My Regimen (ridiculous?)

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
Kronk
Family Elder

Re: My Regimen (ridiculous?)

Post by Kronk »

Psorex is not approved by the FDA for the treatment of any disease, and many consider it and other fumeric acids serious drugs requiring professional medical oversight during treatment. That being said the most common issues are gastrointestinal (nausea, stomach aches, diarrhea) and flushing. Very rare issues can include kidney issues and low levels of white blood cells, both reversible when supplementation is stopped.

I originally started taking psorex because a lot of literature suggests the krebs cycle is broken in people with autoimmune diseases. But this kind of thought dropped out of favour in the past 20 years. Instead the research is focused on the inflammatory response.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8814 ... t=Abstract

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/Immunology ... 3%2006.pdf

The mono fumerates appeared to induce high levels of IL-4 and IL-5 secretion while IFN-gamma production was unaffected. Basically it boosts the anti-inflammitory cytokines without activating the immune system. Which is pretty amazing...

Regarding NAG, looks good. But tough to say how it affects the human body and MS as mice and EAE are a terrible substitute. if you can find a cheap and quality source its worth a shot in my opinion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21965673
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

Im taking zinc too jimmy. Thanks.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i'll be interested to see the results of your follow up tests. i remembered that you are working on fixing that low zinc rsult. i thought the info could potentially be of interest to others who may read this topic :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

ditto jimmy! im interested too. will let you know.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

So I learned as much as I possibly could about MS and what to do..... and we have VERY similar regimens.

Makes me feel better and safer in what I am doing are the proper things to see someone else doing it too.
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

Im still surprised why more MSers arent taking Psorex. I get the flush a third of the time... o real gastro/intestinal issues.

Oh and btw...my vitamin D level jumped when i upped my dose from 15.000IUs per day to 30.000IUs (as well as adding zinc and mag again)...it jumped from 89ng...to a whoping 183ng!
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Don't touch NAG. I have recently and managed to end up with the MS hug from hell and I blame that stuff. When I feel well enough I will write what I think happens. Every cloud has a silver lining I suppose as now I know what it is does.

It is the building block of peptidoglycan. (The cell wall in gram positive bacteria) That triggers the T helper cells which recruit CD4 which is the bad guy in the autoimmune model. Everything else I have written about is down a different pathway. Fortunately I have no fatigue but the hug is very tiring and I feel for people who get hit without understanding what is happening to them. I am forced to take a short dose of prednisolone and I am taking a long course of an antibiotic that attacks gram positive bacteria (pick your own). When I'm up to it I will detail it properly. My normal regime doesn't get implicated. This is brought on by a different pathway and I'm sure I triggered it.

Regards
Kronk
Family Elder

Post by Kronk »

zjac020 wrote:Im still surprised why more MSers arent taking Psorex. I get the flush a third of the time... o real gastro/intestinal issues.
Well technically Psorex is a monoethyl where Tecfidera is a Dimethyl. I am not a chemist and cannot comment on the carbon atom arrangements and what that may mean for the efficacy of the different compounds. However, since they don't really know what makes Tec work, who is to say another fumarate ester won't? I like the theory that states that Tec corrects a deficiency in the Krebs cycle. Much like vitamin D, fumaric acid is formed by the body, in the skin, during exposure to sunlight. Supplementing it may be as important as Vit D.

However it does have its risks. It lowers white blood cell counts but apparently it is reversible when the med is discontinued. I had a blood test and my white blood cell counts were at the low end of the range but still healthy. It has essentially the exact same side effect profile of Tec in fact. Flushing gastro intestinal etc. Cant help but think the fact it causes the same effects in the body may mean it has the same efficacy? Its a leap but Psorex is cheap.
Scott1 wrote: Don't touch NAG. I have recently and managed to end up with the MS hug from hell and I blame that stuff.
Scott, sorry to hear about your experience but thank you for sharing. I did a couple weeks of an aromatase inhibitor called Acacetin99 and ended up with a numb shin for 2 months. Cant help but think it was related... wont know for sure but it was enough to make me toss it in the garbage. One of the things that made me question my decision was the fact it blocked estradiol which was good, but also blocked the creation of estriol which could be very bad, especially with the recent studies showing very positive effects in women with MS. My goal was to increase testosterone, but blocking estriol was definitely not the best way to do it.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

I've had a go at explaining what I did - http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... ml#p228642

Regards
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Kronk, do you have an introduction thread? Or anything like that? I would love to hear your whole story.

Return to “Regimens”