RE; STEMCELL TRANSPLANT GAME CHANGER FOR M.S PATENTS

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.
seeva
Family Elder

RE; STEMCELL TRANSPLANT GAME CHANGER FOR M.S PATENTS

Post by seeva »

HI FRIENDS PLEASE READ

regards
seeva
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: RE; STEMCELL TRANSPLANT GAME CHANGER FOR M.S PATENTS

Post by ElliotB »

Stem cell therapies are neither proven effective or fully safe for PWMS at this time. Perhaps sometime in the future the procedure will be a better, safer choice and of course as a choice of last resort, it may make sense to try it now.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

[color=blue]BBC News[/color] wrote:Just over 100 patients took part in the trial, in hospitals in Chicago, Sheffield, Uppsala in Sweden and Sao Paulo in Brazil.

They all had relapsing remitting MS - where attacks or relapses are followed by periods of remission.

The interim results were released at the annual meeting of the European Society for Bone and Marrow Transplantation in Lisbon.

The patients received either haematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) or drug treatment.

After one year, only one relapse occurred among the stem cell group compared with 39 in the drug group.

After an average follow-up of three years, the transplants had failed in three out of 52 patients (6%), compared with 30 of 50 (60%) in the control group.

Those in the transplant group experienced a reduction in disability, whereas symptoms worsened in the drug group.

Prof Richard Burt, lead investigator, Northwestern University Chicago, told me: "The data is stunningly in favour of transplant against the best available drugs - the neurological community has been sceptical about this treatment, but these results will change that."
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

From the article:
"Doctors stress it is not suitable for all MS patients and the process can be gruelling, involving chemotherapy and a few weeks in isolation in hospital."

There are numerous references to negative outcomes for similar treatments on the web. "chemotherapy" is not for me... Chemotherapy is strong medicine typically used to fight cancer, It is powerful medication that to me should potentially only taken as a last resort. Chemotherapy is known to harm healthy cells. There are safe alternatives that will potentially accomplish the same task of repopulating the immune system (gut) with good bacteria. Here is a link to a website offer a product they claim will stimulate stem cells:

https://www.stem-kine.com/joe-rogan-mel ... gLEuvD_BwE

They claim the product, which is all natural in its ingredients "stimulates your body to double the release of circulating stem cells, revitalizing your health, wellness, and regenerative capabilities".

This company also has a clinic offering stem cell therapy transplants.

"After an average follow-up of three years, the transplants had failed in three out of 52 patients (6%), compared with 30 of 50 (60%) in the control group"

I wonder what drug they gave the control group as they state they did (no mention of a placebo), Also, 60% failure rate is pretty high compared to typical people with RRMS. Something doesn't sound right, Must be the same fuzzy math principles used by Dr. Zamboni with regard to the success of his CCSVI treatment!

Frankly I hope they are correct but I am highly suspicious - this type of treatment is still experimental, by its nature highly dangerous and people have died elsewhere doing it.

Return to “Stem Cells”