What do you do when you have a flare up?

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
surfbird
Family Member

What do you do when you have a flare up?

Post by surfbird »

I am lucky enough that I have not had any flare-ups since those involved with my initial diagnosis. During the first several months, anytime I noticed something weird, like tingling or numbness, or something off with my vision, I would mention to my doctor and ask if it was a flare up.

His response was that there wasn't a real way to be sure...he said he had weird tingling in his leg sometimes but he didn't have MS. He said even if it was a neurological event, but it wasn't interfering with my normal function, they wouldn't do anything for me anyway (i.e. no steroids like I had the first time) so, it didn't really matter if it was a flare up or not. My regular MRIs will tell us how the MS is progressing in my body.

Three years later and I am feeling something strange in my neck that is reminiscent of my onset symptoms. Hopefully I just slept weird on it. But it raised the question for me...what do other people with MS do when they have symptoms that don't really affect their ability to go about out the day normally? The doctor who said that to me is no longer my doctor anymore, and I have yet to find a neuro in my new town that I really like.

I would love to hear anyone's experiences. Thanks.
Taurus
Family Elder

Re: What do you do when you have a flare up?

Post by Taurus »

I take few grams of turmeric with a pinch of black pepper.
Regards
surfbird
Family Member

Post by surfbird »

Mixed in water?
Taurus
Family Elder

Post by Taurus »

Mix it in water or any juice (for better taste). Turmeric is highly anti-inflammatory and in flares we have inflammation. Almost no side effects and the response is good.
Take care
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

I'm in a similar position in that after one bout of acute optic neuritis I have never had another acute attack. What I have had since are low level symptoms as follows:

Slight blurring of left eye vision and eye dryness
Frequently blocked left sinuses
Tingling in feet and to a lesser extent hands
Occasional mild cramping of left thigh
Slight loss of sensation in left leg
Mild Cognitive fog
Mild Fatigue.

When I do get the feeling of a flare up first thing I try and do is rest and get cool. I increase my intake of Inosine from 500mg EOD to 1000mg ED. I increase Vit D from 10,000 IU to 12,000IU. Fish oil up from 6g to 9g. I have some prednisone which I use sparingly but if I feel I have a flare up take 10mg a day to dampen the immune system.

Return to “Regimens”