Regimens for Neuroprotection

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

MSBOB wrote:I take so many pills now, it would be interesting what a top 5 list would look like.
I like your top-5 list, I also don't like the idea of popping so many supplements, I can imagine my kidneys and liver crying "give us a break".

I haven't yet come up with a top-5 list, but alpha-lipoic acid would definitely be on it, at a dosage of 900-1200mg/day.

There is talk earlier in this topic about the benefit of using exclusively the R entianomer, I'm following the recommendation of the Linus Pauling institute (and the doctor I seek functional medical advice from) of taking a racemic blend (equal amounts of R and S forms).

This is the standard form you can buy over-the-counter.

Linus Pauling Institute Alpha Lipoic Acid Recommendation

--Tracy
CCSVI Procedure 9/16/2009 at Stanford
Stent in left and right IJVs
SPMS
Copaxone
Former Ampyra User
Regular Botox Bladder Injections
300mg d-Biotin / day
MSBOB
Family Elder

Post by MSBOB »

Thanks for the info. I came back to this post because I would like to lighten up the pill load. I think you are right about 1,200mg of alpha lipoic acid. I just take so many other antioxidants that I feel I am overdoing it.

I would love if I could get ALA in an IV instead of steroids. My mom has MS and cannot take steroids anymore, because it has "messed up her veins" That's what she said. I heard that ALA is telerated very well in an IV. I think it might be too cheap to justify a study on it for that purpose. Although, I have a hunch it would be of benefit.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bob, please don't take 5000 IU d3 daily, without balancing calcium, magnesium and zinc! i don't know if i've heard of a heroic enough multi to match 5000 IU/d. you could end up with symptoms related to magnesium depletion for example. this is exactly what happened to me just because i took my daily magnesium at the same time as my high d3 dose.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
MSBOB
Family Elder

Post by MSBOB »

I wish I had a heroic multiV, but it is a centrum silver. I thought I would go small since I hear so much about "too much this not enough that" I would take a wimpy multi and get the rest elsewhere.

CalMagZn supplement would totally destroy my top FIVE. I wouldn't give up the vitamin D, because it looks like it is the most important. I swear my sweetheart is going to flip if another bottle of crazy thisorthat arrives in the mail!

Funny thing is a get this obsession with supplements from my dad who just about killed himself with over supplementing. His body got way out of wack and he truly went crazy from an imbalance, got hospitalized after my brother restrained him at the park until police arrived, and almost died from ... (I think it was an electrolyte thing). He slowed it down. So, my mom gave me MS, and my dad gave my a weird obsession. I love them! :)

Old man was an animal nutritionist for livestock, before becoming a veterinarian. He knows a lot about this stuff, but you Jimmy! You have a level head. Not too many people I like to take advise from, but I will do as you say and go with a top SIX.

Six, numerologically speaking, isn't going to cut it. Seven or eight is better mmm... skullcap, lions mane, ginko, ginsing, gotokola, curcumin, tumeric, NAC, inositol, inosine, green tea, q10, bromolain, enzymes, selenium, resveratol, acidophilus, shitake, aspirin, quercitin, luteolin, CLA, cordycepts, holy basil... I got a witches brew to pick from! (I am sure I missed a few) they are all so special to me. I think I will go with the aspirin. :)

New list, new list:

1g N-A-G
1,200mg Alpha lipoic acid
5,000 iu Vitamin D
(Not sure how much CalMagZn to balance the Vit D)
1 MulitV and mineral
1 B100 tab
2 Aspirin

Yes/no?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

crazy story! yes i well know the perils of taking too much of one thing and not enough of the other. didn't get hauled in, but almost lost my driver's license :S

if it helps, i bet you could dump the b100 if you get a better multi once the centrum silvers are gone.

i like progressive multis, and they do have a mens 50+ product. not sure if you can get them where you are.

i am stuck with a top 9 and sometimes 10... it's true i am not likely on any given day to get all of these in, but it's the goal :)

progressive women's multi (2/d)
vitamin b100 complex (1, every other day)
vitamin C (2/d)
vitamin D3 (drops, 10,000IU/wk)
vitamin E8 complex (1/d)
magnesium (1/d)
selenium (1/d)
zinc (1/d)
extra strength fish oil (2/d)

sometimes i take iron too, but i have a history of poor iron status.

calcium is missing at the moment, except for whatever's in the multi, but i do eat dairy and lots of calcium-rich foods such as dark leafy greens, like kale.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
fee001
Family Elder

Candidiasis can cause headaches/migraines

Post by fee001 »

Hi!

Acidophilus is so important. Antibiotics distroy the good bacteria of the stomach, the suppliment acidophilus replaces them.

google.... candida leaky gut....its a fungus which causes parasites, you kill it off by diet and suppliments. I discovered I had this back in March, it is quite remarkable the affect it has.

Fiona
I do my own research, and find my own answers Its good to talk
MSBOB
Family Elder

Post by MSBOB »

I read a case study on rats using Q10. The scientists fed one group Q10 and the other group was a control. Ten they induced brain trauma to the rats. The group fed Q10 recovered quicker from the NO2 and oxygen-dismutase levels that tend to cause a lot of damage following brain damage.

Q10 has a little more evidence for nuero-protection, at least in rats. I wonder how that translates to humans.
Quest56
Family Elder

Re: Regimen for Neuroprotection

Post by Quest56 »

LR1234 wrote:...tried NAG and it seemed to increase my symptoms....Fish oils and flaxseed oils don't agree with me...
Thanks for adding your regimen, LR1234. It's very interesting to see what others are taking.

About your comment regarding fish oils not agreeing with you, I've found that I'm very sensitive to EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid). EPA supplements tend to worsen "cognitive fog" in my case. I don't have this problem with DHA, and so take a 500mg DHA supplement three times daily (with very low EPA content).

We're all so different...

--Tracy
CCSVI Procedure 9/16/2009 at Stanford
Stent in left and right IJVs
SPMS
Copaxone
Former Ampyra User
Regular Botox Bladder Injections
300mg d-Biotin / day
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

Hi everyone,
What are your thoughts on this regimen, I hope you can help .
My eye Dr. recommended I take :
Vitamin C 1500 mg. and Vitamin B-5 (Pantothenic acid) 1000 mg. Together once daily.
I'm concerned about the affect it might have on my immune system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you. God bless!!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

go for it. refresh my memory though - are you taking anything else?
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

jimmylegs, are you replying to my (vit.c and b5) question? if so I'm taking: a multi no iron, B complex ,calcium citrate with D3, magnesium, d3, Thank you if it was inteded for me, I was just afraid my immune system would be too stimulated.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yes and i think you'd be fine - don't necessarily believe scare tactics about immune boosters...

for example d3 is an immune booster.

it improves your body's ability to formulate a 'stop attacking' signal, so in effect it boosts your immune system's brakes.
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

thanks jimmylegs, you put my mind at ease!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yvw!

Return to “Regimens”