Stem Cell Treatment Testimonials

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.
spadworld
Getting to Know You...

Re: Stem Cell Treatment Testimonials

Post by spadworld »

This was the first message I received from dr.Slavin secretary, Ruth Grunblaum. It's in italian, copy and paste it into google translator, I know its just for bad translating, but just to get the idea...
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

spadworld wrote:Well, being my same bone marrow cells, at this moment I didn't take any immunosoppression, any chemio.I guess chemio was required if it was cells coming from someone else's.
No, the chemo in stem cell treatment of MS is to totally kill your existing immune system (which is attacking your brain) and then the bone marrow stem cells are used to regenerate a new immune system (which should now be non-existent, and you need one to survive), which is hoped to be naive to Myelin (ie a new immune system which does not attack your brain, and hence the term "rebooting the immune system"). These two steps are commonly found in the stem cell treatments I have read to be considered the most effective.
spadworld
Getting to Know You...

Post by spadworld »

What can I say...I'm at Vienna airport after one and a half day after my first infusion. I'll tell you what : I don't know how many cells have been transplanted to me (guess there should be a very exact number of it, right), no one was so kind to tell me how things are going to proceed, now, chemo or not. I at this very moment feel really really bad, I walk with heavy fatigue, so worst than just two days ago. If I want to know one way or another, I suppose it will be me the one to ask mrs.Blaum, asking for all the questions I have...
After spending a (for me) great lot of money, I would have expected to be followed just a bit better...but I suppose I only can Keep calm and carry on! We are soldiers...
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

(NB: I am not a dr and so any advice below is simply one persons opinion)

You should not expect to feel better within any short time. Your body will probably need to readjust to what it has been subjected to. Remember, those that have undergone the most extreme treatments (eg chemo) have been the ones who have experienced the most surprises. I wish you the best.

As for "follow up", they probably feel they have done their job, and have nothing more to offer you, that you cannot get from your normal support (ie local doctor and/or neurologist). If your neuro is not interested in helping, maybe its time to get a new neuro.

Also, I would not think that your treatment has ended in totality. I am not a Dr, but I note that those providing HyCy treatment changed their treatment to now include 1y of Copaxane, after stem cell treatment. Eat right, look after yourself and be healthy. Give your body the best chance to heal.
spadworld
Getting to Know You...

Post by spadworld »

Indeed, CureOrBust...indeed. I would never expect nothing more than I get, in just 2 days after the first lp. As I told to relatives and friends who asked me, I suppose I have to follow up my self for, at least six months...and maybe it will require more time and time, even more than 6 months. Problem is that I don't have exactly a "Dalai Lama" attitude....even if I would like to. :-D
Anyway, yesterday evening I've arrived at home, back in Italy from Austria.
What was what Ewan McGregor used to say to Nicole Kidman, in movie "Moulin Rouge"???? Come what may! Even if last time I said it to my former girlfriend....well, I suppose it didn't bring me too luck! :-P

Lot of greetings!