herbals

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jackD
Family Elder

Vinpoce

Post by jackD »

Check out VINPOCETINE and other phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitors.

They (phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitors) are noted for "helping cure MS" in a variety of ways.

Do a SEARCH IN Pubmed on Vinpocetine and potassium channel.

I take three 10 mg pills each day of VINPOCETINE.

I would post it here but no one would understand it except you and maybe me.

jackD
yigalby
Getting to Know You...

Re: GLA is not Linoleic acid

Post by yigalby »

NHE wrote:
yigalby wrote:i work with evening primrose oil (EPO) for the last 4 years.
it work so good in many conditions (cholesterol, baldnessanxiety, pms, acne, skin problems..).
i use fresh flower and leaves soaked in olive oil.
the leaves is BtW acording to dr duke is the best source of natural quercetin.
and its known by some herbalist here to help with MS
Whole green tea also contains quercitin which is not surprising as it is structurally related to epicatechin. Though, I do not yet know the amount of quercitin present in green tea.

NHE
you can use this guide by dr duke

http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/

or
http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xs ... =QUERCETIN

his guide is not full ,but very close to it
CuriousRobot
Family Elder

Post by CuriousRobot »

jimmylegs wrote:from world's healthiest foods site:
In the body, linoleic acid is first converted to another omega-6 fat called gamma-linolenic acid, which is also found in evening primrose oil and borage oil.
How effective is the conversion though? The alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) in flax seed oil, for example, can be synthesized into EPA and DHA, yet it is at such a small amount that it does not warrant being used as a supplement for Omega-3 fats.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: GLA is not Linoleic acid

Post by NHE »

yigalby wrote:you can use this guide by dr duke

http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/
That looks like a useful database. Thanks!

NHE
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Hi sharon,
Welcome to This is MS. I and others posted lots on capsaicin and other herbs prior to the sensational impact of Professor Zamboni's CCSVI research. I continue to use capsaicin which I still find helps reduce spasticity (with at least 2grams) and helps my sluggish bowel. Indeed apart from angio my only treatment remains the herbs curcumin, salvia miltiorrhiza, capsaicin (is chilli really a herb?) and vitamin d. Pubmed is the source for all of my research:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

I hope the site proves helpful.
Alex
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
elyse_peace
Family Elder

Post by elyse_peace »

hello.
vinpocetine also crosses the bbb, and brings oxygen into the small capillaries in the brain.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Sheepishly, I admit to watching The Doctor Oz Show again. Today one portion of the show featured Dr. Bryce Wylde, a doctor of homeopathic medicine from Toronto. One of the herbal treatments he described was Vinpocetine. He suggested it as a memory booster. I thought you might find this video interesting for the information about how it seems selectively to dilate the blood vessels of the brain; it begins about 3:25.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/herbal-healers

At the end of the program, Dr. Oz suggested 5-10 mg 2X per day.
jackD
Family Elder

Post by jackD »

If we add some PYCNOGENOL (pine bark extract) to this supplement diet we can also cure the "chronic venous insufficiency" probem of the MS brain.

This is a TOTAL cure for the circulation problems of the brain (Artery & Veins).

jackD

Phytomedicine. 2010 Sep;17(11):835-9. Epub 2010 Jun 25.

Improvement of signs and symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency and microangiopathy with Pycnogenol: a prospective, controlled study.

Cesarone MR, Belcaro G, Rohdewald P, Pellegrini L, Ledda A, Vinciguerra G, Ricci A, Ippolito E, Fano F, Dugall M, Cacchio M, Di Renzo A, Hosoi M, Stuard S, Corsi M.

Department of Biomedical Sciences, G D'Annunzio, Chieti-Pescara University, Faculty of Motory Sciences, L'Aquila University, Italy.

Abstract
The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical efficacy of standardized French maritime pine bark extract Pycnogenol in patients with severe chronic venous insufficiency (CVI).

98 subjects with symptomatic CVI and edema were randomly assigned to one group treated with 150 mg Pycnogenol a day only, another group with stockings only and a third group with both Pycnogenol and elastic stockings. The average ambulatory venous pressure (AVP) at inclusion was 58+/-7 mm Hg (range 48-60 mm Hg) with a refilling time (RT)<12 s (average 7+/-2 s). The duration of the disease was on average 6.0+/-3.1 years. There were no differences in AVP or RT among the 3 groups at inclusion and microcirculatory and clinical evaluations were comparable. After 8 weeks treatment there was a significant decrease of rate of ankle swelling, resting flux, transcutaneous pO(2) and clinical symptom scores in all groups with significantly better results for the combination treatment.

Pycnogenol alone was more effective than compression alone for all parameters (p<0.05). No side-effects were observed; compliance and tolerability were very good. This study corroborates a significant clinical role for Pycnogenol in the management, treatment and control of CVI also in combination with compression.

Copyright 2010 Elsevier GmbH. All rights reserved.
PMID: 20579863 [PubMed - in process]
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Does anyone know why EGCG caps spike my BP through the roof?

Post by euphoniaa »

It's starting to piss me off. My blood pressure went up like this the last time I tried taking it, too. As much as I'd like to throw good supplements at my MS along with healthy diet and exercise, my reactions to some of them have been horrifying and worse than anything I've experienced due to MS (grumble, grumble). Flax seed oil REALLY sucks (along with most omega 3s).

Still not as scary as taking MS meds, however. :)

Any comments? Thx.
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

weird e, from everything i can see it looks like ecgc should normalize blood pressure. what does it go up to?
what does flax oil do to you? also have you tried just eating flax seeds? i have sprouted grain bread with flax. also a container of whole seeds that i can sprinkle onto other stuff like granola w fruit and yogurt, or a green salad.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ikulo
Family Elder

Post by ikulo »

Are you taking a pure EGCG supplement, or are you taking a Green Tea extract supplement that contains EGCG? The latter may contain caffeine. That's all I can think of.

Regarding Flax - remember to grind your flax seeds or you may not absorb all the nutritious deliciousness. I put mine on oatmeal in the morning - nom nom nom...

The mean relative bioavailability of enterolignans from whole compared with ground flaxseed was 28% (P < or = 0.01), whereas that of crushed compared with ground flaxseed was 43% (P < or = 0.01). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16317125p
euphoniaa
Volunteer Moderator

Post by euphoniaa »

jimmylegs wrote:weird e, from everything i can see it looks like ecgc should normalize blood pressure. what does it go up to?
what does flax oil do to you?
Thanks, guys.

Jimmy, I'm not really sure how high it goes up, because my home BP machine gives me an error message a time or two before it will even register - something that was rare before the EGCG. Yesterday when it DID finally register it was 152/100. And I've even been taking a tad bit more of my BP med than before.

Ikulo, my EGCG is called Green Tea Complex from GNC. I thought by using the supplement it would avoid the caffeine jolt of tea itself, and caffeine isn't noted on the label. Dunno.

As for the flax seed oil, it's been awhile, so I don't remember precisely what version I was taking. (Heads up - long, barely believable story coming) A few years ago my ophthalmologist dx'd me with Dry Eye Syndrome, jammed plugs into my tear ducts (could only force it into one of them), gave me Restasis eye drops, and insisted I take flax seed oil.

Within a few days I developed this throbbing nerve pain in all my fingertips (the area ABOVE the first joint, not the joint itself) that even had me in tears typing at work. Unlike my one-sided MS stuff, I assumed it was yet another system-wide effect from something I'd swallowed, so I adjusted everything I could think of - meds, Restasis, foods, no change - for 3 months.

It got so bad I was sliding padded metal splints onto all my fingers at night (picture Edward Scissorhands) so touching blankets wouldn't set off the pain. I decided that nothing could possibly hurt that bad but "hand cancer", but was unsuccessful in researching for that. My ophtho shook his head and suggested that I close my eyes for 5 min after putting in the Restasis, even tho it didn't seem to be the culprit. No change.

Then I looked to my supplements and stopped the flax entirely. The pain was gone in 2 days, never to return, and I had never had it before that time.

I'm also allergic to shellfish and walnuts.

Thanks. Any other EGCG input?
Dx'd with MS & HNPP (hereditary peripheral neuropathy) 7/03 but must have had MS for 30 yrs before that. I've never taken meds for MS except 1 yr experiment on LDN. (I found diet, exercise, sleep, humor, music help me the most.)
jtryon

Looking for a Medical Marijuana User in Canada

Post by jtryon »

Hello,
My name is Jennifer Tryon, I'm the health reporter for Global National News based in Toronto. I'm looking to interview someone in Canada who has tried or is currently using marijuana (legally or not) to ease their MS symptoms.
I can be reached at Jennifer.tryon@globalnews.ca
thanks
MSUK
Family Elder

Medical marijuana may not be good for MS patients - study

Post by MSUK »

Although medical marijuana has been legalized in many U.S. states, people with multiple sclerosis should think twice before they start using the drug routinely, researchers say.

In a small study published Monday, they found people with the nerve-damaging autoimmune disease did worse on a number of psychological tests if they were heavy marijuana smokers.

"In multiple sclerosis, you already have a group of patients who are cognitively impaired," said Dr. Anthony Feinstein, who led the new work. "When you add marijuana to the mix, you might worsen those problems." ... Read More - http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuseact ... ageid/1815
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
HarryZ
Family Elder

Re: Medical marijuana may not be good for MS patients - stud

Post by HarryZ »

Here in London ON Canada, they have been prescribing medical MJ for 10 years.

The Pain Clinic has run trials with MJ to compare the side effects of MJ compared to other conventional pain medications. Don't know what the results were but they are still prescribing the MJ. It's availability is very controlled. The neurologist at the pain clinic told me 6 years ago that they know MJ does indeed work for many patients. In many cases, the patent does not have to smoke the MJ but it can also be combined in food to obtain the same results.

Harry

Return to “Natural Approach”