Bowel Health - Cause and Effect

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Re: Bowel Health - Cause and Effect

Post by PointsNorth »

JL,

Mg 500+ mg/day
zinc 50mg/day increasing now to 100/day

Thanks Much, PN
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi again, sorry to be a pest but can you clarify on the *form* of magnesium and zinc? eg magnesium oxide, zinc citrate, etc, whichever they happen to be? thanks :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi again i figured out that your magnesium is dimagnesium malate, whereas i use magnesium glycinate. i'm not sure how you get better energy from the malate form without good absorption, but nonetheless i did find this comparison:

"Both magnesium glycinate and magnesium malate can provide the body with a sufficient amount of the mineral. Your choice will depend on your health and energy needs. For example, if you would like to feel more energized, magnesium malate is for you. On the other hand, if you would like to improve nutrient absorption, magnesium glycinate is the logical choice."

have you had a look for magnesium glycinate at all? whereabouts are you located on that left coast? you could see if switching/cutting down on magnesium for a while helped at all.

more later, once i know what form of zinc you're taking. ttfn!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Thanks JL,

I started using SRT Mg since is better tolerated, especially given my Crohns. Perhaps I should try glycinate form? I started taking to combat spasticity, maybe it helps with energy.

I'm in Vancouver.

Zinc: Elemental Zinc from 388 Mg of Zinc gluconate
Observation: I find Zinc can decrease the effects of Meds so I try to take some time before/after Meds

I need stronger reading specs . . .
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

jimmylegs wrote:hi again i figured out that your magnesium is dimagnesium malate, whereas i use magnesium glycinate. i'm not sure how you get better energy from the malate form without good absorption, but nonetheless i did find this comparison:

"Both magnesium glycinate and magnesium malate can provide the body with a sufficient amount of the mineral. Your choice will depend on your health and energy needs. For example, if you would like to feel more energized, magnesium malate is for you. On the other hand, if you would like to improve nutrient absorption, magnesium glycinate is the logical choice."
It's not about magnesium, it's about malate. Malate is an intermediate in the citric acid cycle and can act as a substrate for gluconeogenesis.

NHE
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

thx NHE. i've always focused on mag dependence (among other things) related to the krebs cycle.. for example, the ATP part of the picture.

eg glycolysis: glucose -> (use 2 ATPs to get) -> PGAL -> pyruvate.

glycolysis -> krebs -> electron transport chain
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

okay from what i understand, elemental zinc in zinc gluconate is 14%, given their individual molecular weights. so, you should be getting about 50mg elemental zinc in your current supplement. i wouldn't advise going any stronger.

for the time being, please don't take two of your zinc pills each day. can you tell me what all your meds are, so that i can check out the interactions? also can you tell me how you time all your various intakes of meds and supplements throughout the day?

i will send you a list of tests to request from your doc. can't do it just now, but later :) ttfn
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

one quick last thing: serum zinc and copper will be on the list :)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... cysymptoms
"What are deficiency symptoms for copper?
Because copper is involved in many functions of the body, copper deficiency produces an extensive range of symptoms. These symptoms include iron deficiency anemia, ruptured blood vessels, osteoporosis, joint problems, brain disturbances, elevated LDL cholesterol and reduced HDL cholesterol levels, increased susceptibility to infections due to poor immune function, loss of pigment in the hair and skin, weakness, fatigue, breathing difficulties, skin sores, poor thyroid function, and irregular heart beat.

Despite the fact that most Americans consume less than recommended amounts of copper in their diet, these symptoms of copper deficiency are relatively rare. However, certain medical conditions including chronic diarrhea, celiac sprue, and Crohn's disease result in decreased absorption of copper and may increase the risk of developing a copper deficiency. In addition, copper requires sufficient stomach acid for absorption, so if you consume antacids regularly you may increase your risk of developing a copper deficiency. Inadequate copper status is also observed in children with low protein intake and in infants fed only cow�s milk without supplemental copper."

does your zinc supplement contain any copper, for balancing purposes?
cg50in
Getting to Know You...

Post by cg50in »

JilPhones wrote:For me, from when I was diagnosed six years ago I was convinced of the link to my bowel.
This has been confirmed without any doubt when after a particularly stressful time at work I came out in nasty itchy rashes.
I went to a Kinesiologist who looked at what was causing me such allergic reactions. This guy has identified and confirmed the whole problem. He maintains that, every person he has ever met or treated with MS has an intolerance or allergy to gluten. In my case, the gluten had sufficiently weakened my bowel lining and Candida had taken hold. This resulted in symptoms consistent we celiac disease.
He gave me a list of things to abstain from and bingo - everything started to improve. David now cites me as his miracle case. Apart from the MS I was in such a bad state with my skin I needed help. I had done the drugs thing and was convinced that this is dealing with the effect but not in a permanent way. In fact the drug was damaging me further.
What I had was the cause. Dealing with the effect was simple - it takes care of itself.
I now have no tingling, no pain, I run 25+ miles a week and lead a normal and full life. All this because I know what the cause is. Bingo, one happy chap.
I have a story to tell and it isn't rocket science. We don't have to resort to the billion dollar drug companies or the quite frankly clueless doctors for relief. We have it in our power to do something ourselves.
Ditto my story exactly. Thank you so much for posting this.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens- ... ml#p188195
if you read along the zinc/gluten; ; zinc/celiac; zinc and intestinal/membrane permeability aka 'leaky gut'; and zinc/ms line, not to mention zinc/infection/candida, there's a plausible connection. worthwhile to investigate zinc status. eg, gluten free diet improves zinc status in celiacs, per published research.
have you ever had zinc tested as part of your process, cg?
cg50in
Getting to Know You...

Post by cg50in »

No JL Zinc never came up but was tested for everything else known to mankind. I did the elimination diet to isolate the gluten intolerance. At time in 2004 I was 49 yrs old and GI said no way it was Coeliac since I never had any symptoms my whole life. Endocospy/gliadin test were neg. also.
Long story short my bowels cleared up with diet in few weeks and wasn't till 2010 had my first suspect MS symptom - diplopia. This led to battery of tests which showed pos MRI pos LP etc. BTW prior to the Diplopia I had just put gluten back in my diet for trial to see if my intolerance was gone. Also Dad had MS, brother and niece also have MS. This Zinc relationship is very interesting.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

it's an incredibly interesting relationship.

you should see this post i finished a minute ago, i don't know why zinc continues to amaze me, but it does. check this sucker out:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... ml#p193884

glad you are feeling better :)
wolfette

Post by wolfette »

I am new here. I was diagnosed with RRMS last month on 10/22/12. I was having bowel issues, and realized for me it was MSG and Gluten. Since I have eliminated these two demons, I rarely have bowel issues. I do have weak, heavy, tired legs though which is my main symptom.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

@ daisy re Holland & barrett

found this uk shop, 'revital health place' - product listings look great
https://www.revital.co.uk/home