Chelation Therapy?

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
civickiller
Family Elder

Chelation Therapy?

Post by civickiller »

Has anyone tried chelation therpay? pronounced keylation. theres a few of them out there, EDTA Calcium disodium, DMSA.

Pulls heavy metals out of your body. you have to take vitamins to replace the metals you need

hearing about ccsvi wonder if chelation therapy would help with the iron in the blood

idk if i should post this hear or in the ccsvi threads
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

civickiller-
There is a chelation thread in CCSVI already--I started it, but have not kept up the posting. Need to do that.
I started disodium EDTA chelation mainly to clear arteries of plaque, but assuming it will clear other stuff, incuding veins.
Feeling better with it, but it is a long process--need at least 30 sessions, so far not even 10 yet.

Have just been getting blood and urine checked re kidneys--never did the initial challenge test, because knew from neck x-ray that I did have calcium building up in carotid artery.
My assumption has been that the chelation will also be removing other elements, hopefully iron also. (although I don't think it can remove iron from brain, but still looking for info on that aspect).

But will do a challenge test prior to next chelation to see what elements in urine, and then after the drip will give urine sample, so can determine at this point what metals are being withdrawn by the chelation.

Will post on the chelation CCSVI thread.

And BTW it is minerals that need to be replaced, not so much vitamins--except chelation does remove vit B6 as well as the minerals.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Chelation Therapy

Post by NHE »

shye wrote:My assumption has been that the chelation will also be removing other elements, hopefully iron also. (although I don't think it can remove iron from brain, but still looking for info on that aspect).
[color=blue]NHE[/color] wrote:EDTA will readily bind with many cations including magnesium, zinc and calcium. Fairly to take this into account can have negative physiological consequences.

The table listed in the link below lists the formation complex constants for various metal ions and EDTA. Essentially, the data is a measure of how readily EDTA binds (complexes) with the metal ion. The larger the number, the stronger the binding affinity. For example, the formation constant for zinc (Zn2+) is 3.2x10^16 while for iron II (Fe2+) it's 2.1x10^14. This means that EDTA will bind to (and remove from the body) zinc (Zn2+) 150 times greater than it will bind to iron II (Fe2+).

In a nutshell, in addition to iron, EDTA will also remove magnesium, zinc, calcium and other important ions unless this effect is counteracted with supplementation.

Note: I'm not pretending to be an expert on chelation therapy. I'm just sharing a bit of my knowledge in chemistry.

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~cem333/EDTATable.html
shye
Family Elder

Post by shye »

Thanks NHE--am supplementing with the minerals--but if am reading correctly, potassium is what EDTA binds most with--and already I hve potassium problem. Am supplementing with, but will increase K, and see if high blood pressure comes down even more, and if some of sensory probs diminish.
civickiller
Family Elder

Post by civickiller »

I am now taking DMSA for chelation. Anyone try that?
jackD
Family Elder

Green Tea extract and R-lipoic Acid

Post by jackD »

Green Tea extract and R-lipoic Acid are two things GREAT for MS folks that lower MMP-9s and ARE EXCELLENT CHELATORS.

They make it into the brain unlike most other chelators.

jackD
jackD
Family Elder

Re: Green Tea extract and R-lipoic Acid

Post by jackD »

jackD wrote:Green Tea extract and R-lipoic Acid are two things GREAT for MS folks that lower MMP-9s and ARE EXCELLENT CHELATORS.

They make it into the brain unlike most other chelators.

jackD
J Alzheimers Dis. 2008 Oct;15(2):211-22.

Cell signaling pathways and iron chelation in the neurorestorative activity of green tea polyphenols: special reference to epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG).
Mandel SA, Amit T, Kalfon L, Reznichenko L, Weinreb O, Youdim MB.

Eve Topf Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases Research and Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel. mandel@tx.technion.ac.il

Abstract
Although much progress has been made in understanding the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease (AD), the current therapeutic approaches are merely symptomatic, intended for the treatment of cognitive symptoms, such as disturbances in memory and perception. Novel promising strategies suggest the use of anti-inflammatory drugs, antioxidants including natural occurring plant flavonoids, iron-complexing molecules, neurotrophic factor delivery, inhibitors of the amyloid-beta protein precursor processing secretases, gamma and beta, that generate amyloid-beta peptides and the interference with lipid and cholesterol metabolism. Human epidemiological and new animal data suggest that tea drinking may decrease the incidence of dementia, AD and Parkinson's disease.

In particular, its main catechin polyphenol constituent (-)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) has been shown to exert neuroprotective/neurorescue activities in a wide array of cellular and animal models of neurological disorders.

This review provides a detailed overview on the multimodal activities of green tea polyphenols with emphasis on their iron chelating, neurorescue/neuroregenerative and mitochondrial stabilization action.
PMID: 18953110 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
msjen
Family Member

Post by msjen »

civickiller wrote:I am now taking DMSA for chelation. Anyone try that?
I took DMSA a couple years ago and stopped having jolts in my head when I was through. FYI- I've still had quite a bit of relapses due to stress and am being tested for the 2nd time for CCSVI (I've had the balloon angioplasty once) on Thursday.