Curcumin really helps my spasticity!

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
Lainie
Family Member

Curcumin really helps my spasticity!

Post by Lainie »

First I should tell you that the spasticity in my legs is very disabling, and throughout the day but especially at night after dinner I often experience uncomfortable, almost painful muscle spasms/tremors.

I have been reading a lot about curcumin and MS (curcumin is present in the spice turmeric, usually used in Indian food). I ordered some, and yesterday my order of curcumin came in the mail, and I took my first tablet with dinner last night. Well, about an hour after I took the tablet, I felt my legs beginning to relax and "soften up" so to speak. No spasms, and while I sat on the couch watching TV, I was able to comfortably cross my legs.

I slept great overnight, and this morning when I woke I was easily able to get out of bed and use my cane to walk to the kitchen to make breakfast for my son. This is a big deal for me. Usually I have to stiffly drag myself out of bed, and lurch with stiff legs to the kitchen. I am on Baclofen, but it makes me so sleepy (even with Provigil) that I can only take 5mg at a time. But this morning I didn't take ANY Baclofen with breakfast, and I am able to bend my legs!

The only side-effects I have had have been a headache (but I'm not sure that is from the curcumin) and some intestinal discomfort (which went away with a couple of gas pills). All I can say when it comes to curcumin is: I'm a believer! I can't believe how much of my fatigue was caused by the effort of lurching around with my stiff legs! Now that I can move and bend my legs, I am noticeably less tired (although the fatigue is still there, of course).

I can't wait to take my next capsule! I am on Jarrow Formulas Curcumin 95 which I ordered from vitacost.com. This is just my experience, obviously you and your MS are different, but I figured I might as well post my story, in case it helps even one person.
Filmmaker
Family Elder

Post by Filmmaker »

Hey Lainie
Just wanted to check if curcumin is still helping for spasticity. I may order some.
Thanks a lot.
Lainie
Family Member

Post by Lainie »

It is still helping! Whenever I have to walk, I notice how much easier it is.

For example, yesterday I took my 7 year-old to the park. As per our usual routine, I sit on the bench while he plays. Yesterday we were there for 3 hours, and it was very cool out. Normally, after sitting for several hours, in chilly weather, my legs would be stiff as boards. I would have to almost drag my feet along as I limped back to our car. But yesterday when I stood up to go, I could actually bend my knees while I walked! I walked, not dragged, to the car. I am still using my cane, but it is so much easier with the curcumin!

I hope if you choose to try it, it works the same for you!

(By the way, I also found that they carry it at my local Whole Foods store.)
kattalina

Re: Curcumin really helps my spasticity!

Post by kattalina »

I just ordered Schwartz brand that also has bioperine. Only on second day of this but your post gave me great hope. Will update with progress. Tx. I am open to replies here..,