Anyone taking whey protein (HMS 90) "Immunocal"

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
perseus

Anyone taking whey protein (HMS 90) "Immunocal"

Post by perseus »

I would like to know if anyone has tried/ is taking HMS-90 (or whey protein, also known as Immunocal) and if they find it to be beneficial for relieving MS symptoms. HMS-90 is an antioxidant (glutathione) marketed to help treat autoimmune diseases but I could not find any clinical trials performed in MS patients.

Any information or personal experiences would be appreciated.
Thank you, Perseus
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I have not tried any of the products you mention. But I did notice that I felt worse the next day when I had a large dose of Whey Protien Isolate (as used by body builders). I tested it, and got the same results another day, so I never tried it again.
perseus

Post by perseus »

Thanks for sharing your experience. My cousin told me of someone taking HMS-90 who has experienced a significant improvement in mobility these past 4 months. She says it is due to the HMS-90. However, I am skeptical because Immunocal(r) is marketed as an immune system enhancer, which I think would increase the likelihood of attacks and not decrease it. I try to avoid foods/ products that may stimulate the immune system or may trigger an inflammatory response.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

perseus wrote:However, I am skeptical because Immunocal(r) is marketed as an immune system enhancer, which I think would increase the likelihood of attacks and not decrease it.
I think LDN (which helps a LOT of people) works by "boosting" or correcting the immune system, and a number of people are reporting HUGE benefits from antibiotic treatments, so dont totally count it out on that reason.
perseus wrote:I try to avoid foods/ products that may stimulate the immune system or may trigger an inflammatory response.
I also try to avoid foods that I think trigger "an inflammatory response". I think the whey protein (or any large protein load) triggers an inflammatory response in me.

I forgot to mention, I also tried colostrum (which may be related to the product you are talking of) and I think that didnt help either. A naturapath (or something) in the shop told me if I was buying it for an auto-immune disorder, not to bother, as the important stuff in it didnt make it through the intestinal walls in large quantities (but I never had any confirmation of that statement).

By the way, Im on LDN, Antibiotics and statins, and improving each day. The first two dont exactly dull the immune system.
perseus

Post by perseus »

I agree with you that products that "correct" or modify the immune response have been helpful. However, immune boosters, especially when interferon-gamma is induced, may make me feel worse. I am afraid to increase the likelihood of an attack because I have increased the activity of my immune response in the wrong way. Moducare(r) is one example of an immune response modifyer that I avoid because it induces interferon-gamma, known to have worsened MS symptoms in clinical trials. I am not aware of the detailed effects of whey protein or HMS-90 on the immune system which is why I am not sure about its "miraculous" effects. I am leaning towards trying one of the statins, LDN or antibiotics as you have - and am glad that they are working for you.
mneuner

Post by mneuner »

I have been taking Immunocal for a month now. I am taking 3-4 packets a day. I've was diagnosed with relaapsing/remitting ms 13 years ago. I have limited mobillity..get around mostly by scooter outside the home. The main thing I have noticed so far is an increase in energy. I figure I will give it another month or two but will expect more given the expense.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Anyone taking whey protein (HMS 90)

Post by NHE »

perseus wrote:Any information or personal experiences would be appreciated.
I looked into it some time ago. To the best of my recollection, Immunocal is stated to act as a substrate for the production of glutathione (a naturally occurring antioxidant).

NHE