mylien regrown

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.
scorpions
Family Member

mylien regrown

Post by scorpions »

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/apr ... ford-case/

"Ordinary skin cells have been directly converted into the myelinating cells destroyed in multiple sclerosis, according to two new papers in Nature Biotechnology."
Pesho
Family Member

Re: mylien regrown

Post by Pesho »

That is great. Just I have one question with all those similar stem cell therapies, do they stop progression? I'm asking because I'm planning to have HSCT by the end of the year and just pure stem cell sounds much safer. It might be some more years before this is available to the public, but I might wait a bit.
vw35qrt
Getting to Know You...

Post by vw35qrt »

Stanford University School of Medicine Convert Skin Cells into Oligodendrocyte Precursor Cells that myelinate (provide protective myelinating sheath) to protect nerve cells.
http://www.kurzweilai.net/turning-skin- ... te-neurons
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

Pesho wrote:do they stop progression?
These are just basic science studies. There is nothing to "release to the public" yet. This is not a clinical treatment [yet]
miri
Family Elder

Post by miri »

Please forgive my ignorance on the topic, but i thought I read something to the effect that while adipose stem cells repair tissues "cleanly" there seems to be a question about whether in the long term, they are as permanently effective as HSC's

aren't hematopoetic stem cells supposed to be more advisable than adipose (fat-derived)?
Unless the link in the OP is referring to something different?
Reachable via PM. Seems I have Higbee's HSII on ThisIsMS. Frustrated by MSers, FMers, Lymers & Prematurely-Aged-By-EMFers who prefer cryptic jargonian Systems Vs. Intuitive empirical experience. Don't simple truths count for anything anymore?
vw35qrt
Getting to Know You...

Post by vw35qrt »

Pesho wrote:That is great. Just I have one question with all those similar stem cell therapies, do they stop progression? I'm asking because I'm planning to have HSCT by the end of the year and just pure stem cell sounds much safer. It might be some more years before this is available to the public, but I might wait a bit.

HSCT I believe is a therapy used to help those with relapsing-remitting MS. It is not a therapy being used to treat those with progressive MS. Progressive MS patients might see a potential new stem cell treatment using oligodendroglial progenitor cells (OPCs) that have the ability to also "spike" better when injected into the spinal cord and brain of mice. These "super cells" produced longer and thicker myelin sheaths around axons and repair the damage to the central nervous system that progressive MS patients have.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb11071180.htm

Return to “Stem Cells”