Re: Antibiotics vs good bacteria of the stomach

Post by Sunnee »

candida/leaky gut also causes vitamin deficiency that maybe your reason to

Sunnee
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

replenishing beneficial probiotics after abx is very important.

also: a low serum zinc level, such as is often seen in ms patients, provides the right environment for candida overgrowth.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Sunnee
Family Member

Re: Systemic Candidiasis

Post by Sunnee »

Jimmy,

http://www.arltma.com/CandidaDoc.htm

you should really research it as it makes sense stress,atibiotics and poor diet can cause it plus in some cases the contraceptive pill I think
Sunnee
Family Member

Post by Sunnee »

Jimmy,

http://www.arltma.com/CandidaDoc.htm

it does mention about zinc at the bottom of article, but not one of the main players.
people need to know it exists, i've had it so i know it does, i'll let others make up their own minds.

Sunnee
Last edited by Sunnee on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i think what it is is that you can have one or more things in place that could contribute to candida issues, zinc is an easy go-to fix, but if you don't remove the conditions for overgrowth of candida, then you would get the long term additional effects of poor nutrient absorption, taking the situation from bad to worse.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

heya, i went through all the research in 2006. candida is opportunistic, and while a chronic neglected infection can certainly cause problems, overgrowth will only occur given the right conditions. if you correct those conditions, the candida issue resolves. it's what my health care people told me originally, i didn't believe it, 5 years later i know they were right. i figured out what was wrong with my system, fixed it, no more infection findings. yay!
Sunnee
Family Member

Post by Sunnee »

Jimmy,

We will just have to agree to disagree, 5 years is a long time,

Sunnee
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

so be it :) do you know if your zinc is low? if it is why not fix it and see if candida is still a problem? zinc is an easy go-to - ms patients tend to be low, as i was. i used to get positive candida test results. then i fixed my zinc, no more issues, no more positive test results. candida diets also tend to be ones that allow your body to use less zinc from dietary sources, so that your serum levels have an opportunity to rise. it's all out there published science, not an opinion piece. good luck!
Sunnee
Family Member

Post by Sunnee »

Hi!

I dealt Candida back in March,

I'm good 2 go now, Thanx anyway.

Sunnee
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

good job!
Sunnee
Family Member

Post by Sunnee »

Jimmy,

I know that you have given many people some excellent advice on vitamins, which have had some good and pleasing results, but if there is the possibility that Candida is the reason for that deficiency that too would be excellent news.

And that why I have shamelessly bumped this post up by keep replying to your posts, I think it is that important that people are made aware of it, because the medical profession are keeping it from being public knowledge and that is wrong.

Sorry to have taken advantage of the situation, but it was done with the best of intentions. Sorry again

Sunnee
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i agree sunnee, if people address the common deficiencies seen in ms, and thereby rid themselves of even the potential for candida overgrowth, they eliminate the risk of driving down important nutrient levels even further via chronic candida infection. very important!
Sunnee
Family Member

Re: Candida is important read

Post by Sunnee »

Candida-leaky gut syndrome-antibiotics kill off the good bacteria that we need in our guts to deal with the bad bacteria. it also causes vitamin deficiency. This is all very relevant.

This is not about vaginal thrush this is way different.

Sunnee
fee002
Family Member

leaky gut syndrome - Candidiasis

Post by fee002 »

Candidiasis

Summary

Candidiasis is a fungal infection produced by a species of Candida Fungi, particularly Candida Albicans. Candida fungi normally reside harmlessly in various parts of the body.

If the healthy bacteria in the digestive tract becomes seriously depleted the candida proliferate and can produce root like structures which damage the villi along the intestinal tract leading to a 'leaky gut'.

There are many causes of candidiasis cited, such as: repeated antibiotic use, poor diet, steroid medications, birth control pills, malnutrition, cytotoxic drugs.

Symptoms of candidiasis include: chronic fatigue, depression, yeast infections, bloating, joint or muscle pain, genital itching, hyperactivity, athletes foot, hair loss.

Candidiasis is a fungal infection produced by a species of Candida Fungi, especially Candida Albicans. Candida fungi are found in many places in the environment and some reside harmlessly with the other bacteria residing in the mouth, gastrointestinal tract and genitourinary tract. [1]. In a normal healthy person the immune system and the beneficial bacteria prevent the overgrowth of candida. One of the purposes of Candida Albicans in our digestive tract is to recognise and alleviate harmful bacteria. A healthy person can have millions of Candida Albicans.[2]

If the healthy bacteria in the digestive tract is reduced by antiobiotics, pesticides, chlorine or if the person's immune system has been weakened by illness (particularly by AIDs or diabetes) malnutrition or certain medications (such as corticosteroids or anti cancer drugs) the candida fungi can dramatically increase in numbers causing numerous symptoms. Also poor diet, alcohol and incorrect pH in the digestive system can cause candida to proliferate and invade the body.

In it's normal yeast state candida is harmless but as a fungus it becomes invasive producing root like structures called rhizoids that can push through the mucous membranes or intestinal walls damaging the villi (finger like projections along the intestinal tract) and allowing undigested food particles, toxins and bacteria to move through the lining and enter the bloodstream resulting in leaky gut syndrome. Your antibodies attack the particles and wait for them to appear again ready for another attack when you eat the same foods. Then you end up with food intolerances and allergies as well as sensitivities to the environment. [3]. Candidiasis and Leaky Gut Syndrome often go hand in hand and left untreated can lead to advanced stages of disease.

Causes of Candidiasis

There are many causes of Candidiasis such as: repeated use of antibiotics, diet high in sugar /refined carbohydrates/processed foods, birth control pills, malnutrition, steroid medications, alcohol, cytotoxic drugs. Anything that compromises the immune system can result in the reduction of friendly bacteria in the intestines and allow Candida Albicans to proliferate.

Symptoms

Chronic fatigue, depression, yeast infections, abdominal bloating, constipation or diarrhoea, brain fog, poor memory, confusion, mood swings, chronic joint or muscle pain or weakness, allergies, hair loss, athlete's foot, recurring ear or sinus infections, nail ridges, nail fungus, flatulence, nasal congestion, indigestion/ heartburn, eczema, dark circles under eyes, bad breath, itchy scalp, constant coated tongue, skin fungus infections, genital itching, worse symptoms in damp, moldy or muggy places, sensitivities to environment, low blood sugar, carbohydrate, sugar or vinegar cravings, impotence, prostatitis, night sweats, persistent cough, hyperactivity, hyperthyroidism.

http://www.leakygut.co.uk/Candidiasis.htm
Sometimes we need to agree to disagree
freedom of speech and adult debate is so important for us to learn
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

a review: zinc, intestinal permeability (leaky gut) and cand

Post by jimmylegs »

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... ml#p181311
yes as previously discussed elsewhere, if you have a set of dietary/nutritional problems that are common in ms and can also allow a candida overgrowth to occur, it can definitely exacerbate the underlying problem via a positive feedback loop. personally i used to be both zinc deficient and had candida issues., both confirmed via lab testing. once i corrected poor nutritional status the conditions for potential candida overgrowth did not exist, no more zinc deficiency, and no more positive candida results.

A critical physiological role of zinc in the structure and function of biomembranes
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7017326
Abstract
"Of the large number of recognized zinc metalloenzymes, the activities of only a few are significantly decreased in severely zinc deficient animals. On the other hand, physiological pathology is manifested rapidly after dietary zinc deprivation. This shows that zinc exerts physiological and biochemical roles other than as a component of the known zinc metalloenzymes. The research results reviewed here suggest that zinc plays an important role in the maintenance of membrane structure and function."

Zinc Deficiency Induces Membrane Barrier Damage and Increases Neutrophil Transmigration in Caco-2 Cells
"Zinc may contribute to the host defense by maintaining the membrane barrier. In this study, we questioned whether zinc deficiency affects the membrane function and junctional structure of intestinal epithelial cells, causing increased neutrophil migration. We used the Caco-2 cell line grown in control (C), zinc-deficient, or zinc-replete medium until differentiation. Zinc deprivation induced a decrease of transepithelial electrical resistance and alterations to tight and adherens junctions, with delocalization of zonula occludens (ZO-1), occludin, β-catenin, and E-cadherin. Disorganization of F-actin and β-tubulin was also found in zinc deficiency. These changes were associated with a loss of the amounts of ZO-1, occluding, and β-tubulin. In addition, zinc deficiency caused a dephosphorylation of occludin and hyperphosphorylation of β-catenin and ZO-1. Disruption of membrane barrier integrity led to increased migration of neutrophils. In addition, zinc deficiency induced an increase in the secretion of interleukin-8, epithelial neutrophil activating peptide-78, and growth-regulated oncogene-α, alterations that were not found when culture medium was replete with zinc. These results provide new information on the critical role played by dietary zinc in the maintenance of membrane barrier integrity and in controlling inflammatory cell infiltration."

Zinc deficiency and immune function
http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10 ... 190.002215
"Zn deficiency in adult animals can result in abnormal immune function. Zn-deficient animals can show an increased susceptibility to a number of pathogens including Candida albicans, Francisella tularensis, Trypanosoma cruzi, and Trypanosoma"

The Dynamic Link between the Integrity of the Immune System and Zinc Status
http://jn.nutrition.org/content/130/5/1399S.short
"The results of more than three decades of work indicate that zinc deficiency rapidly diminishes antibody- and cell-mediated responses in both humans and animals. The moderate deficiencies in zinc noted in sickle cell anemia, renal disease, chronic gastrointestinal disorders and acrodermatitis enteropathica; subjects with human immunodeficiency virus; children with diarrhea; and elderly persons can greatly alter host defense systems, leading to increases in opportunistic infections and mortality rates. Conversely, short periods of zinc supplementation substantially improve immune defense in individuals with these diseases. Mouse models demonstrate that 30 d of suboptimal intake of zinc can lead to 30-80% losses in defense capacity. Collectively, the data clearly demonstrate that immune integrity is tightly linked to zinc status. Lymphopenia and thymic atrophy, which were the early hallmarks of zinc deficiency, are now known to be due to high losses of precursor T and B cells in the bone marrow. This ultimately leads to lymphopenia or a failure to replenish the lymphocytic system. Glucocorticoid-mediated apoptosis induced by zinc deficiency causes down-regulation of lymphopoiesis. Indeed, zinc itself can modulate death processes in precursor lymphocytes. Finally, there is substantial evidence that zinc supplementation may well reduce the impact of many of the aforementioned diseases by preventing the dismantling of the immune system. The latter represents an important area for research."

and, it's certainly well known although not universally communicated to patients by their docs, that antibiotics wipe out healthy microflora and a probiotic supplement is key. in australia at least, probiotics are commonly advertised on tv as a followup to any prescribed course of abx.