C.C. Tangney, PhD,
N.T. Aggarwal, MD,
H. Li, MS,
R.S. Wilson, PhD,
C. DeCarli, MD,
D.A. Evans, MD and
M.C. Morris, ScD

+ Author Affiliations

From the Department of Clinical Nutrition (C.C.T.), Section of Nutrition & Nutritional Epidemiology, Department of Internal Medicine (C.C.T., H.L., M.C.M.), Rush Institute for Healthy Aging, Chicago; Departments of Internal Medicine (N.T.A., R.S.W., D.A.E.), Preventive Medicine (D.A.E., M.C.M.), and Neurological Sciences (N.T.A., R.S.W.), Rush Alzheimer's Disease Center (N.T.A., R.S.W., D.A.E.), Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL; and Department of Neurology and Center for Neuroscience (C.D.), University of California-Davis, Sacramento, CA.

Address correspondence and reprint requests to Dr. Christine C. Tangney, Department of Clinical Nutrition 425 TOB, Rush University Medical Center, 1700 West Van Buren St., Chicago, IL 60612 ctangney@rush.edu

Abstract

Objective: To investigate the interrelations of serum vitamin B12 markers with brain volumes, cerebral infarcts, and performance in different cognitive domains in a biracial population sample cross-sectionally.

Methods: In 121 community-dwelling participants of the Chicago Health and Aging Project, serum markers of vitamin B12 status were related to summary measures of neuropsychological tests of 5 cognitive domains and brain MRI measures obtained on average 4.6 years later among 121 older adults.

Results: Concentrations of all vitamin B12–related markers, but not serum vitamin B12 itself, were associated with global cognitive function and with total brain volume. Methylmalonate levels were associated with poorer episodic memory and perceptual speed, and cystathionine and 2-methylcitrate with poorer episodic and semantic memory. Homocysteine concentrations were associated with decreased total brain volume. The homocysteine-global cognition effect was modified and no longer statistically significant with adjustment for white matter volume or cerebral infarcts. The methylmalonate-global cognition effect was modified and no longer significant with adjustment for total brain volume.

Conclusions: Methylmalonate, a specific marker of B12 deficiency, may affect cognition by reducing total brain volume whereas the effect of homocysteine (nonspecific to vitamin B12 deficiency) on cognitive performance may be mediated through increased white matter hyperintensity and cerebral infarcts. Vitamin B12 status may affect the brain through multiple mechanisms.
This was a study done on the normal population, but pwMS often have b12 deficiencies, which can be corrected through diet or supplements. One interesting thing in the study was that serum levels of b12 were not associated with the cognitive deficiences. Is it that people who do not metabolize b12 well end up with the issues?
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: all things vitamin b12

Post by lyndacarol »

I thought others here at ThisIsMS might find the following info interesting in respect to Alzheimer's disease.

A recent study found that macrophages (a type of white blood cell) use DHA to produce maresins, which fight inflammation: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 135442.htm

"Should you decide to boost your B12 intake with a supplement, please be aware that oral or sublingual B12 tablets do not work very well, so you may be wasting your money"... "Injectable B12 is considered the gold standard, but sublingual sprays are just as effective as the injectable versions. They're also more convenient, not to mention less painful to use."

"A small Finnish study published in the journal Neurology (10) found that people who consume foods rich in B12 may reduce their risk of Alzheimer's in their later years. For each unit increase in the marker of vitamin B12 (holotranscobalamin) the risk of developing Alzheimer's was reduced by 2 percent: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20956785*

Remember, sublingual methylcobalamin may be your best bet here." – Please note the contradictory opinions on sublingual B12 tablets.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

research findings re sublingual efficacy

Replacement therapy for vitamin B12 deficiency: comparison between the sublingual and oral route (2003)
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 907.x/full

Oral versus intramuscular cobalamin treatment in megaloblastic anemia: A single-center, prospective, randomized, open-label study (2003)
http://www.clinicaltherapeutics.com/article/S0149-2918(03%2990096-8/abstract
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Jimmylegs, do you have any comments on B12 levels/usage by the body as they may relate to MCV?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

heya, just the usual stuff re status quo use of hematological criteria for assessment - deficiency usually defined in terms of levels at which an increase in mcv can be observed. cognitive criteria not routinely considered. is that where you're going with that question?
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

sort of... my MCV came down greatly soon after starting methylcobalamin injections early December 2012. The sublingual methylcobalamin http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson- ... csp=SWU842 is what I had been taking for months prior.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

interesting, do you know off the top of your head whether your serum cobalamin levels changed dramatically as well, after the switch from SL to IM?
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

B12 levels were high (over 1000) before and after the B12 injections.
Last edited by THX1138 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

again, interesting. i'll have to take a look at that when I'm more awake :)
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Masked deficit of vitamin B12 in the patient with heterozygous beta-thalassemia and spastic paraparesis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15742609
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

re the change in mcv after injected vs sublingual methylcobalamin, I'd be interested in seeing if any other aspect of the routine changed about the same time.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Regarding, changes around late 2012 - early 2013, I just thought of three:

1)I went from drinking about 6-8 12 oz beers a week to rarely drinking.
2) I quit the "vitamin" D.
3 )I stopped eating so many pizzas.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Does anyone know if B12 (methylcobalamin) patches work :?:

I am happy with the subcutaneous methylcobalamin injections using the tiny, tiny 31 gauge insulin syringe - momentary slight discomfort at worst. However, many people shy away from this extremely effective way of getting the neuroprotective methyl-B12 because it involves a needle. So, I would like to find an effective option that would not use a needle. Based on my own experience and what I have read, I don't feel comfortable recommending any kind of oral B12 (sublingual or otherwise) for a nutrient that is so necessary to prevent nervous system damage.

Thanks
THX1138
Last edited by THX1138 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

no harm trying sublingual imv - it does go straight into the blood stream, and patients can always opt to monitor MCV if needed, to decide if shots might be in order.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

fyi from 2006
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... tml#p16274
He was also worried about my anemia. He thinks it might be pernicious because the blood cell volume is so high. Well, have always been slightly anemic, and B-12 deficiency was the first thing that I was tested for when ruling out MS. And, then again, by other doctors, but the cell volume didn't worry them.
also, i've mentioned before that zinc improves b12 absorption.. a couple studies from the 1950s:

Zinc Metabolism in Hepatic Dysfunction: Serum Zinc Concentrations in Laënnec's Cirrhosis and Their Validation by Sequential Analysis
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NE ... 8302550901
The serum zinc concentration has been reported to be decreased in several diseases, notably pernicious anemia.

Metalloenzymes and myocardial infarction: malic and lactic dehydrogenase activities and zinc concentrations in serum
http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM195609062551001
The serum concentration of zinc is decreased in several other pathologic states, notably cirrhosis of the liver and pernicious anemia.