Embryonic Stem Cell treatment reference

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.
manojag22
Family Member

Embryonic Stem Cell treatment reference

Post by manojag22 »

Dear All,

One of my young MS friend would like to go for Embryonic stem cell treatment available legally in Delhi India, by Dr. Geeta Shroff. He would like to know if anyone taken the similar treatment and how was the experience in terms of improvements, side effects etc.

Thanx

Manoj
ApVish
Family Member

Re: Embryonic Stem Cell treatment reference

Post by ApVish »

I searched in the web and couldn't find what regimen Dr. Shroff has actually implemented using Embryonic stem cells.

Found a generic link - http://healthcarehacks.com/resources/st ... -treatment

which states "neurodegenerative disease patients with brain lesions are seeing reversals", but nothing in detail.

It would be of great help if you / your friend could post what has been discussed with docter, what is the treatment all about, outcome of the treatment etc. It would help others a lot.
ApVish
Family Member

Post by ApVish »

My interest very much spiked reading about the embryonic stemm cell treatment and I did some Googling and Bing'ng on the internet and found these links

http://rustywithoutwheels.com/about-dr-shroff/
http://www.pursuit.amandaboxtel.com/?paged=5
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/indi ... treatments

I am extremely excited about what I have read so far and would want to collect more information. The cost for these treatments is much lesser and would be viable for many people who are having troubles with saving 80+ (for germany) and 150+ (for Dr Burt's trials)

I am indeed worried about not having enough information on how these actually work and possible side effects etc.

I am very much interested to learn what others, George, Asher, Shucks, HUD think about this.
HUD45
Family Member

Post by HUD45 »

Hi ApVish. Very interesting topic indeed, and highly controversial as well. No matter what a persons views on embryonic stem cells are, this is the very definition of experimental treatment plain and simple. The only evidence of success is purely anecdotal and it is very curious to me why the good Dr. and her trusty apprentice has not formulated any study for the world to see. This fact in itself worries me the most. I am not saying this stem cell treatment does not work, only that there are massive potential risks already known, the largest of wich is tumors after treatment mabye years later. I get it that there are desperate patients out there willing to take risk but you need something more to go on than a few individual stories. Mabye this is the start of the next great breakthrough but I need more solid evidence of probable positive outcome with longer term reliability that a side effect will not be the ultimate sacrifice for an anecdotal possible result. I guess new treatments have to start with willing patients sometime but from my point of view such a patient would be a lab rat laying it all on the line. More stories will be told and the picture will clear, just not fast enough for most of us with disabitities from diseases like MS...HUD
CVfactor
Family Elder

Post by CVfactor »

The immunologists on the forefront of MS research have discovered that this disease is caused by a loss of self tolerance. This means that your bodies immune system cannot recognize tissue of the own body from foreign pathogens and causes damage to these organs (in MS it is the spinal chord, brain and optic nerve).

There is overwhelming evidence of this shown by the differences in the immune system mechanisms of people with MS and healthy controls.

I believe that the goal of embryonic stem cell treatment is to repair damage that has already been sustained. To me this seems pre-mature because the disease course of multiple sclerosis would not first be stopped (the immune system is still not self tolerant) and hence additional damage would continue to occur.

I would be very skeptical of this treatment. I think the best thing that you and your friend can do is become aware of how the immune system works. You may then realize that this approach would not be a logical treatment to pursue.
georgegoss
Family Elder

Post by georgegoss »

I would have to 100% agree with the comments from both Hud and CVfactor.

In acheiving some level of a curative result for MS it is necessary to first stop the body's damaging autoreactivity (which as of today requies elimination of the offending lymphocytes via chemotherapy), and then an attempt can be made to repair already-existing MS-induced damage. If an embryonic stem cell therapy can address and acheive the damage repair side of the equation, then it should be provable though properly-conducted & repeatably demonstrated scientific means. Anecdotal data alone is insufficient, as well as being highly suspect for being snake oil.

"Don't pay attention the man behind the curtain. He is the one holding the secret cure recipe."
CVfactor
Family Elder

Post by CVfactor »

Eureka! Zomboni is Oz.