Epigenetics

Discuss topics relevant to gene therapy for MS here
LR1234
Family Elder

Epigenetics

Post by LR1234 »

Hi,
I just watched a really interesting programme about identical twins with the same genetics/DNA etc. The programme was about epigenetics and how the enviroment can switch genes on and off which can lead to one identical twin suffering from a disease i.e lukemia or Type 1 diabetes and the other twin not suffering from it. Because they share the same genes there is an enviromental factor (either from the womb-life experiences) that changes the epigenetics.

If anyone knows about the epigenetics in MS I would be really interested in knowing more.

I have started looking at the prevelance on MS in identical twins but cannot find that many studies.

I was just wondering as well that if there is an enviromental trigger which leads to a gene being turned on or off in MS that would suggest that maybe our enviroment and the way we live could perhaps also have an effect on deactivating the gene in question.

L
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

L, you're coming at epigenetics from exactly where I started: identical twins. There are quite a few threads on epigenetics here and the posts I'd look for are those from BioDocFl (Wesley), who is a researcher whose work is at least somehow related to epigenetics. Hopefully he'll comment...
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Cool thanks Dignan.

I think epigenetics is so interesting.

It also got me thinking about CCSVI.
If CCSVI is something congenital then identical twins should both suffer with MS regardless of triggers. (as that theory is occluded veins a mechanical problem that identical twins should share).

It should get to the bottom of whether stenosis is aquired or congential.
and If one has occluded veins does that meant they will automatically develop MS.
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Yeah, the CCVI angle is interesting. From what I understand from the conference Cheer attended, people are born with stenosis, but that isn't to say that it has to be entirely about the genes. Could it not be due to "environmental factors" in the womb? Or even something simplistic like the position of the foetus? It's all just pie in the sky speculation anyway. It will take years of thorough research to get to the bottom of this and the answer isn't going to come from TIMS.

Return to “Gene Therapy”