Baclofen for spasticity

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
Lainie
Family Member

Baclofen for spasticity

Post by Lainie »

I just started this a couple of days ago. For those who don't know, it is a muscle relaxant prescribed for MS or people with spinal injuries. I am amazed at the benefits I am getting. I didn't realize how stiff my legs were and how much it has been contributing to my difficulty walking until I got on this relaxant. It has definitely changed my ability to get around for the better!

So, my regimen is Tysabri and Baclofen. I really love the baclofen and can't imagine doing without it now.
gwa
Family Elder

Post by gwa »

Glad it works for you. I tried it once and could barely move due to the relaxation in my muscles.

gwa
Toyoterry
Family Elder

Post by Toyoterry »

I take 90mgs a day and still have some stiffness but it does help.
Terry
missvicki
Family Member

Post by missvicki »

Does it make you tired? When do you take it? Twice a day? I too have been recently prescribed this medication but I work 4 hours a day and don't want it to make me tired. Thanks!
Toyoterry
Family Elder

Post by Toyoterry »

I've been on it for three years and it still makes me tired, just not as much as at first. Thank goodness for caffiene.
Terry
Lainie
Family Member

Post by Lainie »

missvicki wrote:Does it make you tired? When do you take it? Twice a day? I too have been recently prescribed this medication but I work 4 hours a day and don't want it to make me tired. Thanks!
The doctor aknowledged that it would make me incredibly drowsy (which it does) so as a solution he has me take it before bed only. (I take it once a day only.) It helps me sleep, and although it does take a while to shake off the effects in the morning, I am able to function during the day.
laura55
Getting to Know You...

Post by laura55 »

Hiya, I started baclofen a week ago. I'm still on a really low dose so perhaps thats why I haven't seen the effects you have yet. I started on hALF a tablet 3 x a day, I've gradually gone up to 1 tablet 3 x a day. The first time I took it I pretty much fell asleep straight away at 2 in the afternoon lol :) hoping I get the benefits you are soon. Take care, Laura x
Andy
Family Member

Post by Andy »

I have been on LDN now for almost 4 years and have just been prescribed Baclofen..........is there anybody out there taking this combination and if so when do you take them? I take the LDN at bedtime, is it OK to take them both at bedtime?
Thanks Andy :)
wiggy
Family Elder

Post by wiggy »

Andy,
I am also on this combination LDN and Baclofen - I just started baclofen and I take a dose an hour before I take my LDN and so far - 3 weeks - no problem. I am not aware of any problem taking them at the same time - good question.
Andy
Family Member

Baclofen.....

Post by Andy »

Hi Wiggy, I've tried twice now to take Baclofen at bedtime with my 3mg of LDN but after 1 day I have to stop as my legs refuse to take my weight without stumbling..........what to do?
Will try again sometime but I havent alot of hope....... :x
wiggy
Family Elder

Post by wiggy »

Hi Andy,
Can you try your baclofen 2 hours prior to bedtime or does it make you too tired? How much baclofen are you taking? Than take LDN right before you go to sleep? My legs are always tight in the am but they do not collaspe.
Andy
Family Member

Post by Andy »

Hi Wiggy, sorry for not replying sooner but thats a good sugestion, I will try it.
Andy :)
Cleremond2000
Family Member

Post by Cleremond2000 »

Had been on Zanaflex, but it knocked me out during the day and I couldn't work while taking it. I would take it at night, but it would make me have REALLY weird dreams and disrupt my sleep. So I asked for a different muscle relaxer to be prescribed so doc wrote the Rx for Baclofen.

I have only been taking it at night for the time being and it really helps me sleep. I haven't gotten brave enough to take it during the day yet, so I don't know how well it will help me with my leg spasticity, but I have an "at home" day on Wednesday so I might give it a go and see how it affects me during the day.
dlclaytor

Intrathecal Baclofen Pump

Post by dlclaytor »

When stiffness and spasicity caught up with me, my neuro trialed me on the oral relaxants (which made my life miserable) and finally recommended an intrathecal baclofen pump, which was surgically implanted 5 years ago. Improved my life dramatically and may well have stabilized my MS. Google "ITB Therapy" for more info.
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

I used to take 80-100mg of it a day until I had the HiCy treatment. Now I am at 30mg if I need it. I also take 4-AP when I need it...usually when I am doing a lot of physical work.

All you newbie's take a suggestion from a guy who wishes to hell someone was out there like me 5 years ago...go to one of the places doing HiCy or the CCVI treatment. Don't wait to get rid of MS until it is too late.

PS...I have been told by numerous doctors a Baclofen pump is the LAST thing they want to use because once it's in most people experience a level of disability from the pump itself even though it is helping with spasticity.