uric acid

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Just for your info wife's UA is in the upper normal level 5,8 (females 1.9-7) after one month with 2x1gr inosine supplementation!
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Just realised that Inosine from Source Naturals we all use has gluten/wheat in it's synthesis!
When I ordered 6 bottles I carefully read the ingredients and they didn't mention about gluten but this
Source Naturals Inosine is suitable for vegetarians. Contains no yeast, dairy, egg, gluten, soy or wheat. Contains no sugar, starch, salt, preservatives, or artificial color, flavor or fragrance.

It's the second time I buy Source Naturals products and although they say the opposite they contain gluten, completely unreliable company in my humble opinion...
schnittke
Family Member

Post by schnittke »

Yep. I realiazed the same thing and switched over to another brand.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

schnittke wrote:Yep. I realiazed the same thing and switched over to another brand.
l already bought 6 bottles, what to do with them, a soup? :roll:
Cheerleader are yours those with gluten?
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Yeah, Dimitris...
I have Source Naturals Inosine, and had read the wheat/gluten in bold letters, but the opposing info on the same label. Looks like the "suitable for vegetarians" label is generic for all their products, and the wheat/gluten labeling is specific to the inosine. Pretty lame. I've continued to use it, since I couldn't find another source, and Jeff isn't wheat/gluten intolerant.

Maybe make a complaint?? Maybe they could produce this product without the wheat and gluten.
www.sourcenaturals.com

best,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Frank
Family Elder

Vitamin C reduces uric acid

Post by Frank »

This one might be interesting for inosine users and those interested in keeping up their uric acid levels:

--Frank

http://www.physorg.com/news155848861.html
Treatment: Gilenya since 01/2011, CCSVI both IJV ballooned 09/2010, Tysabri stopped after 24 Infusions and positive JCV antibody test, after LDN, ABX Wheldon Regime for 1 year.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

and i *think* zinc boosts uric acid. certainly research has shown zinc depletion makes uric acid levels drop. so you'd think it works the other way around too. i will let you know in may or so. got a doc's appt coming up in april, will request some more bloodwork.
JL
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hello, it does work the other way around and i posted the research in the ms, zinc, uric acid, boys, girls, controls, etc etc etc thread that's out in general discussion.
i started out around dx time at 194 umol/L UA, tried to eat a lot of purine-rich foods, didn't help (possibly too much vit C as well?).
i ended up at 188 next test!
then ordered a zinc test at the same time as a UA test
that was 194 on the UA again, and 8.6 umol/L on the zinc. (cutoff for deficiency is 11.5, healthy controls 18.2)
supplemented zinc last year and on followup was up to 20, a bit high.
since then did the reading on zinc and UA, connected the dots..
latest bloodwork from this month is coming in, and so far the UA result is up to 255! still waiting on the zinc numbers for the last visit.
300 is the UA happy place :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

turns out the zinc was only up to 11.6 from 8.6, and the uric acid had still jumped from 194 the MS average, to 255. i've upped my daily zinc, and i'm not stoppin til my uric acid is the sweet sweet 290 of healthy controls!
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

cranberries also help increase uric acid...my doc told me to drink/take cranberries to avoid UT infections which higher uric acid levels thwart.
seeva
Family Elder

re: URIC ACID AND M.S

Post by seeva »

The long standing observations is that Uric Acid levels in MS patients is a lot lower that the general population. In fact a 2006 study of 2 Million patient records indicated that people with Gout (i.e. high uric acid levels) had virtually no suffers of MS. So Doctors assumed there was a protective element to Uric Acid – which is a naturally occurring anti-oxidant but they didn’t know how. A more recent study has shown that Uric Acid reduces ferritin iron in the blood stream (see attached medical journal article). Download file 653full.Pdf from www.jbc.org

So this lends a lot of corroborative credence that iron is the culprit. People with gout have too much uric acid for the iron to build up in the first place – probably explains my unusually low iron count too!

All that said, there’s no firm corroboration yet that all MS patients have the blockage. But hopefully time will tell.

With any luck this is the year when MS gets solved. Fingers crossed.

Kind regards

Seeva
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

three pages of discussion on uric acid and ms. not a huge read:
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-5486.html
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Apples increase serum antioxidant status via uric acid

Post by NHE »

Eating apples, and other fruit, can raise serum antioxidant levels. Interestingly, this occurs not as a result of the polyphenol content of the fruit, but by raising serum uric acid levels as a result of fructose metabolism.

Why Apples are Healthful Silvina Lotito, Ph.D. LPI Research Associate
Summary: Apples and other fruit are considered to be healthy, in part due to the antioxidant flavonoids they contain. However, these flavonoids are poorly absorbed into the bloodstream. We found that the consumption of apples by volunteers resulted in a large increase in the antioxidant capacity of their plasma, indicating that something other than flavonoids may be responsible. Our further investigations showed that fructose, a fruit sugar, in apples stimulated the production of uric acid in the body, which provided the plasma antioxidant capacity.
Consumption of flavonoid-rich foods and increased plasma antioxidant capacity in humans: cause, consequence, or epiphenomenon?
Free Radic Biol Med. 2006 Dec 15; 41(12):1727-46
  • Increased fruit and vegetable consumption is associated with a decreased incidence of cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and other chronic diseases. The beneficial health effects of fruits and vegetables have been attributed, in part, to antioxidant flavonoids present in these foods. Large, transient increases in the total antioxidant capacity of plasma have often been observed after the consumption of flavonoid-rich foods by humans. These observations led to the hypothesis that dietary flavonoids play a significant role as antioxidants in vivo, thereby reducing chronic disease risk. This notion, however, has been challenged recently by studies on the bioavailability of flavonoids, which indicate that they reach only very low concentrations in human plasma after the consumption of flavonoid-rich foods. In addition, most flavonoids are extensively metabolized in vivo, which can affect their antioxidant capacity. Furthermore, fruits and vegetables contain many macro- and micronutrients, in addition to flavonoids, that may directly or through their metabolism affect the total antioxidant capacity of plasma. In this article, we critically review the published research in this field with the goal to assess the contribution of dietary flavonoids to the total antioxidant capacity of plasma in humans. We conclude that the large increase in plasma total antioxidant capacity observed after the consumption of flavonoid-rich foods is not caused by the flavonoids themselves, but is likely the consequence of increased uric acid levels.
NHE
ikulo
Family Elder

Post by ikulo »

Thanks for posting NHE, it's an interesting read. I've read some studies lately that point to poor absorption of some phytonutrients such as flavonoids. It's good to know that they still have a positive effect in other ways.
ssmme
Family Elder

Inosine

Post by ssmme »

Have/do any of you take inosine?
Marcia