uric acid

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Inosine

Post by jimmylegs »

some do. i never managed to find a bottle, before i realized i didn't actually need it to normalize my low uric acid levels.

inosine does not fix the ms patient's broken urea cycle. it just adds a uric acid precursor that your body is supposed to be coming up with on its own.

zinc does apparently fix that broken urea cycle. adequate zinc supplies are required to, among other things, help your body properly convert ammonia byproducts of food digestion to urea and from there to uric acid (the urea cycle).

zinc does many many other jobs in your body. inosine is not so fundamental nor so versatile...

hth
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

I take 500mg most days which gives a comparative purine intake equivalent to about '150 grams of sardines'.

If I feel symptoms coming on I increase daily intake to about 1500mg to increase the neuro protective effects of uric acid. Inosine supplements raise uric acid levels very quickly. However like JL says - appropriate zinc levels is the key.

Appears to help without any apparent side effects (gout).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

even though i never found an inosine supplement, for years i ate high purine foods with no improvement to my uric acid levels. probably just made my ammonia levels really high (wish i had known at the time to ask for that test). everything resolved speedily once i found and fixed the zinc deficiency. i wonder if there are any ms patients who have optimal zinc and still low uric acid. i lean towards doubting that...
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

I get my inosine from these people

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/

Here is a link to various studies about Inosine / Uric acid. Its somewhere in that lot but clearly oral inosine increases uric acid levels rather quickly. My feeling is that if an attack is coming on a big increase in uric acid may mitigate any damage. Quick and easy way is to start popping the inosine caps as there are only so many sardines / chicken liver one can get through.

http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=ht ... 6+00:12:14
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

did i see in your regimen that you're on 15mg zinc per day? or is there more once you factor in a multi.. or was that someone else hehe i can't keep track!

inosine does increase uric acid levels quickly, but it is not involved in as many different problems typical for ms patients than zinc is!
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Hi

There is 15mg in my multi. I also take 15mg on most days but am not religious about it so I occasionally miss a day or two. If I am working away from home for 3-5 days I just make do with the zinc in the multi.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ouch! do you know there was one study where they were looking at a completely different disease circumstance, but they put patients on a 60mg/d regimen for 4 months plus! i want to see what that did to the serum levels. the point of the study was to apply zinc's anti-proliferative action, and the end result was that a lot of plantar warts went away. who knew :)
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

jimmylegs wrote:ouch! do you know there was one study where they were looking at a completely different disease circumstance, but they put patients on a 60mg/d regimen for 4 months plus! i want to see what that did to the serum levels. the point of the study was to apply zinc's anti-proliferative action, and the end result was that a lot of plantar warts went away. who knew :)

I would be worried about interference with copper and iron uptake at those sort of levels
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yeah no kidding.
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

You have no doubt answered this 100 times before but what would you say is the optimal daily zinc intake.

It would appear to me that Inosine allows someone to increase uric acid levels without the issue of copper / iron uptake interruption?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi mrb, the short answer is, it's different for everyone.

bloodwork to get baseline info and monitoring over time would be ideal.

optimal daily supplemental intake depends on:

-baseline serum level (obviously ppl who are deficient need more)
-typical daily dietary intake (eg eating red meat or no?)
-individual zinc demand (for example people who eat gluten need more zinc to maintain healthy levels, smoke contains cadmium which is very similar to zinc and therefore interferes with absorption so smokers need more, and i don't know exactly how but alcohol drains a lot of nutrients and zinc is one of them).

you want your serum zinc level to be close to 18.2 umol/L and serum uric acid around 290-300 (i forget the units).

the 'best bet' recommendations for daily supplemental zinc are, if i recall correctly, on the order of 25-50mg per day.

hth!
mrbarlow
Family Elder

Post by mrbarlow »

Hi JL

Thanks for that. Bloodwork means going to company doctor (unless I go private) and Id rather keep my head fairly low.

Basically I'm a non smoker. I eat poultry and fish mainly with red meat 1-2 times per week. My consumption of wheat is very low.

I think I will stick with what I am doing - 15mg in the MV and a 15mg EOD. Previously my serum uric acid has been about midway in the reference range (haven't got the paperwork to hand) in the two tests I have had.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

sounds pretty good diet and lifestyle wise.

when i first heard UA was low in ms patients i got tested and my level came back 194. normal range 140-360. so i was consoled at first. then i realized that ms patients averaged 194! and that healthy controls were 290-300.

i ate gout inducing foods for years and i couldn't budge my level off that 194, except when it went down to 188 >:P

but the zinc supplementation worked wonders. my level had been extremely low. my uric acid level went up in step with my increasing serum zinc levels. it was great :D
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I have been a big consumer of Inosine for a number of years. I do not remember my numbers, but I do remember that when first checked, they were below the healthy range given by the Lab. Since taking Inosine, my levels have been in the upper, to just over the "healthy range". I don't think I have gout.

I currently take two of these in the morning and two at night (yeah I know, it's high!):
http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Ul ... /1435?at=0
Apart from 1g of inosine, its got some other goodies like Octacosanol
jackD
Family Elder

Re: Apples increase serum antioxidant status via uric acid

Post by jackD »

Flavonoids are nice. Some can protect myelin.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jdalton/Flavonoids%20MS.pdf

jackD

Here is a database of Flavonoids in some foods.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jdalton/flav.pdf