. It is immaterial to me.
Which is EXACTLY how I feel! As long as I'm still able to keep living my life, I'm not going to stress too much over 'why' 8)
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Apuman wrote:
mrbarlow wrote:If I am successful then whether it was the worms, the supplements or copious quantities of cabbage and fish I eat is open to an academic debate. It is immaterial to me.
Which is EXACTLY how I feel! As long as I'm still able to keep living my life, I'm not going to stress too much over 'why' 8)

5 months into a developing supplement / diet regimen and 2.5 months on the worms I still have some mild MS symptoms which are mainly twitching nerves when I get hot, tired or stressed. However overall I feel better than I have for a couple of years> I am far less creaky which I assume is a benefit of fish oils, less inflammation & Vit D
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

4 month update

Not much to report the plateau continues with good days and bad days. Bad days consist of some flickering in my eye, itchy skin and on / off fatigue.

Day time temperatures here are now 40-45 degrees although thankfully humidity is usually low. Have to take this into account as well.