Dr Rosedale diet

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
am65
Getting to Know You...

Dr Rosedale diet

Post by am65 »

Hello, I recently read this interview

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2011/09/ ... -and-diet/

and found it very appealing. I have been following the Paleo diet for the last one and a half years and I find helpful to know some possible scientific fundamentals behind it (apart from the story of the inability to adapt of the human body to the big changes in diet in the last 10.000 years). The Rosedale diet seems to be much more restricted than the Paleo diet regarding the carbohydrates.

I know there is a controversy about if it is possible for nerve cells to feed only on fat instead of glucose. Is anybody following an ultra-low carbohydrate high fat diet?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Dr Rosedale diet

Post by ElliotB »

I am a firm believer in the importance of diet. But, frankly IMHO, this diet does not go far enough for someone with MS. There are recommendations of foods there that many believe those with MS should probably not eat or at least severely limit. Here is an outline of his diet for anyone interested in reading more about it:

http://drrosedale.com/resources/pdf/Ron ... h-Plan.pdf

Also, with regards to the link you provide, I found several inconsistencies, especially with regard to his description of DMDs, specifically the section on Copaxone.

"The Rosedale diet seems to be much more restricted than the Paleo diet regarding the carbohydrates"

One thing I have noticed repeatedly is that the Paleo diet has many forms depending on who you ask. In general, the Paleo diet is defined as "a diet based on the types of foods presumed to have been eaten by early humans, consisting chiefly of meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit, and excluding dairy or grain products and processed food."

Early humans were likely hunters/gatherers and for the most part did not have access to foods that are common today that are high in carbs and simply would not have eaten them. Also, today's fruits are high in sugar and probably were not that way years ago. The diet of our ansestors would have been very, very simple and limited. Yet, some Paleo diets include many 'exceptions' that are true Paleo.
Last edited by ElliotB on Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
am65
Getting to Know You...

Re: Dr Rosedale diet

Post by am65 »

You are right, there are different versions of Paleo diets that allow for foods that are not strictly paleo like yams and fruit.

What I find very interesting in the interview is the reasoning about carbohydrates intake, higher levels of leptin and insulin afterwards and a metabolic distortion that could be factor behind MS and MS relapses. I don't have science studies, so I'm not able to differentiate if this story about carbohydrates and leptin&insuline levels make sense. If so, it gives a scientific basis to the paleo, ketogenic and lowcarb/highfat diets. Well, these are my layman reflections.

Thanks for the link to the Rosedale diet PDF. I hadn't seen it.