the rest of the B complex

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi em, colchicine depletes important nutrients for ms patients. including b12 in particular, potassium and sodium too, and beta-carotene.

if your uric acid levels are up in the gout range, then high dose potassium may be useful in your case. black cherry capsules are high in potassium. you can also get a fairly useful high dose supplement over the counter at the pharmacy.

we need 3500 - 4000 mg potassium intake per day and the highest dose pill i have found was 600 mg. a banana usually has 500-800mg depending on the size.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Mirry
Family Member

Post by Mirry »

What is one of those Niacin flushes?
Mirry
"Just another bump in the road"
patientx
Family Elder

Vitamin B neuroprotective?

Post by patientx »

It's not MS, and this is a small preliminary study, but still....

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health ... -B12_N.htm
zinamaria
Family Elder

vit b12

Post by zinamaria »

Hi Patientx,

Just saw this post and read the article, and think it is relative to our needs, since it looks like our brains are somewhat jeopardized too...I take B12 shots when I feel fatigued, and feel the effects immediately, which means I have more energy in the day.
I do not eat a lot of red meat or eggs, which is why I take the shot.

Good stuff, thanks for posting,

Zina
hannakat
Family Elder

the rest of the B complex

Post by hannakat »

I'm looking for a whole B complex. Thought I had a good one until I learned about yellow urine. Found out that if the B complex makes your urine yellow, it's not a good choice. Yellow is evidence of stressed out kidneys working hard to detoxify the synthetics.

So, I'm searching for a truely good B complex! Thanks for any help!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

actually as far as i know, the riboflavin (B2) in particular is just.. yellow. whatever you don't absorb, you excrete.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
hannakat
Family Elder

Post by hannakat »

Thanks jimmylegs, but having kidneys that are already compromised, I am asking for a good whole food B complex recommendation from someone who already knows it doesn't have the additive that turns urine yellow.

I know it's out there, would like to save some time and $$$ from someone else's experience.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok good luck :) i have not been able to find anything to indicate an additive that turns urine yellow, other than just plain old high volumes of vit B2.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

what is the name of the additive, hk?
hannakat
Family Elder

Post by hannakat »

It's not an additive. From what I understand (and I do not understand things well like you do) it's coal tar that makes urine yellow. Coal tar is used as a source.

***Yellow is NOT the "good" kinda stuff. The B vitamin that makes your urine yellow is roboflavin. Synthetic riboflavin. and this puts a strain on your kidneys to eliminate these harmful synthetics made from coal tar.

I have found a truely whole food B complex. Max Stress B and I got it from phpure.

I'm now trying to understand calcium a little better......
mshouleruk

Post by mshouleruk »

The presence of bright yellow urine after taking a vitamin B supplement is not a sign that they are all being flushed away. Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2) causes urine to turn a florescent yellow color. The B's are still being absorbed, the colour is simply a by-product of riboflavin metabolism.

The thing to understand about choosing a high quality B vitamin supplement is that most on the market are inactive and have to converted by the liver into there active forms.
Activated simply means that the B vitamins are in their active form. Most vitamin B supplement products contain only the inactive forms. Inactive B vitamins require conversion by the liver so they can be absorbed and utilized. But because your liver can only convert them so fast, they are quickly eliminated from your body before offering much benefit.
From my research one of the best ones out there that is 100% activated is:

http://www.iherb.com/Premier-Research-L ... 23344?at=0

http://www.msreversed.com/BVitamins.html
Filmmaker
Family Elder

High doses of niacinamide for nerve repair

Post by Filmmaker »

Hi
I was wondering if anyone has tryed to take high doses of nicinamide for nerve repair, it seems to work great but needs to be 3000mg/day I think...
Any feedback?
L
Family Elder

Post by L »

So I take it that you've been taking high doses and you believe that you've experienced recovery, axons recovering?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i have used niacin, not niacinamide. to induce niacin flush per the klenner protocol. you probably have noticed no flush with the niacinamide.

i viewed it as a means to deliver extra nutrients in quick blasts. from the ccsvi angle it's a vasodilator.

i don't think i've taken more than say 100mg at a time before. it's been a few years since i did a niacin flush so it's hard to recall..

niacin is seen as an effective alternative to the statin group of cholesterol drugs that some use for their ms.

high doses in the long term carry a risk of liver damage, so keeping an eye on the usual liver enzyme levels like AST, ALT - couldn't hurt.

hth!
jimmylegs
Filmmaker
Family Elder

Post by Filmmaker »

JM, niacinamide is different from niacin, nicain is a form of B3 wheareas niacinamide is a form of B1 I think, and niacin flush does nothing for nerve damage...
I have started taking niacinamide few days ago so I can't ell any difference yet, that is why I am asking for feedback here...