Lower Back Pain

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
sunnydelilah
Family Member

Lower Back Pain

Post by sunnydelilah »

I started using Curcumin (extract of tumeric) and after a couple of months have gotten rid of all the pain. No more chiropratic visits and no more pain. My nervous system inflammation has left as well. My nerves are behaving near normally. Highly recommend it. (2000mg daily, half morning, half evening) It is pretty inexpensive too. Haven't noticed any adverse side effects, except no pain.
LindaR
Family Member

Post by LindaR »

I use it too but not consistently but I will now. Do you find it bothers your stomach at all. What brand do you use?
sunnydelilah
Family Member

Curcumin

Post by sunnydelilah »

I used a brand called Doctor's Best, but I am switching to one produced by Life Extension. It is a super curcumin, or 900mg per pill with 5mg of biopreme (pepper extract) which aides the bodies absorption of the curcumin. I bought the Doctor's Best and had to use it up first. I have gotten an email from another individual that has MS which got rid of their back pain. It acts like an anti-inflammatory and works well in my opinion. Plus it is cheap to use and I haven't noticed any negative side effects. Good luck!
ReneeK

also Boswelia - Frankencense

Post by ReneeK »

It is traditional to use it like incense and inhale the smoke.They sell drops and capsules too, but I like the smell so I burn it on a charcoal burner and inhale the smoke.

Its a very excellent anti inflammatory. And it gets rid of "evil eye" too. (In case THAT is the real cause of MS).
dg980
Getting to Know You...

back pain

Post by dg980 »

Finally someone that thinks their back pain is related to ms. My nero does not think so but my back went out and then a while later I had an attack. I never had back pain before or a major attack (could not walk). I have been looking at the LifeExtention brand and I am going to try it.
VodooDoll
Family Member

Post by VodooDoll »

I had terrible low back pain since being dx in 2007.
Started Rebif and my pain is gone. But still have inflammation in thighs.
Does anyone know if you can use this while on Rebif?

Thanks
Maledicte
Family Member

Re:

Post by Maledicte »

VodooDoll wrote:I had terrible low back pain since being dx in 2007.
Started Rebif and my pain is gone. But still have inflammation in thighs.
Does anyone know if you can use this while on Rebif?

Thanks

I use rebif and take epitol for nerve pain and turmeric for muscle and nerve pain

both help alot and epitol is pretty inexpensive ($4 at pharmacy)
my neuro said turmeric is fine to take, just to avoid anything that stimulates immune system

take lots of vit d (i read a study in london where they are giving up to 40,000 ui of vit d and it appearing to slow down ms)
Currently 5,000 ui myself, and lots of vit b and fish oil and cal/mag

Get a good neuro who listens
And any question i have found ms life lines nurses to be sooo helpful and nice

I am lucky in the fact I have no side effects from Rebif.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Maledictesjewels
MarkLavelle
Family Elder

Re: back pain

Post by MarkLavelle »

dg980 wrote:Finally someone that thinks their back pain is related to ms. My nero does not think so but my back went out and then a while later I had an attack.
While your back pain may be MS-related, I would still go see a good back doctor if I were you (think physiatrist, sports medicine). You could have mechanical problems that no MS med will help.

My first MS attack started with paresthesia in my lower legs (11/09), followed only a month later by my already-herniated L5 disc acting up. It took almost a year to sort out what was mechanical (muscle numbness when vertical, sciatica) and what was MS (paresthesia, spasticity), and both were getting worse the whole time (and I grew a new cyst next to my spinal cord).

Now it's been 5 months since my back surgery, and mobility is a total non-issue. I still have MS to deal with, but at least I can take nice long walks again!

Good luck,
Mark

RRMS dx 3/3/11; Copaxone since 12/1/11
andreagwolford

Re: Lower Back Pain

Post by andreagwolford »

Good to hear that. Apart from that, one can also check out physiotheraphy to see if they can see a structural, muscle, or gait issue that could be causing this and can also consider massages by someone who is very experienced in treating MS patients.
Azaeleaprawn
Family Member

Post by Azaeleaprawn »

My lower back pain is pretty well gone thanks to acupunture, physical therapy and medicinal marijuana.
My physical therapist gave me some very targeted stretch excercises to do and as well as acupuncture over several months which did amazing things for horrible lower back pain that I had had for about four years.
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

I see that this topic is from 2005 but I'm very interested in the benefits of Curcumin. Does anyone know if 2000mg. in tablet form
would be similar to (approx.) 1/4 tsp. of Turmeric. If not, how much would I need to use to equal 2000 mg.? I've been adding
it to my green tea daily for about 2 mos., I haven't noticed any difference in pain yet, maybe I should add more.
I believe they are both (iron) chelators and anti-inflammatories. Thanks for your help
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

dlynn wrote:I see that this topic is from 2005 but I'm very interested in the benefits of Curcumin. Does anyone know if 2000mg. in tablet form
would be similar to (approx.) 1/4 tsp. of Turmeric. If not, how much would I need to use to equal 2000 mg.? I've been adding
it to my green tea daily for about 2 mos., I haven't noticed any difference in pain yet, maybe I should add more.
I believe they are both (iron) chelators and anti-inflammatories. Thanks for your help
I've read that whole turmeric is about 3 to 4% curcumin by weight. I take 1 tablespoon/day. This weighs 9.3 g. Thus, there's about 280 to 372 mg curcumin present. Since curcumin is lipid soluble and not water soluble, I mix it with olive oil and then add some plain yogurt. My theory is that this will help with absorption.

Since your taking 0.25 tsp of whole turmeric, then I would estimate the weight to be around 775 mg and 4% of that is 31 mg which is nowhere close to your 2000 mg number.

The best forms of curcumin for absorption are the BCM-95 curcumins and the phytosome curcumins. You can read about these different forms on the following thread.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 18585.html

Update: Longovida curcumin claims 65 x better absorption than plain curcumin extract. This makes it considerably better than the other forms. Example.

Some folks take curcumin with piperine which is an extract of black pepper. This increases the absorption of curcumin (as well as many other compounds). However, piperine inhibits many of the cytochrome (CYP) enzymes and can interfere with detox of foreign substances as well as drug metabolism.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... ml#p181912

However, keep in mind that curcumin isn't the only good thing in turmeric. There is also a class of antioxidants known as turmerones. If memory serves me correctly, these are also present in whole turmeric at around 3% by weight.

Here are some papers on turmerones...

The role of turmerones on curcumin transportation and P-glycoprotein activities in intestinal Caco-2 cells.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22181075

Aromatic-turmerone attenuates invasion and expression of MMP-9 and COX-2 through inhibition of NF-κB activation in TPA-induced breast cancer cells.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22740037

Oh, to answer your question.
If not, how much would I need to use to equal 2000 mg?
Assuming all things being equal such as absorption (which is likely incorrect), then...

2000 mg ÷ 0.04 ÷ 1000 mg/g ÷ 9.3 g/TB = 5.4 TB Image

NHE
dlynn
Family Elder

Post by dlynn »

Thanks NHE,
That's alot of Turmeric, I think I'll add a supplement too. And thanks for the links!