herbals

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

You will care if you are caught with it and charged with posession.
It's worth the risk, who knows when this drug which helps so many will be ok to have but for now i am not going to wait for others to decide on the quality of my life.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

robbie wrote: It's worth the risk, who knows when this drug which helps so many will be ok to have but for now i am not going to wait for others to decide on the quality of my life.
Things are pretty goofed up when someone purposely overdoses on drugs and they are given counseling and sympathy, yet when someone has a debilitating and painful disease and possesses and smokes pot for relief and they are arrested?

Leak that case to the press and see how quickly the prosecutor drops the charges.
Loobie wrote: I am sure as well that there are different types w/different effects. There is stupid weed, happy weed, and many other types that seem to push forward a "primary effect".
I'd have to think that as a chemical the effect of THC would be consistant and that the variance in the different types of pot would be in the potency, the amount of THC. When/if this thing ever really does become medicinal it seems the goal would be to refine it to the highest degree possible, as they have medicinal grade grain alcohol, or in this case really high grade hash oil.

Bob
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

I believe that there are differences which come from other substances besides the THC. There are lots of different strains like cannibas sativa and cannabis Indica that are not just different in the amount of THC. They smell different, and they really do make you feel different. I may be wrong in what makes it feel different, but I do know there are different strains of MJ and in my experience you can get a different effect. I'm going to do some research on this and try and find out because I am curious as well.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Loobie wrote:I'm going to do some research on this and try and find out because I am curious as well.
Of course your study results are open to peer review and I'm going to have to do a little research of my own! :lol:
Bob
phred421
Getting to Know You...

high all :)

Post by phred421 »

u guys r making me laugh too much hehe. i just wanted to post a note here about something i stumbled across months back. I originally read this on yahoo but this link is from NPR's web site. my puter is crappy and i cant get the link to play so i hope it still works.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6353985

in the article i read Prof. Wenk went on to say that marijuana is the best known anti-inflammatory drug with the capacity to penetrate the BBB.

My summation was this, "i may not be able to remember my own name right now...but i'll still know who i am in 50 yrs LOL.

Loobie: I'm from ohio and i miss that possession law. living in fla now, a "drug gateway" state the law says that more than 5g can be a felony!

Fred
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Thanks Fred. Interesting audio file and the link works fine!
Bob
Loobie
Family Elder

Post by Loobie »

That could be why I am great at trivia but don't remember what I went to the grocery store for. That is the ONLY time I love my cell phone!

Phred,
What part of the buckeye state are you from? I love that possession law too. I've never been caught in my life, but I'd love to only get a traffic ticket if I did. I work for a well known stamper in Dayton, and if it were a misdeanor it would make it to the paper and the owner of my company would find out and fire me on the spot.

5g of pot could be a felony? Man that's harsh for such a victemless crime. There are those that could do the six degrees of seperation thing with pot on the victimless part, but I could do that with oil too, so don't go there....It's like Robbie said earlier, it comes down to quality of life. Come spend a day with me when I piss 50 times, can't crap, can't walk right, get worn out going up one flight of stairs and have varying degrees of blindness all day and then tell me if you care about weed being legal when it genuinely helps out a few of those symptoms. Legalization will not take the person down the street who doesn't smoke and make them all of a sudden start smoking pot. It's all about politics like everything else, so why bother with buying into everything the government is selling?

Who knows, maybe I just try and justify it, but I don't even feel a shred of guilt anymore like I used to for using something that improves my quality of life.
phred421
Getting to Know You...

Post by phred421 »

loobie,
long story short i grew up in cleveland till i was 18 then went to school out of state for a year before coming back to columbus and osu. actually, lol, i hated osu. never shoulda transfered and i prolly finish. i dropped out after a year and a half (took a quarter off 12 years ago...lol) so i stayed in columbus till 2004 when i moved down here to fla. (just in time to exp 4 hurricanes that summer lol) even though u can get in a lot more trouble for it down here i was happy to find the cost was less than half hehe. are u actually in dayton or maybe the suburb part? our upstairs neighbors here in fla (we in apts) just moved here from near beavertown. small world :)

I do have a question based on my own thoughts on the topic though. i was wondering if you all think there is a difference in your benefits between regualr type stuff and the high end type stuff. Main reason i ask is due to the THC levels between the two as the high end is usually 3-4x the amount. in other words i wonder if the ingredient that is helping is not based on potency. (which would certainly open door to medical uses more i think)

Fred
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Law requires New Mexico to grow its own pot
Updated Sun. Jul. 1 2007 2:15 PM ET

Associated Press

New Mexico has a new medical marijuana law with a twist: It requires the state to grow its own.

The law, effective Sunday, not only protects medical marijuana users from prosecution -- as 11 other states do -- but requires New Mexico to oversee a production and distribution system for the drug.

"The long-term goal is that the patients will have a safe, secure supply that doesn't mean drug dealers, that doesn't mean growing their own," said Reena Szczepanski, director of Drug Policy Alliance New Mexico.

The state Department of Health must issue rules by Oct. 1 for the licensing of marijuana producers and in-state, secured facilities, and for developing a distribution system.

The law was passed in March and signed by Gov. Bill Richardson, who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Other states with medical marijuana laws are Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington. Maryland's law doesn't protect patients from arrest, but it keeps defendants out of jail if they can convince judges they needed marijuana for medical reasons.

Connecticut's governor vetoed a medical marijuana bill recently.

The distribution and use of marijuana are illegal under federal law, and the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2005 in a California case that medical marijuana users can be prosecuted.

Faced with that dilemma, the health department has asked state Attorney General Gary King whether its employees could be federally prosecuted for running the medical marijuana registry and identification card program, and whether the agency can license marijuana producers and facilities.

"The production part is unprecedented. ... No other state law does that," said Dr. Steve Jenison, who is running the program for the health department. "So we're trying to be very thoughtful in how we proceed."

In the meantime, however, patients must obtain their own supplies.

The state will immediately begin taking applications from patients whose doctors certify they are eligible for the program.

Within weeks, approved patients -- or their approved primary caregivers -- would receive temporary certificates allowing them to possess up to six ounces of marijuana, four mature plants and three immature seedlings. That's enough for three months, the department says.

The law allows the use of marijuana for specified conditions including cancer, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy and HIV-AIDS, as well as by some patients in hospice care.

An eight-member advisory board of doctors could recommend that other conditions be added to the list.

Martin Walker was diagnosed four years ago as HIV positive and uses marijuana to combat nausea and depression. He said he looks forward to being able to obtain the drug legally.

"If there's a system in place that's going to allow me to do this treatment without having to break the law ... I'll just be able to sleep better at night," said Walker, who runs HIV prevention and other outdoor-based adult health programs for the Santa Fe Mountain Center.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
missvicki
Family Member

Post by missvicki »

I live in a state where medical mj is legal. Any pointers on how to approach my neurologist with rx request? Yes, I have tried it and yes it helps with my pain, stress and helps me sleep! :)
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Hi missvicki, wish i could help you but being in Canada it's probably different. Can you get the forms needed to apply before you see your neuro? The fact that you use mj for your symptoms already and have been for a while will help. He or she may ask what you have tried for your symptoms as far as regular pharamacuticles and if they help you at all. I think that the length of time you have been with your neuro and how good you can talk to him or her might matter.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
dignan
Family Elder

Studying India's herbal medicines

Post by dignan »

Good project in India...

The Economist - The Golden Triangle Partnership is not, however, looking for new molecules to turn into chemically pure drugs. Instead, it proposes to make herbal medicine itself more scientific by conducting clinical trials of traditional treatments for more than 20 medical conditions. These include arthritis, diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, malaria and psoriasis.

To do that means getting the country's drug companies to take part in what is, for them, the non-traditional activity of traditional medicine. One of these firms, Ranbaxy, has already opened a small research and development division for herbal medicine and is beginning to look at remedies for conditions such as diabetes.

for the rest of the article:

http://www.economist.com/science/displa ... id=9644701
renrank

Holistic (ayurvedic) doctor

Post by renrank »

I have been working with a holistic doctor and a holistic health counselor since April 2007. This doctor is absolutely amazing. She trained under Deepak Chopra. She uses magnet kinesiology and muscle reflexology to determine which parts of your body require attention. She prescribes herbal remedies, teas, and cremes, all imported from India, to help your body regain its intelligence. It is an absolutely fascinating field, and I have benefitted like crazy. In addition to feeling great MS-wise, I have dropped about 30 pounds and I'm still losing and feeling better than ever. Ayurveda is the oldest form of medicine known to man, and has been practiced in India for thousands of years. I would never give up conventional MS treatment (I'm on Ty) but there is no reason that these 2 schools of thought can't work together! I'm happy to pass info along if you're in NY/NJ/Philly area!
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

How abut starting on the treatment you are on? ie supplements etc
thanks.
renrank

Post by renrank »

The treatment for each individual would be different since she uses pulse points, muscle reflexology and magnet kinesiology. I am on sever different herbs, all by Vaidya Mishra's Optimum Intelligence, including Prakrit, Apana Agni Balance, Wild Amla, Regenerve, and Trenev Trio. I also drink a tea several times a week which includes Immuno Correct, Devil's Apple, Bacopa, and Tulsi leaves. I am currently using topical cremes which are DGL and Brahmi creme. I use liver clay a few times a week, but that is only temporary. I have been doing coconut oil massages which help to remove toxins from the surface of your skin, and also give you healthy oils direcly into your body. I have incorporated fresh cilantro wherever I can, I use ghee to cook with, along with Tumeric. I am eating whole grains such as barley, millet, and quinoa in place of any wheat products. I am also eating dark, leafy greens such as collards and kale. It is alos important to incorporate whole milk into the diet... best to use the unhomogenized one from whol foods, but organic, from grass fed cows is an ok substitution. Like I said, everyone has a program specific to his or her own needs. Hope this helps.

Return to “Natural Approach”