My "regimen"

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
Fayruz
Family Member

Re: My "regimen"

Post by Fayruz »

My neuro said exactly the same, the drugs lessens the frequency of relapses - for example if you would have 3 relapses without drugs, with drugs you would have only 2. But my question here is, how is this measured if this disease is unpredictable - some patients have relapses every few years, some every year etc. I am sure this question should be answered in studies somewhere.

@amberfer I agree, everybody should decide for themselves and find what "works" for them. I think the goal here is to try and prevent relapses and in my opinion if the body has everything it needs there is a lesser possibility of a break-out so that's what I am trying to achieve. And I am not afraid of modern medicine it's just that (as also my doctor says) the science of medicine is much less exact as we would wish for it to be.

@jimmy I take magnesium in different kind of forms, now I have pills with magnesium oxide and magnesium carbonate. There is also one more thing that I've discovered (it may not be a surprise for you really) but if I take the pill with some freshly squeezed orange juice I think the absorption is much higher as I have taken exactly the same amount as always but had a bit of a side effect of high dose magnesium (I am sure you know what I mean so I will not go in details :D)

As far as relationships go, I think the whole thing is a bit more complicated...and diagnosis just adds another twist to whole plot. ;)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi again,

re drugs, I saw one study where interferon increased serum vit E levels. interestingly, vit E is a huge component of the klenner protocol for ms.
doesn't really address the measurement question, just thought I'd toss it into the mix though :)

interesting re the forms of mag you have on hand. I haven't seen mag carbonate before. but I can tell you for sure that mag oxide is a GREAT one for SIDE EFFECTS you poor thing.

sadly, the effects indicate poor absorption. if you can find magnesium glycinate you should notice fewer issues when taking higher doses. magnesium bisglycinate works too but is too powerful for me. in between mag oxide and mag glycinate is mag citrate. better absorbed than oxide, but can still get you into trouble if you take lots in one day.

hope you're feeling well by and large!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Fayruz
Family Member

Post by Fayruz »

Regarding magnesium - I also tried magnesium citrate and I think it worked well. I am also trying different forms of mg, at work I have pills that you dissolve in your mouth, at home I have the ones you just swallow. I also had magnesium in form of granules that you put directly on your tongue, it is packaged in little foil bag so it's practical to have in purse.
I thought the side effects are signs of "overdose"/high level dose not bad absorption?

Have you noticed season related "troubles"? I noticed a few symptoms (but these things are so little that I don't think everybody would even notice it) in November and December (the shortest day, no sun, more stress at work) and also I first got sick in November. But as soon we are in second half of January things get better and now that we are so close to spring I have much more energy. I used to be "seasonal" prior to my diagnosis too but now I'm probably paying more attention to it.

So yes, I am doing well..and I am very excited because this year I will have my own garden for the first time so now I'm starting seedlings and to my friends I probably sound like and over-excited mother (looook it has grown overnight...and now there are ten of them, yesterday there was only seven of them!!) but they have patience with me. ;)

Hope you are also doing well!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

glad you are doing well and excited for spring! we're still deep in the snow here so for now, all we can do is sprout seeds in the window sill :)

magnesium overdose side effects can be alinked to poor absorption. counterintuitive, yes, but still the case. it depends on the form. you take too much of an insoluble form, like mag oxide, and it blasts right through you with no chance to be absorbed. that's why the dietary piece has to be the foundation for daily intake, and the supplemental piece needs to be a good quality soluble organic form.

no seasonal troubles I don't think, except I feel naughty for not taking as much vit D3 as I probably should be. have to start being more disciplined with that. especially since I've been relegated to the indoors more during the last year, than I can remember ever having been in prior decades!

take care and enjoy the garden! :D
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Fayruz
Family Member

Post by Fayruz »

So, the gardening season is almost over and I thought it is time to check-in. ;) We had a pretty crappy summer, so some plants in my garden were not really a success but I still had a lot of fun with it. ;)
I am still doing ok and am happy for it. :) I have a check-up MR in December so we will see how that goes. Hope everybody is doing well. :)
Fayruz
Family Member

Post by Fayruz »

It's been a while since I've checked in here. :) I had another MR and the results (as I am more than happy to say) are ok (no new lesions, no active ones). Yaaaay :) I also had a consult about my polycistic ovaries and have now confirmed PCOS. During this tests they also did a thorough blood work - including magnesium, zinc and D vitamin. I was quite below the charts with D vitamin so I am taking now the prescribed one. Interesting is that the doctors find that D vitamin helps also with PCOS and are prescribing it.
Otherwise I am doing well and hope that everybody is well too. :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi fayruz, nice to hear from you again! great news about your mri as well, and that you are making progress with the PCOS as well.

curious if you can share the results on mag, zinc, d vits, (since magnesium and zinc can be deficient within normal range) and also whether your prescribed d3 is balanced with any other co-factors?

Return to “Regimens”